The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Henderson Kolk Duo!!

It is well worth seeing this duo if you ever have the chance!

What a treat to see these two play live. I got to see them as they toured through Saskatchewan last weekend. They are wonderful musicians and great entertainers. The performance was lively and also fun. Drew Henderson handled most of the talking in-between pieces to give some context and some humor, Mike Kolk talked a little as well. They didn't talk on too much, just enough really. In fact, I could of handled more technical explanations... but many in attendance were not guitarists.

Their technique was wonderful. Their tone was beautiful. I saw them in the Rosthern Station Arts which is a nice theater. Not too small, not too big. The guitars were mic-ed but sounded very natural. Literally like a guitar, just louder. I was sitting very close and got a mix of natural and amplified. There was some moderate reverb added. The way Drew and Mike are synced together is amazing to me. I believe they have played together since 2004. Their intonation was impeccable... and I am SUPER picky. Great instruments but also great technique.

Having their arrangements of some well known pieces incorporating the increased range of the 8 string was very nice. I was quite surprised to see their use of natural harmonics and even some cascading harmonics. I didn't realize the ultra traditional realm of classical guitar would allow such things. Most pieces they play are their own arrangements.

It is well worth searching on YouTube for the "Henderson Kolk Duo", but here's one famous piece that utilizes the 8 strings added range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical