The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Default '33 L-7; buy or run

Hi all, I have a chance at a 1933 L7, the 1st year, fair condition but the issues are: loose/hi 14th fret, slight dip at 10-11 fret in neck, guard is vaporized of course, no case, some top scratches from some hard chords(like a Charlie Christian gets from lo output PUs), end pin broken off flush in a period but different tailpiece, stiff oem grover tuners, general use marks for '33 model.

It has nice sound, tight all around, good binding, finish is decent save for pick marks, crack free(wish I had a photo for you) and plays well up to about 13th fret(orig I think) Frets need dressing/leveling, bridge seems adjusted down all the way and base may have been shaved(neck angle?).

Bottom line is I need to have a luthier have a look-neck reset is the big fear. It would be a nice addition to my es100 & 150 on the wall.

Thoughts on value as is? I see one refin one at 3500ish and another mint original for 5400. Thanks for any consternation.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM

This is as much neutral advice as I can give you:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&keyword=gibson+l7

Based on my preferences, I personally wouldn't buy this guitar but my opinion shouldn't be of any influence on your decision.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Simply deduct the cost for the repairs from the value of one not needing repairs. If the seller isn't interested in that bid, walk away.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post
Hi all, I have a chance at a 1933 L7, the 1st year, fair condition but the issues are: loose/hi 14th fret, slight dip at 10-11 fret in neck, guard is vaporized of course, no case, some top scratches from some hard chords(like a Charlie Christian gets from lo output PUs), end pin broken off flush in a period but different tailpiece, stiff oem grover tuners, general use marks for '33 model.

It has nice sound, tight all around, good binding, finish is decent save for pick marks, crack free(wish I had a photo for you) and plays well up to about 13th fret(orig I think) Frets need dressing/leveling, bridge seems adjusted down all the way and base may have been shaved(neck angle?).

Bottom line is I need to have a luthier have a look-neck reset is the big fear. It would be a nice addition to my es100 & 150 on the wall.

Thoughts on value as is? I see one refin one at 3500ish and another mint original for 5400. Thanks for any consternation.
Welcome to the forum... and I am thinking that the "consternation" here may be yours! Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

In all seriousness, if you have a trusted Luthier, that would be my first step to take towards purchasing that guitar. If you're buying it strictly as a player, then some "issues" may not matter as much (still depending on the price). If you have any interest in it as a collector, then I would say to always buy the best all-original (or as close to it as you can get) model in the best condition that you can find. Those are the kind that always did the best for me.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the speedy replies! I should say the seller is like a new instant friend, owned a music shop for years and is very amenable & open to offers though he's not mentioned a figure yet. he did give me a list of his inventory and his cost on them, looks like he has 500. into this one back '06.

And there's no old 16" L7 on the Gbase list-he 17" model is whole 'nother animal which I prefer but it's cool to have a Loar descendant.

I think the price should be 1/2 of retail' less the repairs to her wise I'd buy one done or in better shape.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Default Firstly

Welcome to this great nut house ( yes most of us are crazy ) and secondly I am really unsure as to why you want to buy this guitar. A guitar in fair condition is just that and sounds as if you are going to have to have a whole lot of work done to it which will definetely change the sound and the playability one way or could be the other.
It sounds as if the neck itself has some issues and that does not include the neck reset. I would pass on this and look around for something a little nicer and with out so much work.ship
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Bottom line: sounds basically fine, but neck issues can be fundamentally, structurally dodgy - there's a big difference between "it needs a quick reset" vs "it needs to be steamed and re-bent first; then we'll see."

Either you see and understand what this guitar's neck issues are and are cool with them, or you are not. Getting a luthier to look under the hood and tell you their take is key - but you have to decide.

If the guitar checks out in your eyes from a neck standpoint and otherwise you love it, then a price between the two price points you named could be a great purchase...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Yeah, like a I need another project at this point-have a 5000' antiques shop full of them. I'll come to terms with the seller contingent upon a luthier's estimate. If he says $600ish, I 'l have to just dive in-it plays well up to about the 10th and is great in the farmer's corner.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, like a I need another project at this point-have a 5000' antiques shop full of them. I'll come to terms with the seller contingent upon a luthier's estimate. If he says $600ish, I 'l have to just dive in-it plays well up to about the 10th and is great in the farmer's corner.
Did you recently close down a bunch of locations on NY Ave in Huntington Station?

Regards,
Howard
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM

C'est moi, how're things Howard? We moved to sunny FL!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
C'est moi, how're things Howard? We moved to sunny FL!
I thought the name sounded familiar! I'm doing fine, aside from melting in the humidity and heat..........Perfect weather for salsa dancing.......

Where in Florida?

I was just at John Monteleone's shop yesterday morning.

Good luck getting that L-7.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Central East Coast, nice area still. Say hi to John when you see him and that Ray's 175 is doing well in FL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops