The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Seeking advice on selling an upright bass

I'm looking for advice. A good friend recently passed away. His wife asked me to help her sell some of his musical instruments. I have a pretty good sense of how to proceed with the commonplace instruments (acoustic guitars, electric bass, amps and keyboard), but don't have a clue how to tap into the market for an upright bass. I'd appreciate any suggestions on that score. To complicate matters, the wooden, upright bass was evidently made in China, but that is the extent of what I know. I cannot find any identifying marks or labels. What information would potential buyers want? I know what specs are essential when selling a guitar, but have absolutely no sense of what I need to include in a listing for an upright bass. Thanks for any guidance you can offer. Larry
Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 AM

String length is important (nut to bridge). If you browse the listings at this link, you can quickly get a sense of what information is sought by DB buyers.

http://www.talkbass.com/forums/for-s...le-basses.144/
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Good resource

Thanks for that link, jrutledg. It's exactly what I was looking for.

As for measuring the length from the nut to the bridge, the strings on my deceased friend's bass are loose. As such, the bridge is not in place. I guess he was keeping tension off the neck while it was stored. Apparently he didn't play the instrument. How do I overcome that obstacle? I know just enough to realize placement of the bridge is critical to tuning the instrument. Any suggestions?

Thanks, again.
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;
Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am very conversant in Double Basses and able to give you any advice you need, most likely. But it is very tedious to try to guess what you've got and write about it. If you want to call me and email pictures, you are most welcome. I will give you specific information if I can.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I'm astonished by such a generous offer, Bruce. I know you have better things to do. And I know there is no point in trying to guess what bass my friend left behind without photos. I took a few photos last night to kick off this process, but would need to take some better ones before anyone could help me. I'll do that just as soon as I can and will be in touch. Thank you so much. Larry
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;

Last edited by norseman; 08-12-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2015, 11:08 AM

Sometimes the feet of the bridge leave an impression in the finish of the top. If there is a pair of marks--and hopefully only one pair--then you can lay the bass on its back, stand the bridge on the marks, and get a rough measurement of the string length.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Marais, I didn't see any such marks, but I will look again with a closer eye. It's a very sensible suggestion. Thanks.

I've used that approach with a mandolin and it worked fine (with a little trial and error to get the strings tuned to each other). I know nothing about upright bass fiddles, but I'm willing to learn.

Onward and upward.

Larry
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

A straight line between the notches on the inside of the ff holes should bisect the feet of the bridge if typical. The bridge MUST stand flat on its feet.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Got it

Thanks, Bruce. I will check the f holes for notches. The bass is not here with me at this time so I'll have to get back with my friend's wife. Larry
Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM

I would think that in the heart of bluegrass country (per your signature) there would be a pretty good market for upright basses. I looked at Chinese plywood basses a couple of years ago. Some basic workshops got me enthused about playing one, but I lay down until the feeling passed.

Check out www.stringemporium.com for more info on basses. That is where much of my limited knowledge comes from. They are in Chandler, Arizona, and might be able to help.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM

You should probably take it to a stringed instrument shop for overview/appraisal. Wm Mason and Brobst (both violin shops in N. Virginia) should be able to look at it and tell you if it is valuable/worth a setup. I say this because a setup on an upright bass is very expensive, time-consuming and difficult. Not a job for an average guitar tech. Strings alone can run $300.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Running in circles

Thanks for the suggestions and observations, folks. My widow friend has ducks nibbling at her heels in the aftermath of losing her husband. I'm willing to do what I can to help her, but she needs to approve of any action I take and other matters - such as downsizing, selling her house and finding a place to live - have her overwhelmed right now. As a first step, I contacted the The Fret Mill in Roanoke. They said they might be willing to take it on consignment. I trust they can help us put the bass together for display. That will involve reattaching the loose strings, putting the bridge in place and whatever else they think is needed to give prospective buyers a fair look at the merchandise.

Bill at Artisan Guitars has steered me to a shop in Nashville that specializes in upright basses. If things don't work out in Roanoke, I'll have to see what the widow wants to do next - possibly taking it to Nashville the next time I head west? We shall see.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Roanoke is shouting distance from Fretwell Bass in Staunton. I think they take consignments and while they have a variety of instruments the focus is in fact on basses and the last time I was in there (a week ago) they had 15 or 20 new and used ones on the floor to look at and play. I was very pleased with work they did for me on mine and Jerry clearly knows his stuff. NFI
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Great.lead. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

The Fretwell store in Staunton does not accept consignments. Nice people who offered to help identify the make and model of Jim's bass. I've got to get those photos taken and posted to my Photobucket account as a basic step for receiving help from those who have offered. This whole undertaking is not easy, but I'm gonna' persist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments