The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Default Another post about preamp recommendations for K&K Pure Mini

Hey guys. I know there's a lot of posts similar to this, so I apologize in advance.

I have a Martin dreadnaught with a K&K Pure Mini, and I used to used a Fishman Loudbox Artist, but have since bought a nice PA system, and now run my guitar to the Loudbox, and then the mixed out to my PA. I turn the Loudbox down so i'm not dealing with multiple EQs. At this point, I'm just lugging my Loudbox around like an oversized preamp. As I have a pedal board with basic effects (Boss delay, Hall of Fame reverb, EH 720 Looper pedal, GE-7 EQ pedal, tuning pedal, and Morley volume), I figured I'd get a preamp / DI to throw on my pedal board so I don't have to haul the Fishman amp around.

I would ideally like something that I can do the majority of EQing on while leaving the PA EQ relatively flat. I see people talk about the Fire Eye Red Eye, but with the single treble knob and no gain settings, I feel like most of the tone would need to be shaped on my PA, which I'd rather avoid. I've been looking at the Fishman Platinum Pro or the LR Baggs Venue DI. I don't really need the boost or the built in tuner (and I hear that the built in tuner on both of these are garbage anyways). I hear some people talk about K&K's preamps, but they don't appear to have an effects loop.

Can anyone weigh in the Fishman vs LR Baggs? Would the Fire Eye Red Eye still be the best option given my pickups?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

As you have an EQ pedal on your board, why do you want a Pre-amp/DI with EQ controls too? That would be three lots of EQ in your signal chain!

With the GE-7 on your board, I'm pretty certain the Red-Eye would do fine.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 PM

how much are you willing to spend?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:58 PM

$300 is my max, preferably.

As for the GE-7, that's a good call. I could use that to add extra EQ to the Fire Eye if needed...
Old 03-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseordinance View Post
…Thanks for any thoughts!
Hi No and welcome to the forum!

I've used a Baggs ParaDI for years as a loaner to run guy's rigs who had no preamp, and it works fine.

Last year I replaced it with a Fishman Platinum STAGE preamp which is more modern, has all the control I need, is housed in aluminum, and really pairs well with K&K Pure Mini pickups.

It costs $150, runs on phantom power (or 9V internal) has input gain as well as volume out, auto ground lift, and switchable/selectable lo-roll off.

It's small enough to go in my pick drawer (or the backpack pocket on my Voyage Air) and has several bonuses over other preamps including. And you can elect pre-or-post EQ when feeding the line level (via XLR) to the board.

I've used many decent preamps and this is a no-frills winner…kind of the sleeper of the acoustic preamp lines around these days.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
$300 is my max, preferably.

As for the GE-7, that's a good call. I could use that to add extra EQ to the Fire Eye if needed...
Grace design bix . probably best bang for you bucks

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/bix/bix.htm
Old 03-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi No and welcome to the forum!

I've used a Baggs ParaDI for years as a loaner to run guy's rigs who had no preamp, and it works fine.

Last year I replaced it with a Fishman Platinum STAGE preamp which is more modern, has all the control I need, is housed in aluminum, and really pairs well with K&K Pure Mini pickups.

It costs $150, runs on phantom power (or 9V internal) has input gain as well as volume out, auto ground lift, and switchable/selectable lo-roll off.

It's small enough to go in my pick drawer (or the backpack pocket on my Voyage Air) and has several bonuses over other preamps including. And you can elect pre-or-post EQ when feeding the line level (via XLR) to the board.

I've used many decent preamps and this is a no-frills winner…kind of the sleeper of the acoustic preamp lines around these days.

Thank you for the reply! My understanding is that it doesn't have an effects loop. Would I be able to go from the Fishman out to effects to the PA, or would this sound bad?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

Interesting, I've not heard this one recommended in the past. Do you have one?

If it makes any difference, my PA system is a pair of EV ZLX-12Ps and an ELX-115P sub using a Behringer XAir XR12 mixing system.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for the reply! My understanding is that it doesn't have an effects loop. Would I be able to go from the Fishman out to effects to the PA, or would this sound bad?
Hi No
Most of the guys I mix for who use effects are not going through an effects loop…just putting the preamp last in line. Perhaps someone here could answer that better. I don't use effects, so I'm not the guy to ask.

If an effects loop is mandatory, then there are some higher end preamp options out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 PM

I run a PZ Deluxe... no effect loop... I have Chorus, Delay, Comp, Looper, Harmony Singer running into it. No Problem. You just have to be aware of the level stepping along the way. Gain staging.

I use these sparingly and once I did the initial setup, other than the odd tweak for a change in effect or something it's set and forget.

Kris
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

Looks great but no sweepable mids which are a must for K&K. The Grace Alix has a better EQ but a lot more $$$.

I had the K&K XLR preamp but it did nothing for me so I traded it for an LR Baggs Para DI. Love it. Pairs great with the K&K. My only complaint is the tiny knobs can be hard to see on a dark stage.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi No
Most of the guys I mix for who use effects are not going through an effects loop…just putting the preamp last in line. Perhaps someone here could answer that better. I don't use effects, so I'm not the guy to ask.

If an effects loop is mandatory, then there are some higher end preamp options out there.

I prefer to hit the preamp first so the pickup sees a high impedance (1M). The LR Baggs Para DI has an efx loop. Thats where I place my volume pedal and reverb. The reverb can also connect to a PA mixer in the channel insert or the effects loop.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

My (simple) signal chain has K&K Pure pickups into >TCElectronic PolyTune Mini>Source Audio 4-Channel Programmable EQ>Boss CE-5 Chorus>Orchid Muting DI. Simple, in-line chain, no FX-Loop.

Input-Zs of the first two devices are 1meg, and the active DI is 1meg. Does everything I need.

BTW - the input-Z of the Baggs Para-DI is 10meg. I initially had one of those but I couldn't live with the excessive, hugely-bloated bass-response which took a lot of EQ to control, so I sold it on and used the proceeds to purchase the Orchid, which is an 'active' box with Phantom or battery power, and which gives perfect, balanced results needing very little EQ.

As always, The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 AM

The BBE Acoustimax preamp might be another one which fits the bill. It's got an effects loop, good EQ section, it's rather inexpensive.
I haven't tried it myself but only heard good things about it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I've not heard this one recommended in the past. Do you have one?

If it makes any difference, my PA system is a pair of EV ZLX-12Ps and an ELX-115P sub using a Behringer XAir XR12 mixing system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbNAtEkO-Q

I use grace designs Felix which is their two
channel preamp . I play guitar and mandolin
in the band and think this is the best preamp
on the mkt right now. The bix is just its baby
brother. If you need more options their alix
is a more expensive fuller featured pre ((about 600)
but the bix is right around 300.
I've had the felix for a few years and it's powerful
well thought out very versatile preamp. very quiet and
transparent. Search the forum for felix . There is a few
threads touting it. Like i said the bix is the baby brother.
Your pa system should make no difference.
I didn't have good luck with the baggs para di.
i think there is an impedance mismatch with kk pickups.( 10mgohms for the para 1mgohm for the kk)
the bix has dip switches on the back to select low freq high or low range and high
frequency high or low range. Covers 20hz to 20k hz ..no need for "sweepable mids" .
If that was such a big worry the " Red eye" preamp would not be so popular.
You could also run the pre into your loudbox with good results for times you don't need the pa.
And of course as in all amplification...YMMV.

Last edited by varmonter; 03-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification