The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Lately, mostly neck or neck+middle pickup through the orange crunch channel of my JVM, clean but with enough gain to get some distortion if I pick hard enough, maybe with CE-5 chorus and some reverb. I'll sometimes play with my DD-500 in the effects loop, too, or swap to the red crunch channel with less gain. Or I'll go metal with the bridge pickup and the orange overdrive channel, max gain, sometimes with a Fulltone wah used as a tone control. I've sold most of the gear I used to shred with, prefer to keep it simple and do more with my hands and pick and less with pedals.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM

For me, I play weekly in church and that's it. Only a few songs so setup has been refined to under 5 minutes with the following.

MIM Strat with Tex Mex pickups...into Line6 Sonic Port...into iPad Mini...using BiasFX (nice amp & pedal emulations)...out to a DI(to house) and looped to a "personal pa" on a mic stand (Behringer's knockoff of the Mackie).

Very quiet, works fabulous for what I do. All I have to bring in is cords/interface/iPad in one small bag and the guitar.

I'm extremely happy with the setup. Wouldn't change a thing. So, in regards to "voice"...it sounds like anything I want it to be.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 11-15-2016, 04:27 PM

Telecaster with Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups through a home built Fender White Steel Amp 5f2a.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Tele that leans toward P90 in tone and power, through just about any amp, clean or dirty depending on what the song calls for.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 AM

The rig I've been using for gigs is very flexible...haven't found anything that it can't do. The heart of it is an old 1st Gen Line 6 POD that I bought new when they first came out which, through my old Tubeworks TD-752 combo, gets completely convincing tones. Class A? Got three different models including Dumble, AC30 and Matchless DC30. Marshall mayhem? Yup. Fender cooked clean? Got that too with lots of spank and sparkle. There's even a Hiwatt in there.

In the studio, one might be able to tell that I'm using 20 year old modeling tech, or maybe not, but playing live these are completely convincing amp tones, once you get the hang of the tone controls. The upshot is that I have all this stuff on tap with just a few tweaks, and using it through the Tubeworks amp it's capable of extreme volume if needed and the little amp has headroom literally forever. Played a gig at the Melody Ballroom in Portland OR a while back...biggest room I've ever played...the guitar, which wasn't run through the PA, was big and full and the amp volume was only set at about one o'clock.

My default tone seems to be the "British Hi Gain" model that sounds for all the world like a bee-atch of an old Marshall...great for Ritchie Blackmoor style blues-rock. I usually run it semi clean with a ragged edge that I can punch up any time with the TubeDriver preamp in the combo or clean up with the guitar volume. But the other models all have their place, depending on the song. BTW, I use a Boss CS-3 compressor, on at all times, great for overall sustain and for dynamics control when using the Fender models' clean tones...it kind of a secret weapon that really fills out the body of the sound.

I get all this utility with a rig that could be replaced on the used market for about $200.00.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM

Thirty five of my forty four years as a player were electric. Three years ago we morphed into a three piece acoustic (two guitars and a bass) trio. Having two nice Martins has ended my chase for 'the tone'. They have it every time. Pick it up and play, and the sound is just there. No need to plug into an amp, no pedals, just a cord into the PA. It works every time. Not sure where it will lead, and no intention of selling any of my electrics, well maybe one, just to offset the cost of the new Martin.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 11-24-2016, 03:23 PM

For me it's the same Tele I've been playing since 1980, though it's been modified over the years. Right now it's wired with a four-way switch, and I run it through a Tweed Pro I built with a JBL K130. I've found the Sarno Earth Drive is the first dirt box I actually like, so that's my chain these days. I use a Strymon Flint for reverb and tremolo when I want it.

steven
Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Telecaster through a tweed Deluxe is my go-to...
Same here - with a Blackstone Mosfet dirtbox on the whole time . I roll off the volume as needed to clean it up. Keep my Tone rolled off to 5 or so. So fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars