The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Amy,

We are so pleased to hear that you like your new X7 and our little hand-made surprise that came with it . The X7's body is indeed ergonomically designed to sit comfortably on your lap while playing sitting down.

Just recently we got our new batch of bags which are now all green across the range, except for the Synergy X7 (We still have a batch of the previous design).

Wishing you continued enjoyment with your Emerald and best wishes from all the team here in Donegal.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Hi Sean. Not to derail Psfam's NGD thread, but I have to ask.....I own a Chimaera and have the hard shell case. The original gig bag was really big even for the Chimaera, perhaps 6" too long. Has Emerald created a more form-fitting bag for the Chimaera?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hi Sean. Not to derail Psfam's NGD thread, but I have to ask.....I own a Chimaera and have the hard shell case. The original gig bag was really big even for the Chimaera, perhaps 6" too long. Has Emerald created a more form-fitting bag for the Chimaera?
Hi Tom,

Yes, we have a new gig bag for the Chimaera! You can check it out here http://emeraldguitars.com/product/ch...v=d2cb7bbc0d23

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Tom,

Yes, we have a new gig bag for the Chimaera! You can check it out here http://emeraldguitars.com/product/ch...v=d2cb7bbc0d23

Best Wishes,

Sean
Super, thanks. Looks great!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Emerald's got one in the oven for me. Delivery in the early part of 2017.
X7 with wide nut for fingerstyle and a through-bridge so I can't lose bridge pins changing strings whilst bobbing in my sea kayak....

Yours looks great! Have fun!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Emerald's got one in the oven for me. Delivery in the early part of 2017.
X7 with wide nut for fingerstyle and a through-bridge so I can't lose bridge pins changing strings whilst bobbing in my sea kayak....

Yours looks great! Have fun!
Congratulations on your future X7, and extra points for the Steely Dan quote!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM

Beautiful guitar. I'm sure it will give you years of pleasure. Please try to describe a sound comparison with your Martin.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

wow! Very very nice!
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 11-11-2016, 06:51 AM

Default sound

Oh man, that is a hard comparison.

The HD is about three years old and made of cocobolo and Adirondack. It continues to get better (I think). I say that because my initial impression when I bought it new was it was a dreadnought that could be used for finger style, although I purchased it primarily thinking of strumming. Its versatility for a large guitar sold me on it compared to the many I tried that day. Some might hear brashness in that quality, and that is why I say it has gotten better. I think that almost brittle clarity has gotten richer. It has such a wide range from depth and overtones to the twinkle of the high notes. I have wanted to like a 000 better for strumming just for the comfort because I sit to play most of the time, but I just can't get past what this one has.

I have smaller guitars (Lowden S36 koa and Adirondack and Martin 000-28 cocobolo and Sitka) and at home they are what I play most of the time, especially for finger style, and they can be good for strumming, but to my ear they will never replace the HD.

All that as a backdrop to the comparison to show my prejudice for the HD. The Emerald is a small guitar and it is good at what it does. And of course when not playing them back to back I would listen to the Emerald and think, "this is a sweet little guitar." That's the best way to play it, letting it be what it is and getting the most out of it. It isn't as loud, it doesn't have as much in the overtones, but it is clear and clean. It is not at all brash or annoying. It isn't boxy like little guitars are prone to be. The first thing that struck my was the surprising amount of bass. (Note the opposite of what drew me to the HD, the treble in a dreadnought!) Plugged in I actually had to back the bass off to get a better balance and I turned the tone screw on the Anthem almost all the way to the treble. Now that may relate to the nature of the Anthem SL more than the guitar itself.

All that said, they serve different purposes. On any given day at home I will play different guitars. I am most likely to pick up wood because I appreciate beautiful wood. But when the weather gets colder and drier, it is nice to know I can leave the Emerald out and not worry about it. It is nice to know that I can take it anywhere even in the heat of summer and it won't fall apart in the trunk. It is really nice that it actually fits in the trunk along with a few suitcases! And I will remember when I flip it over my shoulder in its gigbag, walk straight through narrow spaces without knocking anything over that it feels like carrying a feather compared to a Geib, Hiscox, or worse yet, an Ameritage case which seriously feels like carrying a weapon.

So comparison? Not all about sound. They sound very different but both are really good. Hope that helps.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Good review Amy, glad your enjoying it, my Rainsong Concert Parlor arrived late yesterday and I will get a chance to play and evaluate it today, have three days to decide on it. First impression it's a beautiful little guitar in the Tobacco Burst and the few minutes I had with it were positive, lots of bass and good balance.
I agree 100% on the case thing though, this little guy doesn't weigh much over 3 lbs but the case is heavy for it's size. If I keep this guitar it will be a gig bag for sure.
I wish Rainsong would make a nice custom bag like Emerald does, seems odd to me they don't offer one or include it like McPherson.
Have a great day ,,,,,,,,Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber