The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Default Stonebridge GA, Halcyon AJ and Halcyon OOO clips

EDIT: CLips are here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=1#post3375519

I need help/info to make some...finally.
I've been saying "soon" when people ask for clips after hearing me talk about my guitars for a long time now. Today I got the studio ready (hung-up some pads and blankets and made a welfare iso booth) and put the old Zoom H4 on a tripod, found some light verb to add, adjusted the levels and was ready to go...after supper.

While cooking I thought...yeah the old Zoom does a decent job at capturing stuff..surprizingly decent actually, even with it's own mics...but I've never put any clips online before. That's gonna be a major PAIN!?. Hmm..maybe I'll just resort to the iphone and make a raw video with it and just shoot it directly to youtube and then post links here?
I'm about to expose myself anyway...for the hack that I keep admitting to be but, I might actually hurt the brands I'm going to record and post. Stonebridge has nothing to worry about but Halcyon...they are so new that there isnt much footage or audio out there and when people hear ME play them (especially if I record with my phone), they'll probably start calling-in and cancelling their orders.

So I need some advice from you guys please.
How do you go about uploading audio that was recorded on an older Zoom H4 (not the video one just the old 4-track with the X axis condensers..audio only)? Is it a hassle? Since there'll be no video should I upload to a different site? God, that means signing-up to a new place and jumping through all those hoops too slowing the process even further :-(.
I'm assuming that using the phone will sound like butt, however it's a simple upload to youtube or even to my email first?

What should I do fellas...and girls?
Is there an easy way using the Zoom? I'd prefer that. I can do the phone though...no biggie.
I'll probably go through all the steps and then decide I'm too embarrassed to post links..or maybe Ed from Halcyon will beg me not to lol ;-)

Help??? Please?

Thanks

Last edited by blaren; 02-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Soundcloud is incredibly easy to sign up for and post mp3s to. I don't own a Zoom so I can't help you with that, but tons of people here upload mp3s from them all the time.

I'm really excited to hear those Halcyons. I want to know what all this fuss is about!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Also, you'll get help with the Zoom a lot faster in the recording forum.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks MBE.
The Halcyon fuss...it's mostly coming from my great big fat mouth.
Hopefully I can do them a bit of justice. I'm sure that they sound better in person than I'll be able to make them sound recorded and they surely sound better in different hands...but the biggest thing you won't be able to hear no matter who records or plays them is the amazing value they are. Still can't believe I own a custom built just for me guitat...let alone TWO of em.

Anyway..thanks again...off I go to join and then snoop in the recording forum for Zoom tips.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
Thanks MBE.
The Halcyon fuss...it's mostly coming from my great big fat mouth.
Hopefully I can do them a bit of justice. I'm sure that they sound better in person than I'll be able to make them sound recorded and they surely sound better in different hands...but the biggest thing you won't be able to hear no matter who records or plays them is the amazing value they are. Still can't believe I own a custom built just for me guitat...let alone TWO of em.

Anyway..thanks again...off I go to join and then snoop in the recording forum for Zoom tips.
I know what you mean. David Webber is currently building my second custom. His guitars are incredible value. You've certainly piqued my interest, knowing that another luthier in the same city is building guitars at such an unbelievable price point.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM

GREAT!! Thanks a LOT!!
I just signed-up over at soundcloud, confirmed my email...then took a quick peek over here to see if any more replies trickeled-in(?) and I find your last reply.
I think I have seen David Webber's site. Do his base models start at like $750 or something rick-dick-ulous like that? Same city, meaning Vancouver?
You KNOW which site I'm off to next now thanks to you right? I'm SUPPOSED to be recording!! lol I think all I have to know how to do is to get the files from the Zoom to the laptop (via USB iirc) and then pingpong to soundcloud and back to here.
Should only take me a few weeks :-(
This "studio" I made is not built to last.
One more detour then hopefully I can get started. Funny how Webber or Weber seems to be a name that usually means exceptional value right?

Thanks again (a lot....God..wonder how much this is gonna cost me)
EDIT: Ok phew!! That wasnt the site I was thinking about. Not quite $750 for the base model. Looks like I'm safe. The $2500-$3K range isnt that uncommon for a base model price from excellent craftsmen and luthiers. Not to say that $20K is uncommon either. The Halcyons don't come with the bling or appointments or rare and exotic woods or space-aged engineering that are available on more $ customs but the Halcyon guy also makes Tinker guitars that are the $3K and up, more "normal" customs. BTW, he likes to keep it on the down-lo but he is actually the production manager at a very world famous guitar factory so the guy is no slouch or hobbyist. He IS the real deal ;-).

Last edited by blaren; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM

David's instruments start in the low $2k range, but that includes a really long list of woods, binding, and options. Add a cutaway, wood rosette, etc, and you still have what I strongly feel is the best value in a $3k guitar, period. His guitars can also be had in the used market at unbelievable prices. This current build will be my 4th of his guitars. I visited his shop a couple of summers ago and got to play a couple dozen of his guitars - they were all magical. Sold off my other acoustics and have been a devotee since.

And yes, his shop is in North Vancouver.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM

North Van...of course it is. What IS it with that place and guitars? Back in the day when I'd be playing in town I'd hit Richard's Rare Guitars on Capilano. Met Paul Iverson there and had him make me a few electric guitars over the years. He also worked on a bunch of my guitars.
That place has a STUPID concentration of guitar monsters. Must be something in the water?

Got clips made (nothing I'm proud of but..) and loaded to soundcloud. Now I just gotta find out where to put the links in the forum.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
North Van...of course it is. What IS it with that place and guitars? Back in the day when I'd be playing in town I'd hit Richard's Rare Guitars on Capilano. Met Paul Iverson there and had him make me a few electric guitars over the years. He also worked on a bunch of my guitars.
That place has a STUPID concentration of guitar monsters. Must be something in the water?

Got clips made (nothing I'm proud of but..) and loaded to soundcloud. Now I just gotta find out where to put the links in the forum.
Either the general forum or show and tell sound like a good place. Lookin forward to hearing them!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM

I was gonna post them here because this thread got moved to the recording forum but thats probably just cause I was asking recording questions. I'll go snoop around and find the appropriate place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD