The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Balance in the Electric Guitar World

True balance has finally been achieved in the electric guitar world when you can finally afford the Huge Marshall Stack* you always wanted but no longer desire to carry or store it or to play it as loudly as it requires to sound good.

That is all.

Bob

* Or Fender Twin

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Isn't that true. I am always looking for lighter gear. I did break the rules yesterday as I picked up an 18" bass cabinet. I've always wanted one for that B string growl. --Darwin
Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob womack View Post
...no longer desire to carry or store it or to play it as loudly as it requires to sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pursuit of happiness
speaking of hearing, i can't take too much loud music
i mean i like to play it, but i sure don't like the racket

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-15-2016, 02:02 PM

that's why i'm keeping my small wattage amps-76 champ, 59 princeton, vox ac15(small watts but pretty hefty) and 66 deluxe reverb. i'm getting rid of my 3 bassman amps as well as a few high wattage, high heft amps. can't carry them anymore. now to figure out how to ship the things.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I hear there's another phase, where you rationalize getting a bigger house with a long dedicated room and a wireless cord, for the Huge Marshall Stack you always wanted that never leaves the room. I haven't gotten there yet.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 11-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Guest4562

Exactly. Now that I understand why I want a Marshall, I don't want one.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
True balance has finally been achieved in the electric guitar world when you can finally afford the Huge Marshall Stack* you always wanted but no longer desire to carry or store it or to play it as loudly as it requires to sound good.

That is all.

Bob

* Or Fender Twin
Depends on your definition of "sound good" - I came of age on the classic "big clean" early/mid-60's tube amp tone exemplified by the late-blonde/blackface Fenders and blue-check Ampegs used within their original design parameters, and that's still my Holy Grail guitar tone; also caught Les Paul playing a club gig through a silverface Twin on 2, and he sounded real good to me...
Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 PM

At some point in time you have to be extremely honest with yourself about what you are doing. Chances are you are NEVER going to be as good as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton when he was with Cream, Jeff Beck or Stevie Ray Vaughan. So, unless you're playing a lot of gigs at really large venues, you are not going to need all that volume generated by a Marshall stack or even a Fender Twin. A realistic appraisal of what you're doing and what you need to accomplish it usually results in a movement to smaller, more portable amps. Even in my case, I've had the opportunity to buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at a good price, but what do I need all that volume for? I'm not playing gigs in a band and I don't need to scare my neighbors.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
At some point in time you have to be extremely honest with yourself about what you are doing. Chances are you are NEVER going to be as good as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton when he was with Cream, Jeff Beck or Stevie Ray Vaughan. So, unless you're playing a lot of gigs at really large venues, you are not going to need all that volume generated by a Marshall stack or even a Fender Twin. A realistic appraisal of what you're doing and what you need to accomplish it usually results in a movement to smaller, more portable amps. Even in my case, I've had the opportunity to buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at a good price, but what do I need all that volume for? I'm not playing gigs in a band and I don't need to scare my neighbors.
Wise words indeed. I don't expect I'll ever gig again. Right now, I'm eyeing the Egnater Tweaker 15 head and its accompanying Blackstar cab in my palatial (less than 100 sq. ft.) basement office, and thinking - this is just too much.

Of course, I'm completely seduced by the new Roland JC-22, so these are not the thoughts of a rational man
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm 54, and I don't currently own an amp over 15 watts. That said, I cannot walk by a used Twin in a shop with out pawing it. I know I have no use for it. I know it. Seriously, I do.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
What do you mean you don't need to scare your neighbors? What's with that?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I suppose what got the thread started was an amp I looked at recently that had the potential to fulfill a long-standing dream of mine. But darn, it wasn't small...

Truth be told, the Marshall stacks were only needed back when the P.A. systems could only handle the vocals. A short time after the days of the rock guitar "gods," P.A.s developed to the point where the big amps simply weren't needed. With the amps mic'd and with monitors or IEMs, you can use a 6 watt combo or, like Billy Gibbons, a Marshall JMP-1 rack preamp hidden behind unused amps or fancy boxes and run it directly into the P.A., if that can get you your sound.

These days, because I really don't know what opportunity will show up tomorrow, I've got a range from a '71 Fender Champ 6 watter up to a 45 watt 1973 Traynor YRM-1 head for big, clean power and no item is heavier than 45 pounds. Being on the deep end of my fifth decade I'm just glad my wife bought me a hand truck.

But expect more on the subject...

Bo

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 AM

I just have a Carr Rambler. Used to want a half stack. Haven't been in a band for about 3 years and zero prospects. I have an Ampeg stack for bass. Half tempted to sell it since it's just collecting dust.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Truth be told, the Marshall stacks were only needed back when the P.A. systems could only handle the vocals. A short time after the days of the rock guitar "gods," P.A.s developed to the point where the big amps simply weren't needed.

Bo
For those unaware of the story behind Geddy Lee's "backline", he used to plug direct into the PA for his Bass. Management told him it didn't look look "rock n roll" enough, and he needed gear behind him. So he started putting Laundry Dryers, and various other pieces of hardware behind himself. See below if you've ever wondered how to mic a rotisserie chicken machine...

In all seriousness though, your quandary is what led to my purchase of a Mesa Transatlantic 15 to be my last real amp. Passable voices for Vox, Fender, Marshall, and Boogie (older boogies, not sextuple rectifiers ).

With switching for Class A Single ended 5 watt, Class A 15 watt, or their proprietary dyna-watt 25 watt power.

The only thing missing is an effects loop. But my blackface Bandmaster and Dual Showman don't have one either Just can't bring myself to part with those guys even though they've only been used 2 or 3 times outside the house in the last 12 years.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 AM

I gigged a few years with a Marshall half stack. It fit nicely in my CRV. Don't think I'd want to carry that with my Accord now though. I actually pulled out my Traynor YCV-50 (blue) earlier this week to give it a go. Nice amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars