The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 AM

Hey guys, thank you for your feedback and help. They are very valuable learning experience for me.

I have a fairly good listening environment (bass traps all four corners, back wall and early reflection points all treated) and fairly good monitoring speakers, so i don't think that's the issue. I think the thing that probably needs tweaking the most would be my ears

In my obsession of trying to get the right sound, i may have lost all objectivity... I guess if nobody else hears something that i'm hearing it probably exists only in my head... Or maybe i'm not a seasoned enough recordist to be familiar with what sounds right while the recording's still raw

Maybe i'm wanting a pickup blend into the equation.. Maybe i'll do a couple of pairs and blend. But it seems most of you are telling me that the sound is good to go for now, its probably time i stop tweaking for a bit and focus on improving some other aspect of my music.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart,

Ian
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestDreaming View Post
Hey guys, thank you for your feedback and help. They are very valuable learning experience for me.

I have a fairly good listening environment (bass traps all four corners, back wall and early reflection points all treated) and fairly good monitoring speakers, so i don't think that's the issue. I think the thing that probably needs tweaking the most would be my ears

In my obsession of trying to get the right sound, i may have lost all objectivity... I guess if nobody else hears something that i'm hearing it probably exists only in my head... Or maybe i'm not a seasoned enough recordist to be familiar with what sounds right while the recording's still raw

Maybe i'm wanting a pickup blend into the equation.. Maybe i'll do a couple of pairs and blend. But it seems most of you are telling me that the sound is good to go for now, its probably time i stop tweaking for a bit and focus on improving some other aspect of my music.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart,

Ian
Ian,
I think it's time to divest yourself of the engineer part of your psyche, and concentrate on the most important aspect of any recording: The performance.

There is a tendency to seek comparative aural satisfaction based on past listening experience, ie: other people's recordings compared to yours.

Stop doing it.

Why not send some tracks out for mixing and mastering and tell the person "Surprise me!"

He didn't ask, but that is what they basically did to Michael Hedges and he recoiled in horror, ran away, got over it, and ultimately embraced it.

It's good to expand ones head, especially when it's digital, and totally reversible.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD