The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default I Can't Make You Love Me by Reid & Shamblin (cover)

This is my cover of Bonnie Raitt's song "I Can't Make You Love Me," written by Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin. This song is from her 1991 album "Luck of the Draw." This is a piano song written for a woman's range, so I transposed it and did the best I could to make this also a song for guitar. I hope you like this -- thank you for listening!

The guitar is my Sheppard GA Ave Maria.

This is the last song I will be able to do for a while as I will be having my rescheduled hip joint replacement surgery on Tuesday of next week. I have always loved this song so decided to figure it out while I could still hold a guitar on my lap.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM

Rich and soulful, Glenn! thanks for sharing this. The camera angles showcasing that beautiful guitar are also really cool! Lovely inlays that I don't think I've noticed before.
Best of luck next week.......I really can't imagine prepping for that kind of procedure, but from all folks indicate, it's great on the other side with hopefully being pain free and mobile.
Looking forward to your return to AGF soon!!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 PM

Great arrangement of a wonderful song, Glenn. Not an easy one, I’m guessing. Good luck with your surgery.

Roger
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Rich and soulful, Glenn! thanks for sharing this. The camera angles showcasing that beautiful guitar are also really cool! Lovely inlays that I don't think I've noticed before.
Best of luck next week.......I really can't imagine prepping for that kind of procedure, but from all folks indicate, it's great on the other side with hopefully being pain free and mobile.
Looking forward to your return to AGF soon!!
Fred
Thank you Fred! I appreciate that you are listening! Thanks so much for your comments.

And yes, the Sheppard really is a work of art as well as a beautiful sounding guitar!

Thanks for your good wishes on the surgery. Having been through this once on my left side in mid-October, I feel fairly confident that things will go well this time, as well.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Great arrangement of a wonderful song, Glenn. Not an easy one, I’m guessing. Good luck with your surgery.

Roger
Thank you Roger!

It was not terribly easy to work out. But I know the song well from Bonnie Raitt and I've been listening to her sing it for years. So having the song image in my head really does help me work through the rough spots. And then after a couple of frustrating hours, it started to fall together. I spent a few days practicing this and working out how to play it.

Thanks, too, for the kind thoughts and good wishes on my upcoming surgery. I am trying not to think about it too much except to believe that everything will come out okay. I am an optimist.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 PM

Super arrangement. Always been a favorite song. Love your performance.Good luck from me too Glenn.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Wow awesome Glenn . No doubt you were into that song . Well done sir 😁
Best luck on the surgery you’ll be back up and playing in no time .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbaroque View Post
Super arrangement. Always been a favorite song. Love your performance.Good luck from me too Glenn.
Thank you so much FB!

I'm so glad you are listening and thought that this came out okay. And thanks for the good wishes on the surgery.

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Wow awesome Glenn . No doubt you were into that song . Well done sir ��
Best luck on the surgery you’ll be back up and playing in no time .
Hi Riakstonic,

Thank you for watching! I was into the song; I can't help it, because the song takes so much energy to sing and because -- well, we've just about all of us experienced that kind of situation. It's a song so many of us can identify with.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Regarding when I will be able to record again, last time it was about 7 weeks after the surgery until I was able to make a video. So that's a pretty good break, but it's for a good cause.

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Glenn,

I cover this song in my set and I have to say I truly love your arrangement on this. So rich and reaching into ones' emotions thru your voice and chord choices and phrasing....and bro the tone of that guitar, wow, it helps take you there to where this song reaches into.

Eloquent my brother, well done!

eric
Old 02-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Guest 33123

Awesome Glenn! Best wishes on your surgery.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Glenn,

I cover this song in my set and I have to say I truly love your arrangement on this. So rich and reaching into ones' emotions thru your voice and chord choices and phrasing....and bro the tone of that guitar, wow, it helps take you there to where this song reaches into.

Eloquent my brother, well done!

eric
Thanks so very much Eric!

It means a lot to receive this kind of response from you! I am totally flattered! Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment here, Eric! I'm glad you like the way this came out, and how cool that you also cover this song! It gives you a special perspective!

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Awesome Glenn! Best wishes on your surgery.
Thank you Doug!

I very much appreciate your kind words! And thanks for the good thoughts and wishes on my upcoming surgery!

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Hey, Glenn, I was thinking of covering this song, and you just gave me another gift. I am like you in that if I know the melody I can work out a version in a short time. I have a St. Patrick’s Day gig where this song won’t fit, but I fly back to San Diego to play with my trio at La Costa Coffee Roasting in April and will have it in the quiver by then. I expect you will give me another inspiring tune by that time. Recover well. Your recordings heard with earphones are magical.
Oh, I may have to capo only one, as that’s a vocal stretch up there!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Hey, Glenn, I was thinking of covering this song, and you just gave me another gift. I am like you in that if I know the melody I can work out a version in a short time. I have a St. Patrick’s Day gig where this song won’t fit, but I fly back to San Diego to play with my trio at La Costa Coffee Roasting in April and will have it in the quiver by then. I expect you will give me another inspiring tune by that time. Recover well. Your recordings heard with earphones are magical.
Oh, I may have to capo only one, as that’s a vocal stretch up there!
Thank you Larry for the kind words and encouragement! I think it would be great if you could do this song with your trio in April. It's an honor to be giving you ideas.

I do hope I can provide you another song or two by April, but we will see how my recovery goes. And thank you also for the well wishes there. I feel confident that things will go as well as they did last time. It will be good for me to have two reliable hip joints for the next 15-20 years so I can continue to enjoy the outdoors and so I can continue doing physical work on my place here.

Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell