The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Questions on Danelectro Guitars/Sitar's

How good are these inexpensive cool looking electric guitars? Do they stay in tune is my big question.hum on the pick ups.....? I saw their Sitar! Is it good? Again, does it stay in tune? I have a couple hundred set aside for a fun diversion. What are thoughts?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
...I saw their Sitar...does it stay in tune?
Can you say oxymoron...?
Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 AM

KG:

As a long-time player of Danalectros (the originals, not the imports), I have to say that staying in tune is a bit more problematic than some other guitars. Having said that, Danalectros are WONDERFUL guitars with a sound that keeps its signature through most any distortion.

One of the problems with Dannies is in the way they were (and presumably are still) built. The sides, bridge block and neck block were made from pine cut into sections and joined like a jigsaw puzzle to form the shape. The top and back were masonite. There is no center block as in a 335, so the body flexes subtly.

With good tuners, a Dannie will hold its tune reasonably well. The Sitar is awesome, and other Dannies are joys to play. Just ask Jimmy Page, Denny Dias or Syd Barrett (were he still around). Slide on them is KILLER!:

Having rock's greatest drummer helps!

Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:52 AM

I've had the inexpensive U-2 for about 20 years. Light as a feather, sounds like no other electric guitar. The lipstick pickups have a very ballsy-P-90 type sound that I like a lot. I've always been impressed with how great these sound for how little they cost. Never tried the Sitar. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I would recommend as well...the 90s Korean Danos are well pretty made, I have a 6 and 12 string. The 12 has adjustable saddles, the 6 has a wood saddle. I really haven't had major tuning issues, my U2 stays in tune, and that's with stock tuners, which are not great.... The 12 is like a lot of 12 strings, some minor issues. I think the Danos are unique sounding, good playing, inexpensive guitars.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars