The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Poor quality refinish job on vintage archtop - what can be done?

Hi AGFers, I came across a 1940's Gibson L7, but the guitar was refinish:ed by someone who didn't know when to say when. The top of the guitar was finished with thick varnish, lacquer or a clear coat of some sort, enough that you can see brush strokes in the glossy shine. The fretboard is also covered with the same clear coat.

Otherwise, this old archtop is in very good condition, and I am wondering what can be done to remove the clear coat from the fretboard, and then if something can be done to remove some of the glossy finish on the top. I do not know exactly what the finish is, and the person selling the guitar does not know the detailed history of the refinish job.

I welcome your opinions. I am tempted to buy this guitar or at least make an offer.

Thanks,

Rob K.

Last edited by robkreole; 06-25-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkreole View Post
Hi AGFers, I came across a 1940's Gibson L7, but the guitar was refinish:ed by someone who didn't know when to say when. The top of the guitar was finished with thick varnish, lacquer or a clear coat of some sort, enough that you can see brush strokes in the glossy shine. The fretboard is also covered with the same clear coat.

Otherwise, this old archtop is in very good condition, and I am wondering what can be done to remove the clear coat from the fretboard, and then if something can be done to remove some of the glossy finish on the top. I do not know exactly what the finish is, and the person selling the guitar does not know the detailed history of the refinish job.

I welcome your opinions. I am tempted to buy this guitar or at least make an offer.

Thanks,

Rob K.
Right. For anyone to talk with conviction about what could and could not be done to this guitar, they would have to see detailed photos. Saying that, if it is only a question of an over zealous coating of 'lacquer' ie there is no over-sanding of parts or areas of the guitars prior to the refin, then for sure, that finish can be relatively easily removed by someone who knows what they are doing. But it can be long, painstaking work to remove that stuff from all the nooks and crannies while trying to maintain the integrity and originality of the wood underneath.

You need to know all about the market price of this model of guitar, and factor in the work that would need to be done, and then of course, what would it be worth as a (decently) refinished guitar? If the figures dont add up, don't do it unless this guitar is one that you personally have been longing for. I have made that mistake; basically you buy yourself a load of work because you stupidly think that you can put the guitar 'right' - no other reason. Nah, if that's the case, leave it to someone else.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Rob: good advice from Steve. The problem with a refinish, especially a badly done one by an amateur, is that, unless it's just an overspray over an existing finish, the top was likely sanded to remove the old finish. That will thin it and affect the tone. It will also reduce it's value by at least 50%, especially if, as you say, it was badly done.

It's possible for someone who really knows what they're doing to remove the current finish and do a proper job, but, again, that would likely involve some sanding (depending how and with what material the current refinish was done), again affecting the tone.

A shame, since an L-7 was a nice guitar. Buy it if your in love with the tone, can live with the refinish, and can get it real cheap. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Dennis
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Thx Dennis & Steve for the opinions. This L7 is a good deal but not THAT good of a deal. The fact that someone applied varnish/lacquer to the fretboard makes me think that the refinish job was done by an amatuer. I really want a vintage archtop at some point and this L7, from a distance, really held some appeal. The last thing I need is another project guitar.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I am going to pass on this Gibson archtop and keep looking for that 'right' guitar.

Rob K.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM

I agree with what's been written. Also, there are plenty of L7's out there for sale. I just saw a nice late 1940's on Fleebay for $2200.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM

An amateur refinish job usually means a total pro refin is in order.
The finish can be scraped off the fingerboard.
Depending on the type of finish, chemical stripper could possibly be used on the rest of it. Stripper must be kept off the plastic bindings because it will melt them.
Refinishing a vintage guitar correctly is tedious, nasty work. It is also costly, with typical prices approaching $1000.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

My Gibson F-25 had a real bad refinish when I got it in 1982. The nitro possibly sunburst had been removed and the top refinished in some kind of inadequate acrylic finish that has peeled off where it got sweat upon. I thought of having it redone but after playing it for a few months I decided that I didn't want to mess with the incredible sound this thing makes. To this day it still has that funky top. And fabulous sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
archtop, gibson, refinish, repair