The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 PM

Default Banjo uke players in here?

I have always loved the idea of the banjo uke, because I have played uke on and off but prefer a banjo-y tone to the mellow of a regular uke. Anyway, my curiosities were raised again when my local shop got a deering banjo uke. It seems like a phenomenal instrument and is great to play with depth of tone that I haven't heard in other banjo ukes. I have tried a few others (like the fluke firefly) but haven't had the chance to try any pro quality examples.

I am curious what styles you play on your banjo-lele? Clawhammer? Also, any other models I should consider? I love the look of the May-moe beansprout but not sure I want to spend that kind of money...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM

I've played both the deering and the fluke firefly. I've actually been shopping for a deal on a National, due to my metal addiction, for about 2 years, so I'm not currently looking at Banjos, because as we all know, the second I buy one a National will pop up for the sale price of my Instrument Savings Fund (ISF) plus what I paid for the Banjo uke...

But between the two I definitely would get the fluke. USA made (matters to me, doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else who disagrees), brilliant modular design (easy user adjustable neck tilt, and user maintenance/replacement of parts), and the fact that after many years I haven't "outgrown" what I considered at the time my starter uke. A standard Fluke.

As to techniques I'd probably change nothing. To me it would be all about the variety in sound compared to my current instruments. The punch, and the volume. But if it makes you embrace new skills, that would simply make it even a better purchase, because you would apply it to every other stringed instrument you play.

Last edited by blue; 08-26-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM

I play mandolin, but Linda Higginbotham is a banjo-uke player I listen to a lot. She is like the John Doyle of banjo-uke in the way she plays rhythm.

Their band is Hogwire String Band

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Banjo-uke is on my wish list, too.

I need the larger size, though, and being new to the ukulele, I will be learning both at the same time.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 PM

I just recently got a Lanikai LBU-C concert banjolele which has an aged brass and maple resonator. I think it's an awesome instrument for the money. I just played it on Sunday with our worship team for the closing song. It's got plenty of volume but since I was playing with other instruments it was played through a mic. (SM57 and Fender Acoustasonic 150) I received a lot of comments following the service. I enjoyed switching off from a guitar or mando.

Tim
Old 09-06-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I have tried a few others (like the fluke firefly)

I am curious what styles you play on your banjo-lele?
1/What did you think of the firefly?
I purchased one two months ago and I love this toy!

2/What style?
...don't laugh at me, ok? =>

http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangou...7138&archived=
Old 09-26-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
I have no experience with any newer style banjo uke. I inherited a 1920's or 1930's Banjo Uke from an Uncle that used to play in a banjo band in Detroit back then. He had fashioned a resonator for the back since they didn't have microphones. This thing can get loud! I typically play things like "Baby Face" or other fun tunes on it when people ask to hear it. It is a fun instrument! The first photos were taken when I had no idea how to adjust the bridge. I finally learned how to do that as you can see in the last photo where it is hanging on the wall with my other "Non-Guitar" instruments!

Paul,

what is that gorgeous ukulele? It looks like a "baby OM45"!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:52 PM

Got a Gold Tone banjo uke a couple of years ago, and I play it pretty much the same as my other ukes, technique wise, but it sounds pretty cool for blues. The original head was okay but I've switched it for something else the brand/model name of which I cannot remember. It came with a hardshell case too.

The new Deering looks very good and if I was to get another I'd seriously consider it.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Today I was given this little banjo uke. Seems to be a Bruno of some kind. Maybe 1920s? Closed back.

Banjo uke
Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Quick question: Can I put regular banjo strings on my little banjo uke?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks! I was just curious.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
But between the two I definitely would get the fluke. USA made (matters to me, doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else who disagrees)
Both the Deering GoodTime Banjo Uke and the Magic Fluke Firefly are 100% made in the USA.

It makes a difference to me too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments