The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Humidifiers: In the guitar VS in case.

I know there are more threads about humidifying your guitar than there are metalheads on the ultimate guitar forum.

I've read lots of them.

"In the case just isn't enough" to

"I would never put anything wet in the hole in my guitar, Ever"

As far as the Oasis in the guitar humidifier, well I read the original horror story on a thread and I think the same guy created this blog which really lays it out.

http://notrightinthehead.net/2012/06...difier-review/

I believe he says an expert luthier told him to always humidify the case...not the guitar.

I've read all about the sponge in a bag...the soap dish with holes. I'm not crazy about the system you wet a string type of thing and insert into the guitar...no way.

So is humidifying the case enough? What if you use two or more soapd-dishes or ziplocks with sponges....or the Oasis in case humidifier (after what I've read about them I don't think I want any product from them, and probably thousands are very happy with the Oasis product....but I have read several posts now about them failing)

One commenter says the humidity will not get "IN" the guitar if you leave it in the case. I'm very confused. I had two acoustics dry out and it ain't happening to this one even I have to sprinkle moist fairy dust on the freakin' thing. Not losing another good acoustic to the dryout monster.

One main question I have now is....I live in NYC. Just had the guitar set up. Asked one of the guys working there if I need to start humidifying my guitar now...in the Spring in NYC. He said NO, it will be good until the fall when it starts getting cold. Especially the winter. That I know...but what about now?

I got an oasis hygrometer and it was reading about 30% in my case. Now its higher as the humidity is going up. But do I need to take action now...or was the guy in the store correct. I know its relative humidity and the temperature has something to do with it. In here it says over 70.

So, my situation..I don't live in the tropics...I don't live in the Nevada desert. I live in NYC which has hot humid summers and freezing winters...oh yeah...and those two other seasons in between. siggggghhhhhhhhh

LOVE MY NEW EPIPHONE MASTERBUILT THOUGH...Love this guitar!

ALL COMMENTS

WILL BE GIVEN MAXIMUM CONSIDERATION!

Thanks

Last edited by popguy; 04-26-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Ever since I have perfectly good Alvarez blow up on me, I have used 'dop-in' humidifiers. Plane Waves sponge drop in things for awhile, and for the past 4 years it has been the Humidipak sytem. Works well, no complaints, no horror stories, and I routinely re-charge the paks, which is a no-no I suppose. So far so good.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Guest 1928

If you maintain relative humidity anywhere in the 30-70% range you should be fine. Tighter control works too, but if you're main concern is not damaging the guitar, don't let it get dry enough to crack or wet enough to mold. In NY you shouldn't have to humidify in the spring, summer, or early fall - generally speaking.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:12 PM

30% RH is low. I can't speak for all builders, but it seems that many tend to build in the 40-45% range. Hence, 30% is lower than the building environment and certain joints will reverse their camber, causing problems of geometry and setup. Also, you will be at greater risk of top, back, and side cracking.

I am in Nova Scotia. As a general rule of thumb, I tell my clients to humidify once heating season begins and to stop humidifying once heating season ends.

You may wish to verify your hygrometer is reading correctly. There are common reports of consumer priced hygrometers being off anywhere from 2 to 15% RH.

Regarding humidifying the "case" or the "guitar"...

A client of mine had a case with a built in velcro and corresponding humidifying sponge reservoir. This was in the headstock. The neck cradle of the case essentially sealed the headstock area, so the humidity did NOT get to the body of the guitar, and his guitar developed cracks due to dryness.

Hence, I recommend:

1) For guitarist who store guitars in their case, use a planet waves sponge canister that drops into the soundhole and is held between the strings.

2) For guitarists who store their instruments outside their cases, use a Kyser soundhole humidifier. The extra plastic ring can usually be cut off and discarded. (If you buy one, you'll know what this means.)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Default humidity

There are numerous products which are safe to put inside the guitar body. If you are a doubter, squeeze the **** out of one and if it drips, use another product. Most won't drip.

i have always felt that if your ambient humidity is not adequate, you are far better off with the guitar in the case and the humidifier inside the guitar near to the part of the guitar that needs it the most.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM

I recently switched to the d'addario humidipak system after several years of almost every version of wet-sponge solution. The waterless humidipak system just puts my mind at ease after hearing the urban-myth horror stories of leaking sponge-based systems...

The only downside with humidipaks is you have to keep buying refill paks, but that's what Amazon's for I guess...
Ovation 1778T Elite
Gibson LP DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, humidifiers, in case, in guitar