The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I guess comfort wasn't the best choice of words. I would just suck worse if my fingers touch all the other strings all the time basically. That's what I should have said.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood1169 View Post
Thanks for all the ideas! I'm loving the idea of the white with black pick guard Classic vibe tele. I see one issue though. The nut seems really narrow at 1.625. I can manage a 1 11/16 but much prefer 1 3/4 on my acoustics. This being even tighter than the 1 11/16, I'm not sure it would be all that comfy to me. Im not sure what to think at this point. I saw A few aftermarket necks I could have made with a slightly wider nut. Not cheap, but possible. Of course as I started looking at the necks, I began to contemplate just building the whole thing. I've built a few acoustics but it's hard to find time these days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I own the sunburst version of the Classic Vibe tele that you're considering. My acoustics are mostly 1 11/16 nut widths and I have no difficulty with my CVC tele neck or nut width. In fact it is the best of any of my electrics with regard to playability for me personally.

There also has been a considerable amount of variation reported with the Classic Vibe series necks by folks on the Telecaster Guitar forum. Most folks there who don't like the Classic Vibe necks think they're too thin. Not many complaints about nut width. Also, some people have found two of the same model guitar with significantly different neck feels. FWIW I also own a Classic Vibe 50's strat and the nut width on that guitar is slightly larger than on my tele. Might be best if you can get your hands on that tele and see if it suits your needs.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 PM

The cheapest guitar I've had my hands on was a Squire Tele, the really cheap butterscotch blonde one. Very pretty, played well and had one of the nicest necks I've ever felt on any electric.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 AM

Tele. Either Squire or Mexi. I also liked the Epiphone Flying V better than any of the Gibsons I tried. Lighter (very light in fact) and nice neck too. All mahogany
Old 05-15-2015, 04:15 AM

I don't know if they are cheap anymore, but I played a Danelectro U2 for several decades, all over the world. I really wish I would've hung on to it. I sold it around 10 years ago. I bought it in the early 1970s (used) for $20.00 at a pawnshop. It always played great, sounded cool, and always stayed in tune. The new ones that I have seen are not the same. I hope someone is still playing it.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM

For the best cheap guitar, in my opinion, go to this page and go to about page 4 and start looking at "Agile ALxxxx" LP style guitars. These are very good guitars, especially the ones in the range of the AL3xxx level.

rondomusic.com

The prices are low but the guitars are equal to some of the best LP's, especially the AL3100's and AL3000's, plus others within the 3000 series.

My first one was more than what I expected and now I have three Agile's including my new AL2500 twelve string LP. Awesome values and beautiful guitars for small money. My new 12 string electric cost only 329 and is beautiful, with the lowest action of any of my guitars. It has individual adjustable saddles for each of the twelve strings. It is a class act and looks beautiful in three tone sunburst. It sounds wonderful. The six strings are equally nice and are decked out with some more detailed trim and binding.

Definitely at least check out the web page. This is not hype on the descriptions. These are high quality guitars. This guy's customer service is probably the best in the business with a no questions asked return policy. There is zero shakiness going on with this outfit.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 PM

You might want to check out guitarfetish.com too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 AM

Today, on local CL...G&L asat classic tele was up for $200...tempted cause saw it about 5 minutes after it posted.

other ones that I've gotten rid of
ibanez as73...200
yamaha sc500...250
telepartscaster...120
epi lp standard...60...should have kept it

My 2 remaining electrics were cheap, used and keepers
carvin DC135 hss neckthrough hardtail, ebony board, ss frets, hard case..350
mia peavey predator...89
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM

I second the Rondo suggestion. I bought an AL 3100 and it is a great guitar. But used electrics are a dime a dozen. I just bought a G&L asat special in perfect condition for about half of what they cost new and it is very easy to play. USA electronics. I would take the Asat overt the agile because of the weight. LPs are heavy. In any case, happy hunting.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Fender 72 Thinline Tele RI.
I have both a USA Strat and Tele but this the one that I go to.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 AM

+3 Rondo
CL is good too but sometimes these guitars are setup REALLY bad.
And hence the person sounded bad and gave up trying to learn.

Take a ruler at least.

I got a really nice strat LNIB because the bridge was 7mm over the deck and it sounded crazy outta tune, refused to tune.
Sounds good now !
Old 06-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Option A = Mexican made Telecaster or Stratocaster. Option B = Squire who make quality, affordable instruments also. (Their Telecaster or Stratocaster).

If you are a Gibson Les Paul type of guy .... try something in the Epiphone range.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:59 AM

I have had bad experiences with Squiers. I would hold out for the MIM Fenders.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I have had bad experiences with Squiers. I would hold out for the MIM Fenders.
I also have had bad luck with Squiers.

MIM Fenders rule pretty heavily. Epiphones would come in next on my list.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
For the best cheap guitar, in my opinion, go to this page and go to about page 4 and start looking at "Agile ALxxxx" LP style guitars. These are very good guitars, especially the ones in the range of the AL3xxx level.

rondomusic.com

The prices are low but the guitars are equal to some of the best LP's, especially the AL3100's and AL3000's, plus others within the 3000 series.

My first one was more than what I expected and now I have three Agile's including my new AL2500 twelve string LP. Awesome values and beautiful guitars for small money. My new 12 string electric cost only 329 and is beautiful, with the lowest action of any of my guitars. It has individual adjustable saddles for each of the twelve strings. It is a class act and looks beautiful in three tone sunburst. It sounds wonderful. The six strings are equally nice and are decked out with some more detailed trim and binding.

Definitely at least check out the web page. This is not hype on the descriptions. These are high quality guitars. This guy's customer service is probably the best in the business with a no questions asked return policy. There is zero shakiness going on with this outfit.
This isn't a rhetorical question. Why should I consider Rondo over fender or Epi?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
fender