The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-18-2016, 06:34 AM

Default Short scale Japanese Telecaster knock-off

Just got this old Japanese Telecaster copy and I'm really happy with it
It's from the Ibanez FujiGen Gakki plant, obscurely branded Dixon. It definety looks 'country' and you would never guess it's from the mid 70s. It's been played once every xmas Personally, I like knock offs that are a bit different. And I have a couple of 70s models on my list

PUs are clean, and never owning an original Tele I couldn't tell if it has that trademark twang. I'm not worried though. I like clean.

New to me though is the short-scale neck. And I wonder if you experienced players could give me any pros and cons on this. (Sound?)
As I have a bit poor technique with my thumb on barre chords, it's suits me fine so far. Finger playing up the neck is not an issue for me.

Last edited by Northward; 11-20-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 PM

SWEEEET!

Very cool and pretty to boot. I don't think I had one of those come through the shop, though we saw quite a few Dixons.

As to scale length, of course the strings will bend easier due to less string tension, and chord positions should be easier due to closer fret spacing.

Luthier Tom Anderson did a white paper some years ago on his experiments with scale length given the same type of instrument (in this case, his signature Teles). He waxed a bit poetic, but he likened short-scale length guitars to a group of family singers: the notes tended to be even and blend very smoothly. His description of long-scale was like that of a group of individuals: powerful and blending with each string showing its individuality.

Have fun!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
SWEEEET!

Very cool and pretty to boot. I don't think I had one of those come through the shop, though we saw quite a few Dixons.

As to scale length, of course the strings will bend easier due to less string tension, and chord positions should be easier due to closer fret spacing.

Luthier Tom Anderson did a white paper some years ago on his experiments with scale length given the same type of instrument (in this case, his signature Teles). He waxed a bit poetic, but he likened short-scale length guitars to a group of family singers: the notes tended to be even and blend very smoothly. His description of long-scale was like that of a group of individuals: powerful and blending with each string showing its individuality.

Have fun!
Thank you, I'm enjoying my Tele copy and yes, it's real pretty! Makes me happy looking at it And man does that bridge PU do a gnarly thin sound with the tone pulled up. How would you describe the quality on the Dixons coming through the shop? Any customer complaints?

I find the short-scale neck easy going. It's a new feeling but I think it works fine for me and my limited skills. It's like it's easier to pick up and have a strum for no particular reason. I like what you wrote here about short-scale necks.

What would you choose of strings a the short-scale neck? Would I be fine with these super light ones:
Old 11-19-2016, 01:05 PM

You can try the .009's, but since the shorter scale guitar has less string tension, you may find the .009-42's to be too "loose", and as such throw your intonation off. On my short scale Danalectros I usually didn't go lower than .010's. The .009's also tend to not work well on shorter scales if you're using a slide as the strings don't support the slide well.

You may just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Regards!
Old 11-19-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
You can try the .009's, but since the shorter scale guitar has less string tension, you may find the .009-42's to be too "loose", and as such throw your intonation off. On my short scale Danalectros I usually didn't go lower than .010's. The .009's also tend to not work well on shorter scales if you're using a slide as the strings don't support the slide well.

You may just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Regards!

That's the type of tip I was looking for. Thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 05:41 PM

Sweet - Congrats! When you mention short scale, is it 24 3/4?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet - Congrats! When you mention short scale, is it 24 3/4?

Thanks! I honestly have no idea

Been playing it for hours tonight
Hope I keep it up. It's my first Telecaster and for the first time I think I get what people dig about them.. It's allways seemed as sort of cult-like too me.

They're easy to play. And there is a primitive elegance in that mic switch design. And never ever will I have anything but single coil PUs.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:25 PM

The spec page doesn't indicate that this is a short scale neck. I can't make out the fraction, but the scale length is listed as 25" and a fraction.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
The spec page doesn't indicate that this is a short scale neck. I can't make out the fraction, but the scale length is listed as 25" and a fraction.

Have no hard data due to second hand and age. But its definitely a shorter neck than your standard electric. At first I was a bit worried it's was a children's guitar I've bought [emoji28] But, the body is normal sized and quite heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Thanks! I honestly have no idea

Been playing it for hours tonight
Hope I keep it up. It's my first Telecaster and for the first time I think I get what people dig about them.. It's allways seemed as sort of cult-like too me.

They're easy to play. And there is a primitive elegance in that mic switch design. And never ever will I have anything but single coil PUs.
Always exciting when you find a guitar you enjoy.

Take a tape measure or ruler and measure from the nut to the bridge. I think a couple of us are curious about the scale length.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Have no hard data due to second hand and age. But its definitely a shorter neck than your standard electric. At first I was a bit worried it's was a children's guitar I've bought [emoji28] But, the body is normal sized and quite heavy.

To find out the scale length of your guitar: measure from the nut to the center of the 12th fret, and multiply that number by 2.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 PM

I just got a 1960's Airline bobKAT short scale 24.25 with a dearmond pick up - it came with Daddario xl 10's. I think it sounds pretty good with those, because of the Dearmond I suppose.

I don't know what the cons are but I like mine for the shortscale, lightweightness, ease of playing and tone.

I play slide and I think, not positive, the short scale harmony, valco, silvertone shortscales of the 60's are taken seriously at least in the slide sector. Here again, I am not sure, but a 70's shortscale has probably a good coolness factor and won't be regarded as a children's guitar. Hope you like it!

Harriet

Last edited by slide496; 11-20-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 AM

That's a really sweet little Ibanez. I think they were better-known for Gibson copies rather than Fender, but they made some outstanding copies of all sorts back in the day before they started eating Gibson's lunch with their own designs.

I never realized those Tele copies were short scale, though. I think if I were stringing that up, I would use nothing lighter than 10-46 and maybe even heavier if I were using open tuning, ala Keef Richards. Might be interesting to pull that ashtray bridge cover off and measure the scale, make any adjustments it may need.

Also, although I use Elixirs on my acoustics, I've come to the conclusion that they lack punch/volume I need from an electric guitar string. My own preference is GHS Boomers because they seem to have a bit more of a bluesy grind to the tone, but any of the major string brands will get you there. Try a few to see what your favorite is on that guitar.

Congrats on a good score...those old Japanese clones are becoming collector pieces these days, especially the ones from companies like Fujigen Gakki, that in many cases are better quality than their USA counterparts from that era.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 PM

Default Short scale Japanese Telecaster knock-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
That's a really sweet little Ibanez. I think they were better-known for Gibson copies rather than Fender, but they made some outstanding copies of all sorts back in the day before they started eating Gibson's lunch with their own designs.

I never realized those Tele copies were short scale, though. I think if I were stringing that up, I would use nothing lighter than 10-46 and maybe even heavier if I were using open tuning, ala Keef Richards. Might be interesting to pull that ashtray bridge cover off and measure the scale, make any adjustments it may need.

Also, although I use Elixirs on my acoustics, I've come to the conclusion that they lack punch/volume I need from an electric guitar string. My own preference is GHS Boomers because they seem to have a bit more of a bluesy grind to the tone, but any of the major string brands will get you there. Try a few to see what your favorite is on that guitar.

Congrats on a good score...those old Japanese clones are becoming collector pieces these days, especially the ones from companies like Fujigen Gakki, that in many cases are better quality than their USA counterparts from that era.

Thank you all. I am really happy with it both how it looks and plays. And I must say this guitar seems very solid built. It's quite heavy wood. Nothing about it feels like any fast produced copy, like I suspect I would've felt did I spend the same or more on a Squier.

And as I happen to find some copies having more personality than their originals, I'm glad I got it.

Thank you for your input about strings!

I haven't found my tape measure but I'm sure it'll pop up..

Silly question maybe, but why make short-scales? Is it about what Harriet writes of, slide playing? Or just about physical preferences?

Old 11-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Short scale guitars are a bit easier to play for some people, as the frets are just a tad closer together. The string tension is less, so easier to do big bends, or you can use slightly heavier strings for a bigger tone and volume without making the guitar too hard to play.

I might be skeptical about what the literature says about the scale, though...I would definitely measure it so you really know, and then while you're at it you can do any fine adjustments to action and intonation it may need.

BTW, if changing string gauge to heavier strings than what this is set up for, you may need to open the nut slots a bit so the new ones don't pinch in there...and if you find that the nut is some cheap plastic or otherwise non-optimal, you can make, or get made, a new one from bone or Tusq, with the action set the way you like it and better tone on open strings.

I'm always hoping I'll stumble across something like this at a yard sale or pawn shop...sometimes I do, but haven't found anything this good, so far.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars