The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Default Looking for a Grand Auditorium hard case for a Taylor 814

Hey all,

I'm looking for a hard case that would fit a Taylor Grand Auditorium guitar (any x14 - for instance, the guitar for the case in question is an 814). It's not my guitar or case - I'm replacing it for someone else - so I need to get a snug fit without stuffing towels in a dreadnought case

I'm unable to find anything on Musician's Friend, ZZounds, etc. So far, my only option is special ordering a guitar case through Guitar Center, direct from Taylor for $200. Does anyone know of alternative hard case vendors? Quality cases that would fit the Grand Auditorium body shape?

An alternative to replacing the case would be fixing the original case. One of the hinge pins fell out, leading the other hinge to bend under the weight of the case top. There are also a few messed up buckles, but otherwise the case is in good condition. Does anyone know of places where I could get a hold of new hinges or buckles that are similar to those on standard Taylor cases?

I think that the extra-curvy hourglass Grand Auditorium (GA) shape sets the case up for wear on the hinges. Though my dreadnought case has 3 hinges, the GA's so curvy that there is no appropriate place on the case for a middle hinge, so there are only 2 hinges, and they take a lot of stress.

I wonder if they've gotten this feedback from other customers - I borrowed the GA when my Taylor 910 was out of commission. I lug my 910 around to fests and gigs all over the east coast. I only had the 814 for a few months and took better care of it than my own guitar, but the case fell apart so fast!

Oh well... thanks for your help and insight!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I would call Taylor Customer Service to see if they have any thoughts about either sending out hinges/buckles. They are great to deal with. If they are willing to send parts out then you can take it to a luggage/shoe repair place and they can fix it up. If you don't get parts from Taylor the luggage repair place could probably help you anyway. Like I said Taylor is pretty good to work with, if you explain the situation they might even send you a new case, they did that for me once.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
auditorium, case, grand, hard, taylor