The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Going to Chicago in April - what do I need to do?

Going to the Windy City for a few days with some family - any restaurants, sights, museums I have to see?? Guitar stores?

I’m going to to do an architecture river cruise and I’m going to Chicago Music Exchange for sure!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:54 AM

If you want Old Chicago, stay at the Blackstone. Its close to everything and gives you a taste of early 20th century Chicago. They filmed some scenes from "The Untouchables" there.

Don't miss seeing the Lions of Tzabo at the Natural History museum. They are the actual animals that were depicted in the movie "The Ghost and The Darkness"
Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Never been there myself , but I heard that Jesus done left Chicago and he's bound for New Orleans .
Enjoy your trip and stay safe .
Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Certainly don't miss spending some time at Chicago Music Exchange!

Then go across the street for a cup of coffee and a danish.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Certainly don't miss spending some time at Chicago Music Exchange!

Then go across the street for a cup of coffee and a danish.
+1. I'm working in Chicago now and I've been to CME a few times. Some amazing guitars, both acoustic and electrics. They have over 100 Gibson Les Pauls on a wall (not counting epiphones). The Strat/Tele section is even bigger.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:02 AM

The architecture cruise is great-- just make sure to wear sunscreen (even in April) and make sure the Dave Matthews Band isn't in town

CME is definitely must see for a guitar player.

Acoustic musicians should always check out what's going on at the Old Town School of Folk Music. They also have a store, Different Strummer, which is small but cozy and pleasant. The have great concerts and clinics as well.

Let me know if you need food ideas...there's a lot more to Chicago than Deep Dish (but if you want it, I'll send you to the best place)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Staying near both of Michigan Ave. and the river can make it extra fun for a family trip. There are a lot of nice places to stay. Not all might have parking as you could be used to. A bus pass and phone app are a great help to get around a little farther or faster.

Kids involved? With kids staying near the area I'm describing is even nicer. You can walk to a lot of places that keep everyone happy. For us kids of all ages always like Dylan's Candy Bar.

There are too many food places I consider good to rattle off. I suggest apps such as Yelp and Zomato and searching for good crowd sourced vs paid ad reviews.

Consider getting tickets for some places ahead of time.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:06 PM

If you are a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, a trip to Oak Park is a must. You can tour Wright's home and studio and walk the neighborhood with the most concentrated group of Wright designed homes anywhere. I think they have an open house tour at certain times of the year.
Unity Temple is also in Oak Park and is a Wright masterpiece.
The Robie House is also a great example of Wright's genius. It is on Woodlawn Ave near the University of Chicago.

Last edited by architype; 03-21-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruton View Post
Going to the Windy City for a few days with some family - any restaurants, sights, museums I have to see?
Do a Google search.

Last edited by Inyo; 03-22-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Stockyards, a must smell.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Stockyards? Only if you came in a time machine!

Steaks- if you want huge, good, flavorful but expensive steaks and deserts to die for, try Gibson's at 1028 N Rush St.

I've done the architecture cruise and I'd do it again.

I've done the Blackstone. I wouldn't do that again. Nope. Too many nice, newer hotels north of the loop to stay in a dinosaur located that far south.

Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry are worthwhile.

CME is ok. Large selection but CHICAGO prices.

Last edited by auggie242; 03-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM

If the Cubbies are in town, a trip to Wrigley Field can be kinda special.

Lots of good theatre in Chicago.

I haven't been there in many years, so don't know the restaurant scene. But I would advise against using Yelp: they delete positive reviews for those who don't pay an advertising fee, so it isn't nearly as objective as it appears.

Do try to get a Chicago hot dog (pickle spears and celery salt make a tasty difference!), and really good deep dish pizza is worth seeking out.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Took my 13 year old on a Daddy/Daughter trip last week for spring break. Sucked it up and bought tickets to Hamilton. Was very skeptical as I'm almost done with the book and did not see how a modern musical could capture and respect all the history in the book.

Boy, was I wrong. The energy in the theater was electric and the show exceeded my expectations. My daughter, who is a big fan of the Hamilton music, cried tears of joy the first ten minutes of the show.

I was hesitant to spend the money on the tickets but in retrospect it was a priceless experience with my daughter.

The Shedd Aquarium is also well done.

Have a good trip.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Last time there, we took an architecture boat tour along the rivers. Absolutely a fabulous time with a knowledgeable, entertaining guide sharing information about Chicago’s architectural history and styles. If interested, I can double check the name of the company provided our tour. There are many different ones.

If you’re a baseball fan, you may be able to see a Cubs and/or White Sox game.
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Things to see depend on your interests, as with all places.

I haven't been to CME in years, but enjoyed my trip there very much.

I've too have done the architecture boat tour. You do get a lot of info and see a bunch of buildings without wearing out your feet walking.

The Art Institute of Chicago is a fine art museum. I like looking at paintings, so that's a must for me.

The Museum of Science and Industry is outstanding. It's big and good of that type. Room there for large stuff. A complete WWII German sub you can tour. Close to my heart, the Art Modern Zephyr streamline train that my dad remembered seeing when he visited the 1933 Chicago World's Fair as a child.

A smaller museum, the Driehaus Museum is the 1883 Guilded Age Nickerson mansion which is worth seeing if you're interested in how the rich lived in that era.

Another endorsement for a correct Chicago hot dog.

Yes, a good theater town. And for something different, entertaining, and historic if you like Saturday Night Live style sketch and improve comedy, take in a show at Second City, where many comedy actors got and still get their start.

I haven't done music venues for more than a decade in Chicago so I don't have anything to add there, but back earlier in this century it was still possible to see live blues in town. Others will probably have more recent recommendations there.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic