The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 AM

Man those huge rectangular iscence plates are funky!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
This is my son's Type 23 (Limited edition of 50).

No power steering, no servo brakes, need a crow bar to get me in and out of it and the audio system is useless over 50mph - After gripping the steering wheel for a 200 mile trip the fitbit on the wrist clocked up 10,000 steps.......... But I love driving it

Go Kart is correct - go get one.
I told the dealer I'd take it if it would fit in the back of my Acura TSX Sportswagon. It was a close call.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Well, let's talk about Lucas electronics. They have had a bad rap forever. I don't get it. Why would a car maker use Lucas? And why didn't Lucas ever attempt to improve their product? I rode a BSA and can attest to their lack of reliance. I love old classic cars but it needs to be turn key without useless fuss. Who needs to say, "Yeah, I bought a '63' Jag but she won't run in the rain."
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM

My only chance to use a favorite joke here:

"Why do the English drink warm beer?"

"Because Lucas makes the refrigerators."

If you are looking for a Midget because you know and accept what you are getting into (including the tight seating already mentioned) then I doubt you'd be posting on a acoustic guitar forum asking for advice. And adding "daily driver" to your question only adds to the mystery--it's all like a way too meta joke.

If it's a serious question, then the advice to look at a Miata or Mini is valid. If it's a hobby/obsession thing, drop the daily driver idea.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 03-12-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Well, let's talk about Lucas electronics. They have had a bad rap forever. I don't get it. Why would a car maker use Lucas? And why didn't Lucas ever attempt to improve their product? I rode a BSA and can attest to their lack of reliance. I love old classic cars but it needs to be turn key without useless fuss. Who needs to say, "Yeah, I bought a '63' Jag but she won't run in the rain."
Old 03-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Lucas humor, from one who has spent hours up his own positive ground:

LUCAS ELECTRICS: "A proper gentleman does not motor about after dark."

Electrical systems and components from Lucas Incorporated were featured on many English and Italian cars. Besides being literally backwards (positive ground) from everyone else, they had an annoying habit of failing at exactly the wrong time, ie. in the dark of pitch-black night. Given the universality of the disastrous electrical failure experience, it was inevitable that some wag would name Lucas the "Prince of Darkness". Examples of typical "dark" Lucas humor:

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

(From my webpage)

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426 View Post
Man those huge rectangular iscence plates are funky!
one more reason Alpha won’t sell any of those cars that HHP posted, nowhere to stick the compulsory ugly plate.

I have been reading all the recommendations for the “Miata” without realising it is what we call the “MX5” here.
I think you said the car was for your son ? I have scoured the web, but can not find any evidence of a man ever owning one of those.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
We had a 1989 Jag XJS V-12..best audio system and smoothest ride of all time. The engine caught on fire 3 different times!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM

How about some British muscle? Jensen Interceptor.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
How about some British muscle? Jensen Interceptor.

My dad had one back in the 70's. Beautiful car but reliability was not it's strong point. My dad however, was a big Alfa fan, had loads of them, so breaking down on the motorway was a regular occurence.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Anyone remember the E Type Jaguar ? They were quite nice looking cars (IMO).
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Anyone remember the E Type Jaguar ? They were quite nice looking cars (IMO).
Gets my vote for most beautiful car ever.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM

Of course MG were a cut above the worst British sports cars available at the time, Sunbeam Alpine anyone ? Triumph TR7 ? !!

Legend has it that when legendary Italian car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro first clapped eyes on the TR7 in 1974, he walked around the car, paused for a moment, and then cried: “My god! They’ve done the same on this side as well!”
Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Gets my vote for most beautiful car ever.
For Brit sportscars, my vote goes to the older sibling, the McQueen Jag.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I once owned 67 Alpha Romeo Spyder. You know the story....two happy days. The day I bought it and the day some poor fool bought it from me. You want to talk about high maintenance....get yourself a 67 Alpha.
Similar tale of woe. I had a 69 Alpha GTV. It was very fast (between expensive repairs). I got the car in Germany when I was n the Air Force. It was US spec and I thought I would bring it home.. NO Way !!

Worst auto decision ever. For what I paid for the Alpha, I could have had a new VW or Opel. Many weekend trips NOT taken for fear the Alpha would strand me.

Lee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic