The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Is a 'hybrid' any different from a 'crossover" though or are they the same?

Because all those attributes seem to describe crossovers as well.

EDIT: Well on second thought maybe not. The crossovers I've seen do have the more narrow 48 or 50mm nut width, the cutaway, and usually electronics but they all seem to be the body shape of a classical with 12 frets clear of the body.

So maybe 'hybrid' becomes a more accurate term when you add in a different body shape and/or 14 frets clear of the body, etc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Scottishrogue,
John hit on a couple of the key things that would seperate what we call a Hybrid nylon string from a standard nylon string guitar.

The narrower nut width, anywhere from 1-15/16" down to 1-3/4"
the raiused or arched fingerboard vs. the flat fingerboard,
different scale lengths, different body shapes or contour, a cutaway
a hollowbody acoustic/electric like the Kirk Sand nylon, or Paul McGill's nylon

http://www.sandguitars.com/2007-526-pics.htm
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
The NTX1200R also sports a 48mm nut, end-to-end. Seriously. That's the dimension reading on my caliper from one flat side to the other. New, E-E string spacing was less than 40mm so I had a new nut installed and cut the E-E to 40mm (1-9/16"). I think I can get it a bit wider now that I've had some play time on it and bump it out to 42mm (1-5/8").
You make an interesting point though because while most manufacturer's specs include the nut width I can't say I recall them including the string spacing, which would seem to be equally important.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Nylon "Hybrid"

Nort, thank you for posting that link...I can only wish!!!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM

I'd take a close look at the Pono's...I hope Keembo puts some photos up. the last 2 went at a very good price.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

87 Standard:
I could be mistaken here (wouldn't be the first time)
but I think that "hybrid" and "crossover" are generally both used to describe the same type of nylon string guitar.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
87 Standard:
I could be mistaken here (wouldn't be the first time)
but I think that "hybrid" and "crossover" are generally both used to describe the same type of nylon string guitar.
I think that is true...

I went ahead and bought the mahogany Pono nylon string as a back up for my Martin. The specs are very similar...solid woods for a very attractive price.
Harmony baritone uke
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM

I owned a couple of different Taylor nylon string guitars, and they don't sound or play like a true classical. I even owned the top of the line, the NS72 and it doesn't compare to my Cordoba C10. I even like the Yamaha CG171S over the Taylor. If you're looking for a hybrid, then that's the way to go, but if you want a true classical, I'd stay away from the hybrids.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM

As discussed on previous threads...if you're looking for a "classical" sound, buy a classical. Hybrids/crossovers were never meant to replace classicals. For me, my 714 Nylon gives me a broader range of styles I can play with only one guitar.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Pono is here

after a little ebay set-back, I bought a Pono nylon string hybrid to have as back-up. Scale length aside, it matches the dimentions of my Martin so, no adjustment is necessary when switching.
These are showing up on ebay once in a while and at the price they are going for, they are quite a bargan. Mine is an all solid wood spruce and mahogany cut-away 12 fret. It came in a hard shell case.
The tuners are basically throw-a-ways and it screams for a higher tension set of strings and I had to cut down the bone saddle and tweek the truss rod to get the action where I wanted it. Nevertheless, these are really nice guitars. A set of Gotohs and some new strings later, I have a very good guitar with the crossover/hybrid features I want...1 7/8 nut width...fret board radius...slot head, nicely finished, and good tone that should improve even more with some age
Harmony baritone uke

Last edited by john bange; 03-10-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 AM

Smile

The name of nylon guitar i had never heard,i have only listen about the electric guitar,but now i am eager to know about the nylon guitar.....
Top Ten classified website
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Cool Nylon stringed guitars

I've been looking for a high-quality classical guitar for awhile now, and finally found one that is simply amazing.

My first "foray" into the world of classical guitars was the purchase of my Martin 000C Nylon hybrid, which I was very happy with. Great tone, great projection without the amp, and it was nice to have that option, using an amp to give me greater volume when necessary. Then I decided to venture further, having gotten my feet wet, and bought a Gibson "Chet Atkins" CE solid body classical. But, I was looking for something more, and continued my quest, hoping to find an affordable (but yet high-quality) classical, so I went on YouTube, so see what the professionals were playing. When I saw a demo for the Hermosa AH-10, I discovered they were quite affordable, and picked one up (for a deep discount), as it needed a bridge reattachment, a new saddle and a set of strings. It was brand new, but someone had done a poor job at the factory. It was an easy job, and I was extremely happy with the sound, and it is definitely a beautiful instrument, with a cedar top and mahogany back & sides.

Well, by this time, my "GAS" had kicked into high gear, and wanted something of even higher-quality. I came across a Suzuki #32, that was priced quite reasonable, but the photos were slightly out of focus, so I asked a number of questions before making my purchase. I wanted to know if there was any evidence of bridge lift, any cracking or surface checking, what was the action set to, straight neck, etc. The seller responded by saying he knew nothing about guitars, so I went forward. But when I got the guitar, I discovered I had been "duped" by the seller. He didn't understand the difference between a "used" guitar, and a "project" guitar. It had no strings, the nut was missing, the top had a dip at the fretboard, the bridge was lifting and the neck was separating from the body and warped. I bought this "thing" on April Fool's Day, and thought I was being punked!!! But I wasn't laughing. In addition, the tuners were crap, and there was surface checking over the entire body, and it was so malnourished, the frets were protruding, and the bracing was pushing up through the soundboard. This guitar had suffered extreme abuse at an early age, and somebody had done some "dumpster diving" to find this gem. I'd have to submerge this baby in my bathtub to give it even a chance of survival!!! I notified the seller that HIS guitar was junk, and not only wanted a total refund, but I wanted him to pay the freight for the return shipment. He objected, but evidently didn't understand what constitutes fraud. When I got eBay involved, he finally agreed with my demand, giving me a total refund, but didn't want the guitar back. I agreed to keep his guitar, but I doubt if it will ever produce any music, unless I do a complete restore.

I eventually found exactly what I was looking for. A high-quality but affordable classical guitar. It's a Bruce J Rubin Grand Concert classical guitar, and it's absolutely GORGEOUS!!! What's even better is the sound/tone is FANTASTIC!!! It's a 12-fret, slope-shoulder model, with a solid spruce top, rosewood back & sides, maple neck, mahogany binding, with a unique multi-colored wood rosette, with an ebony shield on the lower bout to protect the guitar from body oil. The ebony fretboard is bound with mahogany & the bridge has been inlayed to match the center stripe on the rosewood plate of the peghead. The tuning machines are high-quality and engraved, gold & black, with gold finials extending above the ebony buttons. The action is right at spec, with plenty of saddle and the frets have been dressed to perfection. This is a well constructed guitar of the highest quality. And I'm very, very picky about the guitars I own, but acquired this one for a "song" because there is a small "bearclaw" on the top. I actually feel kind of guilty for the price I paid, and that is no joke. I took a risk buying a handmade guitar, and it paid off in the BIG way. This instrument is easily worth 5 times what I paid, and I'm told the tone will get even better with age. The strings are D'Addario, but when I switch them out, I'll be installing a set of Thomastik-Enfeld Superlona XL chromeplated flat wound, silk & nylons. I think they charge by the letter, as they aren't cheap. But, anything less would be a crime!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 04-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM

I play a Cordoba GK Studio, it really suits my playing style. I also have a Cordoba Negra. The neck is a little wider. It's a little stressful on the fingers once you get used to the GK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical