The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Strange - I use Waves w. Reaper this morning (Waves v7.0, Reaper 4.2x).

I like parts of Reaper. It's a great DAW if you mix ITB exclusively. The major problem I have with it is interacting with hardware (external compressors, EQs, etc). You have to use the ReaInsert plugin, which is "stereo only". That's just stupid - what if I'm working with a mono track? Too bad - stereo only! So silly. I've also read that some guys have had irregularities/problems w/ ReaInsert. I haven't experienced that but the frustration of trying to process a mono track in stereo is enough reason not to use it for serious work (for me) IMO.
What happens when you click the little button that says: "2 in 2 out" ?

I'm assuming you use the plugin because you need latency compensation?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
What happens when you click the little button that says: "2 in 2 out" ?

I'm assuming you use the plugin because you need latency compensation?

Fran
In the 2 in 2 out dialog box, it's a stereo setup. You can check the box for the left channel only but that just makes it come out of the left monitor only.

Well, I like the delay/latency compensation so, yes, that would be one reason. The other, and more prevailing, reason is that I don't know of another way!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM

Ardour is a great DAW kind of like Reaper in that it's cheap (donation-ware) but very powerful. It's the open source pro-tools. Mac and linux only.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
In the 2 in 2 out dialog box, it's a stereo setup. You can check the box for the left channel only but that just makes it come out of the left monitor only.

Well, I like the delay/latency compensation so, yes, that would be one reason. The other, and more prevailing, reason is that I don't know of another way!
The single most powerful feature of REAPER is its routing flexibility.

In the REAinsert plug, try sending the left input to both outputs.

Pull up the Routing Matrix (Alt-R) and observe that all your hardware ins and outs are available. You can manage an out-of-the-box round trip right here without any REAinsert plug.

Fran
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The single most powerful feature of REAPER is its routing flexibility.

In the REAinsert plug, try sending the left input to both outputs.

Pull up the Routing Matrix (Alt-R) and observe that all your hardware ins and outs are available. You can manage an out-of-the-box round trip right here without any REAinsert plug.

Fran
Okay - definitely could not get ReaInsert to work on a mono track by passing a mono signal and receiving a mono signal. I can get it to work with a mono signal but again: it "doubles" it by making it stereo. I spent a few minutes trying all the various ways in the 2 in 2 out box (again) but still no luck. I don't know what I'm missing. The forums all say the same thing I'm seeing but it's possible that this newer version (4.23) has a different approach to what the 2011/2012 forum posts I'm seeing say.

The routing - sheesh. I tried to figure it out for a solid five minutes but I have to go now. I'll try again later. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM

I never use hardware devices so I'm just futzing around here. I was able to get a stereo return from a mono source by connecting my delay box between Hardware Out 3 and Hardware In 3. Then in REAinsert I chose

Hardware Sends: Left: 3 Right: None.
Hardware Returns: Left: 3 Right: 3

Is this what you're trying to accomplish, Scott?

Fran
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I never use hardware devices so I'm just futzing around here. I was able to get a stereo return from a mono source by connecting my delay box between Hardware Out 3 and Hardware In 3. Then in REAinsert I chose

Hardware Sends: Left: 3 Right: None.
Hardware Returns: Left: 3 Right: 3

Is this what you're trying to accomplish, Scott?

Fran
Thanks, Fran. No, unfortunately that serves just to double up the signal. That's the problem that I have w/ Reaper. For everything else, it works great.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Perhaps you could explain what you're trying to accomplish? I understood you to say that your problem was related to trying to monitor a signal that was only appearing on one side of your monitoring system.

Fran
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Sorry to the OP - I didn't mean for this to become about hardware inserts!!!

What I'm trying to do is simple: I have a mono track, and I want to run said track through a hardware {insert your choice here}. ReaInsert cannot handle mono - it works with stereo tracks. For example, when Ty posted his EQ thing the other day (the boxy pickup file), it was a mono recording. In order for me to use Reaper w/ my outboard EQ, I have to (a) add ReaInsert, then (b) assign both send channels to the same channel (Channel 1, Channel 1), and then (c) assign both receive channels to the same channel (Channel 1, Channel 1). In effect, you are no longer using a mono track; you are using a dual mono track! Not the same thing.

Edit - you mentioned the 2 in 2 out dialog box. There is no "1 in 1 out" option, thus you are working with an L and R signal. If you mute the R channel, that's what actually happens - you only pass or receive signal from the L.channel There is no concept of a "mono track", at least where ReaInsert is considered.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM

That's one thing which works, really, really well in the linux world. JACK lets you connect any hardware input or audio software I/O to any PCM stream or other audio software I/O. At any moment you can call up a window with all your connections.

Combine that with an RME interface (Totalmix) and you're in audio routing heaven. Totalmix is an incredibly powerful monitor mixer which mixes hardware inputs or PCM streams to hardware outs and has the ability to create separate monitor mixes on different outputs.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry to the OP - I didn't mean for this to become about hardware inserts!!!

What I'm trying to do is simple: I have a mono track, and I want to run said track through a hardware {insert your choice here}. ReaInsert cannot handle mono - it works with stereo tracks. For example, when Ty posted his EQ thing the other day (the boxy pickup file), it was a mono recording. In order for me to use Reaper w/ my outboard EQ, I have to (a) add ReaInsert, then (b) assign both send channels to the same channel (Channel 1, Channel 1), and then (c) assign both receive channels to the same channel (Channel 1, Channel 1). In effect, you are no longer using a mono track; you are using a dual mono track! Not the same thing.

Edit - you mentioned the 2 in 2 out dialog box. There is no "1 in 1 out" option, thus you are working with an L and R signal. If you mute the R channel, that's what actually happens - you only pass or receive signal from the L.channel There is no concept of a "mono track", at least where ReaInsert is considered.
Sorry, I certainly didn't want to derail the thread either, just trying to assist.

Fran
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Been using REAPER om my Mac with the M-Audio-FastTrackUltra8R. I use it mainly for punching in work for other clients (where they have sent me a ref track, and I'll return to them one or more individual tracks.) I have also done multi-track recording with this rig for a dozen or more instrumentalists. REAPER has always done the job for me - I applaud the technical philosophy of the developers, and you just simply can't beat the price!

I am active on the (REAPER Forum). I know that Routing is a big topic, but I'd suggest checking in with the folks over there - that Forum has much the same Family feel as the AGF. Give 'em a try!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

If Reaper is still highly regarded I'll just go that route though I gather it has a steep learning curve.

Todd
I have a friend who is a professional recording artist. His name is Urban Breed. He is the singer for Pyramaze and Trail of Murder and former vocalist for Tad Morose and Bloodbound. While those names probably don't ring a bell for most, in the metal community, they are quite familiar. Urban records all of his work (outside of his bands actual released recordings) with Reaper. There are very few people I would take their word for, no questions asked about something like recording software, but he is certainly one of them. He is one of the best singers out there PERIOD !! Although he is a very nice guy, he is extremely proud, picky and demanding of himself and nothing but the best will do for him.

Bryant

P.S. Google his name and listen to him sing. Chances are, he perfected those vocals while recording on his own DAW.
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Here's a really nice Reaper tutorial about working with Fx and chains: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...eaper-0313.htm

I have a Sound on Sound subscription so, for me, the link works. It's a nice roundup of tips that anyone using Fx (VSTs and hardware inserts) with Reaper would enjoy. I don't know whether the link works 100% if you do not have an SoS sub though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD