The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Guitar with a pick up prefitted for percussive play

Hi all... First post for a newbie to the forum.
I have read lots and lots about combining pick ups for percussive play amplification BUT I am looking for an acoustic that already has a pickup that is decent for picking up the body beats etc.
Am not looking to spend a fortune so please keep this in mind .
So any budget/ mid range models that anyone can recommend ??
I'm UK based.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Faith have just released a percussive Venus model:
https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars...tro-percussive

Much cheaper is the Alvarez AF60CE this has a blend system also with a SBT and UST.
https://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/guitars...ic-natural.htm

Is there any reason you are against putting an aftermarket pickup in?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

Last edited by Nick84; 03-22-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Will have a look at the alva . I should have stated minimum 46 mill nut in my question ! Sorry.
Thanks though
Old 03-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Had a look at the link for the Alvarez but it's a sys550 so no good . It's the sys650 that I will have have look for . Cheers Nick
Old 03-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Buy an acoustic you like unplugged, then put in a Baggs M80...it picks up harmonics, taps and beats very well without the feedback issues. I've used it effectively for my reggae percussive style in a Goodall, Lowden and currently in my D18.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 AM

Have looked at the baggs a few times and it comes with people stating that it's good for percussive BUT all of the you tube demo's I have seen ( not many) don't seem to back up the recommendation.
The body hits seem very subdued.
Are there any you know of that back up your claims ??
Cheers
Old 03-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravanman View Post
Have looked at the baggs a few times and it comes with people stating that it's good for percussive BUT all of the you tube demo's I have seen ( not many) don't seem to back up the recommendation.
Cheers
Have you seen Doug's review? Some percussion demos towards the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_9rEHy5sM
Old 03-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Yeah JB that's one I have seen.
I am looking for a video that shows nail tapping / thumb slaps etc . Plus I tried a soundhole pick up previously and kept clipping it accidentally.
So The search goes on. Lol
Old 03-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravanman View Post
Cheers
* Yes, my own! Here is my live reggae rendition of RUDE...I use light percussive technique to enhance the song yet without overdoing it which I prefer. Some folks pad the mounts which reduces the percussive aspect of the pickup. I currently don't pad mine on the D18, but I did on my Goodall initially to protect the soundhole rim, but even then you can still hear my taps even as I do it lightly. Nails, thumps, harmonics whatever will get picked up, but if you don't learn the technique in conjunction with this particular pickup you may be hitting the mag itself and start gettin clicking noise, it was never a problem for me. It may not be for you, but maybe worth a try. CHEERS!!

** Secondly, back to your original request, I think one of the best if not THE best prefitted pickup system that works excellent for percussive technique is Takamine's Palathetic system in their MIJ models with any of the 3 interchangeable onboard preamps...I've used them extensively and still do as full-time musician up and down the coast, plus they can take a beating. If you want to see for yourself, check out Jake Allen on Youtube to further "back up my claims".
btw...Takamine has their branded version of the M80 called the Triax made by Baggs and comes in black. You can add it as a second source and plugs right into the Cooltube preamp that has a built in volume for a second source...you'll be hard-pressed to find anything that will work better for what your asking...and yes I' know this from experience because I hooked up my M80 to my Cooltube. I took it out tho because the Cooltube was enough on it's own and I needed the M80 for my D18.

Last edited by noledog; 03-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification