The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Default Is this DAW legally mine?

As you all know, interfaces come with "lite" versions of DAW's. I bought one interface, registered the included DAW, and played around with the interface and could never get the headphone out to work. I returned that interface and tried a second one from a different brand, that came with a different DAW.

The DAW from the first interface remains registered in my name.

Is the first DAW legally, morally, and ethically mine to freely use?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 PM

In my opinion, no. You're using something you didn't pay for. Part of the purchase price of your interface was the inclusion of the software they provided. It would be implied (and possibly part of the written agreement for the install that no one reads) that it was only to be used as part of the package purchase.
Think of it as if you could have returned the software and kept the interface instead. It's basically the same thing.
If someone else purchases your return what happens when they try to register their "new" software? The licensing site very well might deny it because it's already installed on another machine.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post
As you all know, interfaces come with "lite" versions of DAW's. I bought one interface, registered the included DAW, and played around with the interface and could never get the headphone out to work. I returned that interface and tried a second one from a different brand, that came with a different DAW.

The DAW from the first interface remains registered in my name.

Is the first DAW legally, morally, and ethically mine to freely use?
Hi Ken...

Software is licensed to use not owned. You have a license, and whether you have the right to loan it to someone or transfer it is likely in all the fine print you agreed to when you installed it (whether you read the finer points or not).

The company who created the software from would be able to tell you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Yours IMO. The lite versions are almost a give away in the first place. Whatever money they got from the device maker, if any, is not likely affect by your return of the device (my guess anyway). They are hoping you will use their daw lite, get comfortable with it, and ultimately buy the full version.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 02-26-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 AM

I wouldn't say that it belongs to you, but if it were me I wouldn't have a problem continuing to use it. After all, there are demo versions and lite versions of various powerful DAWs.

Just use it. Worst comes to the worst, you'll receive an email asking you to uninstall it. Doubtit though!

Me - http://www.youtube.com/user/MrThomas...?feature=watch

Simple Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0DElCjUIY

2001 Ebony Gibson Chet Atkins SST (sold)
2012 Taylor BT2 baby
2014 Taylor 214ce
2014 Taylor 214cen
Stagg BJM30 Banjitar
Lorenzo L449 Dreadnaught (first guitar)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM

If you actually register the software with the product you purchased, some outlets will not let you return it..
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM

I agree with Larry, however is the "Lite" version something you can even buy separately from the interface? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
If you actually register the software with the product you purchased, some outlets will not let you return it..
Musician's Friend, and they said not a word about it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
I agree with Larry, however is the "Lite" version something you can even buy separately from the interface? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
It was Studio One Artist that came with the Presonus AudioBox, on it's own it costs almost as much as the box. I re-installed and messed around with it a bit and got a few blue screens of death, so it's gone now. I know a ll of people love it, but it didn't do it for me. I had pretty much all but decided to go with Reaper over the Ableton that came with my Scarlett, but I literally stumbled on some things in the massive Ableton manual that addresses some issues I was having with it, so I'm playing around with it some more. Plus I found a nifty remote app for my ipod, touchOSC, so that I can get the laptop away from the mics. I understand that app will work with Reaper as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post
Musician's Friend, and they said not a word about it.

I am happy for you....Was not the case for me when I returned a Presonus Firestudio Project, it was the main issue....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD