The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 PM

I think sharing the style of music you play, Bluegrass, ragtime, DADGAD and open tunings, folk, picks or thumb picks or fingers, ect. Music that you think you sound like that can be listened to on a CD. I think this would help a builder also.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Back when I was taking viola lessons I had my teacher help me audition several instruments. He played the same Bruch Romanze on each one, at my house where we could comfortably settle in and listen under ideal conditions.

While he was playing one of the violas there was just a moment where I was completely overcome by a sense memory of visiting my Great Aunt's house which was dimly lighted, furnished decades out of date and had a characteristic dusty/woody smell.

The scent memory in particular was incredibly vivid. I've never had a sound provoke such a strong pseudo-experience of an old memory like that, before or since. This was years after my Great Aunt's demise and the subsequent demolition of the house to make room for another.

So what would you call that sound?

And yes, that was the viola I purchased!
Excellent post, for a moment I was transported by your description. I guess that's what that Viola did for you. Reminds me of "A Tale of Two Cities" when he smelled the Madelienes......
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 AM

I've had musical performances do something like that maybe a handful of times in my life, at most. I wish I had the talent and dedication to learn to play fiddle or viola really well. Something about the sound instruments played with a bow (especially cello, for that matter) seems to reach more directly inside than plucked strings like guitar, no matter how beautifully played.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop