The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Default Acoustic strings for humbucker archtop??

I have recently grabbed a new Peerless Monarch archtop. Love it. I would like to know if anyone uses acoustic guitar strings on their humbucker equipped archtop. If so, which ones and why do you like them? Thanks
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM

I've found that string-to-string balance of acoustic strings is very poor when using a magnetic pickups as they don't have ferromagnetic windings on the wound strings. I have gone the other way, and use electric strings on my resos with magnetic pickups. I have also converted strat SC's for use with acoustic strings, but that's another story, because you couldn't easily do it with that kind of humbucker.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Try Monels.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Right now I have D'Addario Pure Steel strings on it, 13-52 and like it a lot. The tone is very acoustic as well as the more typical archtop jazz tone if I want it with different eq. The neck on this Peerless is set up by a very high end luthier who handles some famous jazz players guitars. Wow, is it easy to play and sounds awesome. So I will try Monels though and use only electric strings to make use of the floating humbucker. the Pure Steels react really well to this pickup.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Unless I'm mistaken, D'Addario doesn't have a string called Pure Steel. Do you mean Pure Nickel? If that's what you mean then I like the Pure Nickel strings on my archtop/floating pickup too.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Right now I have D'Addario Pure Steel strings on it, 13-52 and like it a lot. The tone is very acoustic as well as the more typical archtop jazz tone if I want it with different eq. The neck on this Peerless is set up by a very high end luthier who handles some famous jazz players guitars. Wow, is it easy to play and sounds awesome. So I will try Monels though and use only electric strings to make use of the floating humbucker. the Pure Steels react really well to this pickup.
The Monels are ferromagnetic as well. Pure nickel is another nice choice for an archtop. The John Pearse ones are really good, and cheap. GHS also makes a set called "White Bronze," which again is ferromagnetic, but I haven't tried them.

Congrats on a cool guitar. The Peerless stuff in general is very high quality and represents a LOT of bang for the buck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-31-2017, 12:08 PM

Correction.....the strings I have on now which I love are D'Addario Pro Steels, not Pure Steels.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-31-2017, 12:13 PM

I will try some Pure Nickel strings. I like 13's on the high strings to provide more power or push back when I flat pick. I also use some half rounds that I like by D'Addario. In my travels in the pro world of acoustic guitars, there are many more players using D'Addario strings than any other. No affiliation but just find these things interesting. One guy recently was giving away an entire box of strings, well over 50 sets, from another well known manufacturer. He had them just laying out for anyone to take some. I did. For my acoustics. He had gone to D'Addario strings and had no use for the others.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops