The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
You don't get much more compact than the new Boss GT-1, and it's under (barely ) $200 bucks. Where they skimped is in the ridiculous number of presets, not the quality of the sound.

I'm going to look at that next if the Zoom doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 PM

I've just scanned this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned Fractal Audio Axe-FX. It sounds like you could use the AX-8, digital floor modeler. You owe it to yourself to look them up, there is simply no better digital going on today. The Fender and Dumble sounds are spectacular, IMHO.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Interesting. So, you play both electric and acoustic through the same setup? I've never seen the multi-stomp. Is it easy to use? Do you use presets for each song? What does the foot switch enable/disable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its easy to use, there are 50 memory locations to program. I have presets for acoustic and for electric. The footswitch can be set up to enable or disable any given effect. Its quality is stellar.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:55 AM

Default Zoom G3x

Quote:
Ok, my twin brother wants my Line 6 Firehawk FX. Like a good bro, I will give it to him. I purchased a Zoom G3X used for $100, based on very good reviews. Very small and economical. I'll have a month until I see him, so I can A/B them for fun.

Now I need to figure out what to plug it into. That's for another thread.

I used a G3 series pedal for a couple of years. Ran everything through it, electric, acoustic, bass, Sticks. Getting a used one will save your ears and speakers as Zoom does an awful job of setting up presets. The Bomber and Speaker killer almost busted windows in my house, from the gain set too high by the factory. For the amp modelers you need to tweak them on your own. One of the hidden gems on that pedal was the tape echo. If yours doesn't have a control pedal, hook up one and take control of some of the parameters in that effect. I think it was the feedback or some other noise parameter that controlling it by the foot controller made some very cool effects, especially when combined with a flanger or other phase/lfo effects.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 AM

In my last thread about multi use amps, there was a suggestion that I look at the Quilter Labs (the "Q" in QSC) MicroPro Mach II 8 amp. Wow, that's a mouthful. I've been listening to the demos of this amp and I'm quite shocked! They are not using any modeling at all. Just analog (solid state) circuits and some nifty engineering. This little amp uses a 400 class D amp (limited at 100 watts per channel) and an 8" Celestion speaker. It has "voicing" for Fender tweed, Vox, Marshall, Mesa, etc. This is a small package, will also take a mic and an acoustic guitar. And, best of all, I really don't need any pedals with it. I am going down to the only dealer in Chicago to demo this amp. It costs a small fortune, but would work with my current guitar, and a nice Strat, should I choose to upgrade in the future.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, my twin brother wants my Line 6 Firehawk FX. Like a good bro, I will give it to him. I purchased a Zoom G3X used for $100, based on very good reviews. Very small and economical. I'll have a month until I see him, so I can A/B them for fun.

Now I need to figure out what to plug it into. That's for another thread.

Good choice! Been gigging with a G3 thru pa for a couple of years, it's a good piece of gear.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:57 PM

I purchased the Quilter Labs Mach II 8 guitar amp. I'll pick it up on Monday. Not quite sure if I made the right decision, but I think it will be a simpler solution than modeling everything. I'll be able to go straight in, or use a few pedals, as needed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars