The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Loudbox Mini Charge amp?

Is this showing up in stores yet? Just wondering if there are any real world reviews. I have a standard mini but would love the portability of a battery powered amp. Does it sound the same as the standard mini? Any battery issues or other problems?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:48 AM

Saw one at my local Guitar Center last weekend. Looked nice. Didn't try it out.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:17 AM

I played through one just the other day and compared directly to a standard Loudbox Mini. The charge, run on battery, has a similar sound but differs distinctly in two ways. It runs at lower output power (at least on battery, as compared to a mini plugged in the wall sitting next to it) and has a generous cut bass shelf built in. It’s more tame sound that is less romantic, at least given this 15 minute test.

I plugged in an M80 equipt Guild F40 (the M80 isn’t particularly hot on the output) and did not test vocals.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I played through one just the other day and compared directly to a standard Loudbox Mini. The charge, run on battery, has a similar sound but differs distinctly in two ways. It runs at lower output power (at least on battery, as compared to a mini plugged in the wall sitting next to it) and has a generous cut bass shelf built in. It’s more tame sound that is less romantic, at least given this 15 minute test.

I plugged in an M80 equipt Guild F40 (the M80 isn’t particularly hot on the output) and did not test vocals.
So, then you felt the Charge wasn't quite as nice (tone) as the standard?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Depends how you like your tone. I like an artificially big bloom in my bass, so for me, the standard mini is better. If you’re into a more controlled, pure sound, the charge version is more for you. They both sound good and though the difference in he bass isn’t subtle, they sound otherwise very similar.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 AM

Default Loudbox Mini Charge Battery is Sealed Lead Acid

I've got one coming on the UPS truck today. I'll post a review when I've had some time to shake it down. I did contact Fishman support to find out the battery type: sealed lead acid. The downside of SLA is weight, but the plus side is a simple universal charger and a vast selection of batteries for sale which will make future replacement simple (no battery lasts forever).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Depends how you like your tone. I like an artificially big bloom in my bass, so for me, the standard mini is better. If you’re into a more controlled, pure sound, the charge version is more for you. They both sound good and though the difference in he bass isn’t subtle, they sound otherwise very similar.
Sounds like the Charge might play well with a K&K in that case. I notice my warm amps with bass bloom that work well with bright undersaddle piezos (like my Phil Jones Cub) don't sound so good with my K&K equipped guitars, whereas my really clean and neutral Elite Acoustics gear sounds much better with K&K's, but will unmercifully reveal the harshness of undersaddle piezos.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM

I’ve used the Loudbox mini with the Baggs M80 mostly, but also a ton of time on a Fishman undersaddle/PUTW quackbuster combo and also quite a bit of time on a Fishman undesaddle/JJB two sensor combo. I don’t own a K&K so can’t say much about it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur. Is that still the case, or are there better options now? I play fingerstyle only. Have an electric that I play very rarely but, who knows, that might change some day.
Thanks
I recently purchased a Loudbox Mini. I was looking for a decent sounding acoustic amp that was simple, portable (light weight and small) and with minimal but decent effects (i.e. reverb). I already have a nice amp and speaker setup, but wanted something that was quick (grab and go), easy to setup and break down and relatively inexpensive.

Loudbox Mini fit the bill very nicely!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've got one coming on the UPS truck today. I'll post a review when I've had some time to shake it down. I did contact Fishman support to find out the battery type: sealed lead acid. The downside of SLA is weight, but the plus side is a simple universal charger and a vast selection of batteries for sale which will make future replacement simple (no battery lasts forever).

Any more info on the amp? How do you like it?

UPDATE: Never mind, I just found your review on another thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Blueser100; 03-25-2018 at 12:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification