The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Default 2008 R. Taylor Style 1 Sinker Redwood/EIR [TRADED!!]

So it's time to let go of my first fully handmade guitar (or so they say). I never really played it that much, just took it out of the case from time to time to look at it more than play. I was so worried about marking it up that I never really got to enjoy it. I still marvel at what time underwater did to the logs that were lost while being shipped down river more than a century ago in California. Anyway, since this doesn't get much attention, and GAS got the better of me over the last year, this guitar and several others will be moving on.
This guitar sounds beautiful, even in my completely talentless hands. I'd be more specific or attach a sound clip but my skill level doesn't allow that. But I will say that during my ongoing GAS attack over the last two years, I have picked up an Applegate SJ (from Woody aka Mike on AGF), a Charis SJ (on AGF), a Goodall CJ (on AGF), and a Doerr Legacy Select, and this guitar compared favorably to all of them (although the Doerr is the best sounding guitar I've ever heard).
I think this R.Taylor has one of the best sets of sinker redwood that I've seen - striking highlights throughout the grain but not so much that you lose the character of the wood (like some of the darkest sets do). The rosewood on the back and sides is equally beautiful - even though my photography skills are not up to the task of making that obvious. The florentine cutaway is a really nice touch that sets it apart from most other cutaway models.
The only issue on this guitar that I can find is that there is a slight "flaw" in the finish at the seam on the back along the right side of the center ebony stripe. I was not able to get a picture of it. It is about 3-4" long. It's difficult to see but I can feel it if I run my finger over it across the grain so I wanted to be clear about it as part of this sale.
As far as I know, the specs on this Style 1 are the standard specs for this model as follows:

Measurements
Body Size: Jumbo
Scale: 25 11/32 in. (643.6 mm)
Nut Width: 1 3/4 in. (44.5 mm)
String Spacing: 2 3/16 in. (55.65 mm)
Body Length: 20 in.
Upper Bout: 11 3/8 in.
Lower Bout: 16 1/4 in.
Body Depth @Neck Heel: 3 3/4 in.
Body Depth @Tail Block: 4 3/8 in.
Frets to body: 14
Serial #: 2008-013

Price is $[TRADE] including shipping to CONUS (only) and payapl FF. Thanks for looking and happy holidays.

http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/No...or%20Style%201

Last edited by Nochops; 12-27-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Traded - no longer available.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 PM

Pretty cool to have the 13th R. Taylor made! Good luck!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Smile My usual RT info...

R.Taylor was a COMPLETELY SEPARATE COMPANY from Taylor guitars.

Bob Taylor selected Head Luthier Tim Luranc, and the half dozen luthiers of RT to show what they could do in a small shop.
Think Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall, or maybe the Martin Custom Shop, etc! I toured the shop on the edge of the enormous Taylor campus in El Cajon, when custom ordering, and it was about the size of a four car garage.

R.T guitars took about three times longer to make than ANY Taylor, due to extensive individual voicing, tap tuning, and A LOT of handwork. Unfortunately they turned out to be in competition with Taylor's Build To Order and custom guitar programs. They ceased production at the end of 2011. I have it on good authority from the folks I know who worked at R.T. that if they ever start up production again the guitars will be a lot more expensive!

R.Taylor only made about 200 guitars a year for six years. In contrast the two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per day!

R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made lighter and braced lighter. That needs to be done by hand, resulting in more volume, and better tone!
Also, the "snake head" headstock yields smoother tuning due to a straighter string angle over the nut. The different bridge design has quite a bit less mass. And the Gotoh 510 tuners cannot be beat!

I hope this helps! BOLOTS!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for adding that info. It is a fine guitar and I'm sure the new owner will be very pleased.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Ready for the weekend bump!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:54 PM

This looks like a great guitar at a very fair price. These sinker RTaylors are fantastic and in my opinion, priced well below true value for what you get. You see extremely few sinkers available for sale, so don't hesitate!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Smile Not a Jumbo...

Your specs call it a Jumbo.

Same size as a Taylor Grand Symphony. (GS). Or X-16 size.

16.25" lower bout. Jumbo would be 17"

All looks good otherwise!!!

BOLOTS

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Traded to a great AGFer. Happy New Year.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars