The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Humanist

Default OM perfection from Simon Fay

I feel pretty blessed to have been able to call myself "friend" to some fabulously talented builders. I have known Simon Fay for a couple of years now, and have evaluated a couple of his guitars over that time. The evaluations were more for Simon and I to discuss guitars in general, since I am stuck with my 24" scale (and Parlor body size) needs in a guitar.

Simon and I recently arranged for his Cocobolo/Carpathian cutaway guitar to take a solo-road-trip to my home.

What a massive pleasure this guitar is...to my eyes and ears it is literally perfection in the form of a guitar.

With Simon's re-working the shape of his OM sized guitar (the only size he currently builds) I find myself truly impressed and unabashedly attracted to his aesthetic sensibilities. Not only this new-ish shape, but a terrific Florentine cutaway combine with a stylish (and impeccably done) arm-rest bevel create an overall guitar that would rival the best of the best.

Tonally the evaluation was surprisingly easy. When I first played a Fay guitar, Simon's progress as a builder had his guitars with an airy Lowden-like tone...a pleasing and distinct voice, but not one that particularly appealed to me as a player.

The newest and latest guitars from Simon's shop rival Ervin Somogyi's tone, quite frankly...a "grand piano-like" sound, but with full articulation of each string...nothing of the clarity is lost in the overtones...the two work together, again, in a most-Somogyi-like way. I honestly cannot remember saying this about any builder, other than (perhaps) the few builders that have worked directly with Ervin as his apprentices for 2 years.

How Simon has developed this "voice," I cannot tell you, but let me tell you that he is on to something very, very good.

The recently re-vitalized thread of the $5-to-8K vs. $20K guitars tells this tale...there are indeed a small number of builders in the lower ranges that can approach and equal what the most expensive builders deliver...and in this case it's a tone that gives something that I have only heard from basically one man's shop. Kudos to Simon for following whatever path he has taken to achieve this greatness.

Each and every part of this guitar has been carefully considered, from a woodworking perspective...the carefully mitered cuts on the delicate purfling, the backstrap on the headstock, the carefully (and unusually) beveled work on the front edges of the headstock and bridge, it all comes together as "one" in this guitar...not to mention the cutaway, arm-rest bevel, fingerboard purfling, etc.

If this guitar were a 24" scale I would never let it go. I was tempted, even with the 25" scale...although the body is big for me (at 15" across the lower bout), as well.

The full-story of this guitar can be seen here:

http://www.fayguitars.com/guitars/forsale.html

Click on either of the photos for a full gallery of pics.

Here are a couple of teasers from the gallery on Simon's website:

I have had the pleasure of playing on spectacular instruments from Laurent Brondel, Kent Chasson, and now a several-day visit with Simon Fay's latest creation...I really do feel blessed (not a word I normally use), and I have to say that all three builders are doing exquisite work. This particular guitar, having it on-hand for a few days, I can state easily and with full honesty, is perfection...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
happiness

Beautiful looking guitar, Larry. The 25" scale would be an issue for me, too, but it looks very much like the kind of guitar I'd like to pick up and play.

Fliss
Old 08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Eric Skye

Hi Larry
I played a house concert in LA last Spring and the host had one of Simons first guitars. I think it was number nine(?). I was super impressed. Incredibly alive and responsive. When the “road trip” guitar makes it’s way up to Anton Emery I’m hoping he'll pop by so I can check it out too. And actually I’m excited for Anton to check it out because when I played that one LA, he was the first person I thought of with his light touch and beautiful tone he just naturally has in his hands...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Man that design looks sharp! Pure class.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM
*mahoganut*

Wow! A gem! Thanks for the review, too, Larry.

rr/Phil

edit: and after looking at the pictures on the website - that's some of the most lush looking cocobolo I've ever seen. Rich!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I played a house concert in LA last Spring and the host had one of Simons first guitars. I think it was number nine(?). I was super impressed. Incredibly alive and responsive.
Ok, time to quit talking about Dennis' Walnut/Cedar

That CocoCarp is really gorgeous. I'm sure it's a tone monster as well.

I've been to Simon's and seen quite a few of his pieces. Great attention to detail and every one has had a very nice voice. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy to boot!!

I hope one day I can be lucky enough to secure one of his guitars!! I'll have one here to tempt me in a couple of weeks or so (Road Trip) can't wait for that!!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Temptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Ok, time to quit talking about Dennis' Walnut/Cedar

That CocoCarp is really gorgeous. I'm sure it's a tone monster as well.

I've been to Simon's and seen quite a few of his pieces. Great attention to detail and every one has had a very nice voice. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy to boot!!

I hope one day I can be lucky enough to secure one of his guitars!! I'll have one here to tempt me in a couple of weeks or so (Road Trip) can't wait for that!!
Larry has really stirred up my anticipation for the road trip guitar! I own the Fay OM #12 (sinker redwood/ claro walnut), and lately I've fallen in love with it all over again. I had recorded a demo of it, and was just as impressed with it as my Ryan Paradiso, though each has its own distinctive voice.

In a few weeks I'll be receiving the road trip guitar, and I'm wondering, "Will I want to sell the #12 or the Paradiso so I can buy a new Fay with the new shape and the new voice?" What delights and what torments of the soul must I endure when the Road Trip Fay arrives!

If anyone want to hear the Simon Fay OM, just e-mail me, and I'll send you the clip. Who knows, it might be for sale someday.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Humanist

Thanks to all for the comments supporting Simon's work.

I should mention that this Coco/Carpathian is not spoken for, if you know what I mean. It's simply a guitar without compromise.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM

it's simply breathtaking, I cannot imagine what it sounds like !!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Beautiful guitar!...always enjoy reading your reviews Larry
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

That is a really interesting body shape. Not copying anything else, which is very cool!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That is a really interesting body shape. Not copying anything else, which is very cool!
Yeah...but also nicely proportioned. Sometimes I see original designs that seem a little unbalanced to me. This is right in the pocket, for me anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I've been following this guitar. I would love to get my hands on it. after playing my first Somogyi last month, the tone still haunts me. some strong words larry!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM

I was very fortunate to have had Simon’s current road trip guitar for about a week. It was absolutely sublime. If I could have afforded to keep it, the rest of the players on the list would have had to visit NY to play it.

I currently have a recent Franklin OM (Nick Kukich) that I cherish and feel really fortunate to have. I’ve read Larry state that he and many others consider Nick to be one of the top builders in the world. While Simon’s and Nick’s guitars have completely different voices, I would feel equally fortunate to have one the Simon’s OM’s as well.

I’ve never had the opportunity to play a Somogyi, but I am well aware of the praise and high(est) regard his guitars receive. Kudos to Simon for his work being considered in a similar vein by such an experienced player.

- Brian
Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Well, I finally got my internet working again after few days of being without it. Just a friendly reminder, TV cable wire and the weed eater do not mix

Thanks for the compliments. It is a great feeling to have one's work be well-received. And Matt, coming from you that means a lot -- you do absolutely exquisite work.

As an aside, if anyone would like to receive the Roadtrip guitar for a week, just send me an email. The course is laid out to the west coast -- but I can always add more folks on the return journey to Florida. email me at [email protected] for more information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop