The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Default Just bought a H4n Handy Recorder; New to it

Hello all, I used to record all the time on a cassette four-track through a delay. This was back in the 80's and 90's (ah, youth) and I have stopped for a while due to personal reasons, only playing for myself. Recently, I am experiencing a rush of creativeness in the form of song-writing and have found all of my recording equipment out of date. Yesterday, I purchased one of those Handy Recorders http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/produ...recorders/h4n/

Before I take this device out and start playing with it, I was wondering if anyone might have experience with these before I try and load the software into this computer. Pretend I just walked out of a time capsule and realize that everything is not as easy as it once was! I mean, last year I tried to get one of those ION turntables hooked up and, somehow it erased my default CD player! It took me months to figure out how to restore it. I have since packed up the turntable and am afraid to try again. I don't want the same thing happening to this recorder.

I want to get my music out there, especially to family and friends. Thank you in advance for any helpful hints. I work at the job which pays the bills at night, so I may be slow to respond.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

First thing, read the manual that comes with it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 PM

Default Reading it.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Sorry Grumpy Old Hippie, I don't have one but will share my thoughts. I have its predecessor the PSO4 - great little unit and a lot can be done with it, but it is just a pain to set up and use. This is because everything has to be done through menus and it all gets a bit confusing. I am planning on upgrading and have been thinking of the Zoom R8 - 8 tracks, and more than everything I want. Most of all though it seems to be about as easy to use as tape 4 track (for just basic multi tracking). Apparently the Tascam models are a lot like tape 4 tracks too, so if you are used to a 4 track from aeons ago one of these options may be better than something that requires going through different menus to set parameters etc. Yes, read the manual first. If you are happy with the unit however, seems like they do a very good job for the price, and sure you will have a lot of fun with it. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Recently purchased one and it is a great little device. I did not load the software, as I have a Mac and use garageband and have simply downloaded into that. It is really very straightforward on how to work through all the settings on the unit, and things actually work in a logical manner. I did purchase this tutorial dvd and I would highly recommend. Very well done and makes everything easier once you get into it.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Digit...s=zoom+h4n+dvd
Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I also do not use any Zoom Software, just Audacity (free download). Any music editing software that can import a WAV file will do.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I also do not use any Zoom Software, just Audacity (free download). Any music editing software that can import a WAV file will do.
You can set it to record directly in mp3 format as well for quick and easy sharing. Really very versatile.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM

While I haven't seen it, the instruction video mentioned above gets rave reviews. Also some very good UTube instruction videos.
I've had mine for a number of years and didn't load the software, but use Audacity as others have. I keep one chip in there and use the computer to erase files that I don't need, it's relatively time consuming to erase on the H4n itself. In that way I have a good amount of space on the chip at any one time for recording.
The unit is very versatile, but my use has been confined to single guitar acoustic recording. I've grown to the point of using two external mics and an external preamp in my little set-up and I'm very pleased. My guess is you'll like it a lot. The instruction videos should make up for what the manual lacks.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM

There's a Zoom forum where the folks love to help out: http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=15

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM

As a complete newbie to digital recording you might be interested in a page I put together dedicated to just that sort of thing. I have an H1, and it's very easy to use but my 60 year old eyes and fingers don't like small menus and tiny buttons. I own a Zoom R24 and I'd highly recommend the Zoom R8 as the ultimate solution for your situation. Oh yes, I own a Tascam 4 track cassette, too!

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

It's really a great little recorder and you can make wonderful tracks with it. Use the manual to see what the different recording modes do, then as you get more into it you can delve into the specifics.

Todd
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM

Hi all, Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I've been busy working on a three song set of all original material, one which I have just finished writing, that I'm playing out Wednesday night. I haven't had the time to take the recorder out of the box as of yet, but I do like the idea of having tutorials available on youtube! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for pointing me in that direction! I have to work the job that pays the bills for the rest of the night and, when I'm home, it's practice and rehearsal!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldHippie View Post
Hi all, Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I've been busy working on a three song set of all original material, one which I have just finished writing, that I'm playing out Wednesday night. I haven't had the time to take the recorder out of the box as of yet, but I do like the idea of having tutorials available on youtube! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for pointing me in that direction! I have to work the job that pays the bills for the rest of the night and, when I'm home, it's practice and rehearsal!
I do own one and after looking at the instruction manual for 15 minutes, I decided to google 'Zoom H4N Tutorial', and it was the best thing this dyslexic ADD person ever did!

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Digit.../dp/B0035LCVXU

I respond much better to visual and audio instruction, and this is an amazing DVD. The reviews tell the tale very clearly, and it is worth every penny.

HE
Old 02-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

You can use the H4N as a stand alone recording device without downloading the software. That's what I've done. Cubase has a pretty steep learning curve for me - someday.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD