The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
1. Facts override your opinion pretty clearly.
The fact that you deliberately didn't measure the depth of the case pocket compartment (which is what clearly makes it smaller than regular TKL case pocket compartments and thus decreases the amount of items that can fit in it) and only its diameter when comparing it to the other cases shows that you are not interested in facts, but rather shaping the facts to fit your opinion. It's not worth my time debating someone who already has their mind made up and is unable to accept that some people have different preferences for cases.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Hiscox cases are top notch. Best protection offered by any case I've owned. Not the lightest, or slimmest. But, lighter than a hard shell wooden case and offers better protection. Not sure the Artist model is as good a value as the Pro II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Anyone notice how many Brits have responded to this thread ?

Hiscox cases are amongst the very few top quality guitar related items that we can actually buy lots cheaper here than in the States....

Is there no "smug" emoji ?
True. I bought mine from an Englishman in Maryland !

Be & Remember ☮
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Does Hiscox make a case that's as strong and flightworthy as a Calton? If so, which model?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Does Hiscox make a case that's as strong and flightworthy as a Calton? If so, which model?
Yes, they are flight worthy no doubt, but I have no experience with Calton.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayoud View Post
Yes, they are flight worthy no doubt, but I have no experience with Calton.
My Calton has a stiff metal bar in the shell running the length of the guitar. I expect a car could back into it at some speed and not damage the guitar.

I'd consider a Hiscox Artist given its weight, but at $600 if it's not comparably protective to a Calton I'd just spend an extra $350 and get a Calton, because they're basically indestructible. And they come in cool colors.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
The fact that you deliberately didn't measure the depth of the case pocket compartment (which is what clearly makes it smaller than regular TKL case pocket compartments and thus decreases the amount of items that can fit in it) and only its diameter when comparing it to the other cases shows that you are not interested in facts, but rather shaping the facts to fit your opinion. It's not worth my time debating someone who already has their mind made up and is unable to accept that some people have different preferences for cases.
How does one measure the diameter of a rectangle?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Dave specifically said, and I quote:

"3. Relative comment. The Hiscox has the least depth of the three cases: 2.5" vs 3.5" for the Martin and only 2.75 for the Calton. Volume wise, however: Hiscox has significantly more cubic inches than the Martin at 93.75 CI. The Martin has 77 CI. The Calton wins with 102.25 CI."

How is that "not measur(ing) the depth of the case pocket"? Methinks thou dost protest too much...

And, I think the word you were looking for is "perimeter" not "diameter."

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

The size of the case-pocket is pretty low down my list of priorities when choosing a case. My top two are (1) Will it save my guitar in the event of a calamity, and (2) Will I get a dislocated shoulder or curvature of the spine from lugging it around? In the case of a Hiscox (see what I did there?) the answers are (1) yes and (2) no - precisely what I want to hear. If my bits & bobs won't fit in the case-pocket, they'll definitely fit in my shoulder-bag.

As a matter of interest, I get a pick-tin, several capos (at least three), a Polytune-clip tuner, a Snark tuner (spare!), and a couple of sets of strings in the case-pocket of my Hiscoxes. My strap goes under the headstock. Job done.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 AM

I read somewhere, no idea where now, but is was recommended NOT to travel with things in the compartment as a crash can send those bits and bobs through the case and guitar. Stuff the inside with some t-shirts.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I read somewhere, no idea where now, but is was recommended NOT to travel with things in the compartment as a crash can send those bits and bobs through the case and guitar. Stuff the inside with some t-shirts.

BluesKing777.
For flying, yes. But a bit OTT for driving around town to the session?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys, but some folks make postings which are SO nonsensical it is obvious that they don't or can't read the comment to which they're posting.

"Diameter" indeed... Next time when I give the three dimensions in inches of a rectangular box, I'll make sure and include the diameter, instead of putting in pertinent comparative information like the volume in cubic inches.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
1. The fact that you deliberately didn't measure the depth of the case pocket compartment (..
2. which is what clearly makes it smaller than regular TKL case pocket compartments and thus decreases the amount of items that can fit in it)
3. and only its diameter when comparing it to the other cases
4. shows that you are not interested in facts, but rather shaping the facts to fit your opinion.
5. It's not worth my time debating someone who already has their mind made up and is unable to accept that some people have different preferences for cases.
1. Fact - I did.

2. "less height" does not equal "smaller". In the context of the discussion, the volume of the compartment is at issue and is what I addressed.

3. It is not worth my time to educate you as to the meaning of words, but in a written medium like this forum, using the inappropriate word "diameter" is confusing. You probably meant (as previously pointed out) perimeter, or perhaps (as I used in my original statement) volume. Certainly diameter is wrong.

4. I actually spent some amount of time making photographs and measurements specifically to share facts with those interested in the matter of the size of case pockets.

5. I never said anywhere that I preferred a Hiscox, Calton or Martin case and in fact, each one has its own strong points and weak points.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Thanks guys, but some folks make postings which are SO nonsensical it is obvious that they don't or can't read the comment to which they're posting.

"Diameter" indeed... Next time when I give the three dimensions in inches of a rectangular box, I'll make sure and include the diameter, instead of putting in pertinent comparative information like the volume in cubic inches.

Well it was pretty obvious I was referring to the height of case compartment rather than the width (whether you measured it horizontally or diagonally) but hey again don't let that get in the way of you laughing at someone who didn't major in math in order to obscure that facts and address the issue.

Guess what? I happen to own a Hiscox Artist case as well as a standard Martin TKL case, and to prove my point, here are some measurements when they're not deliberately skewed.

Exhibit A - the Hiscox. When the lid is shut on the compartment, the amount you can put in here goes up to where it says Strings Inches mm

The lid falls on the slope on the side where the wording says "Cordes pour guitare acoustique"

Exhibit B - the TKL. The lid falls on top of the edge, so you can actually fit items into the compartment up to the line where it says "great tone, long life" (under the big E for Elixir)

Last edited by Authentic; 03-19-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM

LOL!

OK, I'll compliment your choice of cases (and Blue Chip picks).

And I use a business card, you use a string pack, but our photos show the same thing. I just happened to include the complete measurements:
"Hiscox has significantly more cubic inches than the Martin at 93.75 CI. The Martin has 77 CI."

So, if a person can put 93.75 cubic inches of "stuff" in one case and 77 cubic inches of "stuff" in another case - which case has the smaller pocket?

But I'll cut a newcomer some slack and invite you, as a newcomer, to introduce yourself to the forum. I'm sure you have some nice guitars for those nice cases which you could tell us about, along with your experiences and adventures over the years of playing them.

P.S. I hate math, but it is a necessary evil in our world.

Last edited by kydave; 03-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, furch, furch stonebridge guitar, hiscox, stonebridge