The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM

Been there, done that - Back in 1970 or so, a friend's working band needed my voice, did not need another guitar player & did need a bass player. So I took up bass.

Quite a few years later, jamming with some guys while on vacation, we had magic happening vocally after a couple hours - one of those moments! They said, wow, too bad you don't play bass (They were a guitar/piano duo) because the club owner is going to pay for us to add bass and drums over the holidays. I said, well, last band I was in... Next thing I know, we drove into town and rented a bass & amp. Fun times!

If you've listened to songs completely a lot, in the field in which you'll be playing, you'll have heard the bass line a lot and if not - do so!

Good advice above, especially "less is more".

Rock solid rhythm and knowing the song well in your head...

Have fun!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 PM

As a longtime bass player, I'll second what most have said above:

• Find a pocket with your drummer. The band's music will improve exponentially if you can pull this off.

• Less is more. Really. I did a show about 12 years ago where I opted to do long whole notes on the tonic for one song. On the other songs, I had been funking and grooving and having a great time. After the show, what was the song that everyone praised me for? The long whole notes on the tonic. Go figure.

• And, finally, I've found that you create rhythm with what you don't play, rather than what you do.

Good luck! Guitar players are a dime a dozen, but a bass player who can keep time will be in demand pretty much anywhere you go.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments