The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor T5Z micro-review

In *THIS* thread I "blogged" my restoration project on a brand new but damaged Taylor T5z-12 (that was dropped in Sweetwater's warehouse, smashing the body).

I'm 98% done with it and will post a NGD once complete. I often write small posts and call them "mini reviews" of something. Well, this is a precursor to my NGD so I'm calling it a "micro-review."

I have the T5z-12 (twelve-string classic version) but my thoughts are mostly geared toward the whole guitar line:

My overall impression is that this is an amazingly versatile guitar. The 5-way pickup options truly have such a varied offering. The five different settings are truly each unique, in their own way.

With a little phaser, some compression and using the soundboard sensor (not piezo) plus the neck humbucker, this thing truly sounds acoustic, through my Fender Acoustasonic acoustic amp.

My first impressions are that this product line is pretty impressive. Like my Taylor SB1 I had, this electric plays and feels like all my Taylor acoustics. The 12-string version is quite head-heavy and the body is remarkably light so it's a little tippy.

I tore this entire guitar apart to rescue it and the build quality is impeccable.

One thing I noticed, is that the neck humbucker coils are spaced a couple inches apart. One is actually attached to the neck and unplugs when you remove the neck. The other is mounted (hidden) under the soundboard).

With separate plug-ins it should be easy to split or tap the coils. I'm surprised Taylor didn't do this.

Coil tapping (or even just splitting) would be very easy as a mod. You could even do it with little Molex connectors so its plug-and-play and removable.

I don't think I'll keep this guitar long run - not because of the guitar (which I love) but it's really more of a performer's guitar - I already have a Taylor 12-string acoustic for when I want to play acoustic songs. If I was a performer I would definitely be keeping this one. I love the guitar. I'll keep it a while and enjoy it. As a non-performer, all those pickup options (especially on a 12-string) are overkill for my home music-world.

The versatility comes from being able to sound like an acoustic or over drive an amp for distorted electric playing. On the six string versions this makes tons of sense. The 12-string isn't played with distortion much so that's not really all that important. It doesn't take away from the guitar, but it's just "extra goodness" that I won't use much.

I don't know if its simply the "newness" of it but I can't put this down - for some reason it's just so much fun to play.

If anything, this is seriously giving me some GAS for the 6-string version.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 11-23-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

OK, I just (today) sold this guitar.

Now, that's going to seem strange: raving about a guitar and writing a glowing review but selling it.

Well, here is the thing: I take a very practical view of things. I sold it for $625 (brand new but cosmetically imperfect). So I have to ask myself. if I have $625 cash on the table and this guitar on the table, which would I choose?

Well, I loved this guitar but it won't get much use from me - I am not a performer and I already have an acoustic Taylor 12-string. So I loved it but it wouldn't get enough playing time from me.

What made me realize that was the pickup flexibility. I was playing around with this with my amp and realized that's where this thing really shines! But I almost never play amplified and never play out - so, I will have this wonderful flexible guitar that is not all that "useful" in my world.

Also, I realized that several of the five pickup options are geared for traditional electric playing - they even advertise those selections as ideal for distortion and crunch. Well....who plays a 12-string with distortion?

But, this did make me think that this must be an amazing guitar in the traditional 6-string configuration. I kept wishing I had a 6-string version instead. That's when I realized it.

I think this guitar would be ideal for a 12-string performer. A worship performer comes to mind.

I've been playing 12-strings my whole guitar life and my Taylor acoustic is wonderful but this takes it to a whole new level. The light strings, slim neck, narrow nut, tight spacing make this simply the easiest 12-string I've ever played.

And something about the body is ergonomically perfect. It feels so good on my arm I didn't even opt for a John Pearse armrest (although I did buy one for it).

Now, it is a very thin body semi-hollow. So, it sounds a bit thin when played acoustically.

So I have mixed feelings....on one hand the design, comfort, and build quality are excellent. The innovative flexibility are also amazing. But, in the 12-string configuration, much of the attractiveness of that is not as strong.

I would highly, highly recommend a 6-string version of this guitar. If you can get one (like I did) for very cheap, then it's a good move for an amplified performer, otherwise it's beautiful but not all that practical.

A+ for the T5z guitar family design, quality and features, overall.
B- for the 12-string version. Not because of any issues - it's just not that useful.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 PM

Bringing guitars back from the dead and moving them along is a fabulous hobby IMHO. Practically a public service. You apparently have the tech skills, so have a blast, and never feel the need to explain your decisions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars