The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I know you're not supposed to believe anything you read on the 'net, especially on a manufacture's web site, but Gibson's site does say that the J35 is made with hide glue. Sure doesn't matter to me and my J35, I don't know the difference between hide glue and Elmer's.......
hide glue at the neck joint only if I remember right...

madhat.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I know you're not supposed to believe anything you read on the 'net, especially on a manufacture's web site, but Gibson's site does say that the J35 is made with hide glue. Sure doesn't matter to me and my J35, I don't know the difference between hide glue and Elmer's.......
That's interesting, Joe, hadn't seen that. I did ask Don specifically about the use of hide glue, though, and he said it was not being used on the J-35.

Last week we had another example of where the Gibson website said one thing and many of us seriously doubted it, and those of us who had doubts turned out to be correct. I'm talking about the thread about the Gibson J-60, which is a limited edition square-shouldered dreadnought that Gibson produces once in a great while.

The spec sheet on the website said the J-60 had the short scale, which the older J-60 I owned for a while did not have. Instead of trying to settle the issue by a vote, as can happen in online discussion forums, I decided to cut to the chase by calling Gibson Montana, where I was told that my instincts were correct and the website wrong: the most recent edition of Gibson J-60 guitars has the same long scale as all previous runs have had.

The problem, I was told, is that the website is updated and maintained at Gibson headquarters in Nashville, not out there at the Gibson Montana facility. So sometimes there's a bit of a disconnect between the actual facts and what the data entry folks put on the website.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's interesting, Joe, hadn't seen that. I did ask Don specifically about the use of hide glue, though, and he said it was not being used on the J-35.

Last week we had another example of where the Gibson website said one thing and many of us seriously doubted it, and those of us who had doubts turned out to be correct. I'm talking about the thread about the Gibson J-60, which is a limited edition square-shouldered dreadnought that Gibson produces once in a great while.

The spec sheet on the website said the J-60 had the short scale, which the older J-60 I owned for a while did not have. Instead of trying to settle the issue by a vote, as can happen in online discussion forums, I decided to cut to the chase by calling Gibson Montana, where I was told that my instincts were correct and the website wrong: the most recent edition of Gibson J-60 guitars has the same long scale as all previous runs have had.

The problem, I was told, is that the website is updated and maintained at Gibson headquarters in Nashville, not out there at the Gibson Montana facility. So sometimes there's a bit of a disconnect between the actual facts and what the data entry folks put on the website.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Not doubting you or Don, but it would seem very unusual for Gibson to use anything but hide glue at the dovetail - First, the use of hide glue at that joint is critical to the Gibson sound. Other glues will not dry as hard and will not allow the vibrations to go through the joint as effectively as rock-hard hide glue. People's experiences (including yours in Alaska) seem to tell me they didn't skimp there. Two, the way their line is set up it would seem to be a real pain in the hiney to use a different glue just for one model at that point. All the bodies and necks from all their guitars bottleneck through the same machines at that point, and it would seem to overly complicate and slow down the line to switch out glues just for the J-35.

Like I said, I don't want to doubt you or the contact at Gibson - but it just seems like an odd choice

I'm gonna ask at the Gibson Acoustic Facebook area, and see what they say

Edit: I just posted this at the Gibson Acoustic FB page:
Quote:
People love the new J-35 reissue, however there's a rumor flying around that hide glue is not being used at the neck dovetail. The Gibson website says it's hide, but other sources are claiming it is not. Is Hide Glue being used at the dovetail (as I suspect)? Thanks in advance . . .
They usually respond within 24 hours.

Last edited by Guest316; 07-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Gibson J-35

Everything Ive read from multiple outlets spec out the new J-35 as using Titebond for the braces and general construction but as with ALL Gibson acoustics still utilizing hot hide glue for the neck.

Don R. at Gibson is very helpful with providing answers all things Gibson acoustic so if he says otherwise I guess we gots us a conundrum.

Last edited by Triumph1050; 07-21-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 AM

Okay, I didn't know to ask Don specifically about hide glue being used on the neck joint. If it's being used there on all Gibson acoustics, then it probably is on the J-35, as well.

I'll call and ask. It's easy to do.

whm
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM

if the guitar sounds good, who cares what kind of glue was used

Dave
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
agreed! and it is ----- DARN GOOD!

madhat.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph1050 View Post
Everything Ive read from multiple outlets spec out the new J-35 as using Titebond for the braces and general construction but as with ALL Gibson acoustics still utilizing hot hide glue for the neck.

Don R. at Gibson is very helpful with providing answers all things Gibson acoustic so if he says otherwise I guess we gots us a conundrum.
Nope, no conundrum, you're correct. I just spoke with Don a couple of minutes ago, and he confirmed that the J-35, as with all Gibson acoustic guitars, the dovetail neck joint is glued with hot hide glue. "Around here we just take that for granted," he said.

When I initially asked him about what sort of glue was used on the J-35 a few days ago, he thought I was asking about what the braces were glued with. Some of the more expensive guitars in the lineup have hot hide glue for all these glue joints, but on the J-35 it's only on the neck joint.

Anyway, I stand corrected on that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
Words of Wisdom Dave, as long as it's not the same kind of glue they use on the back of post it notes.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM

"the back of all the WM Series guitars I saw were stained walnut,"

My 2000 WM-45 was natural mahogany, no stain of any kind. And, yes, the WM series had morado fingerboards and bridges aka "bolivian rosewood, pao ferro, caviuna etc.

Hide glue in the neck pockets to facilitate removal if necessary.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM

I played one of these recently and really liked it. Is the size of a round shouldered dreadnaught the same size as a Martin dreadnaught, or is it a bit smaller?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM

I got to play one yesterday and was surprised that I liked it so much.

It is on my list for the next acoustic purchase.

pvp
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM

I played one at GC that sounded great. Went back a few days later, sounded totally dead! Went to a different store and played another one, sounded great. When they sound good, they're a killer guitar.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM

I will be posting a used one in the Emporium later this week.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 AM

I wrestled with this decision for 3 days and yesterday I bought it.

The hard decision was not about the guitar, it was about spending the money.

But I got it, and set it up as I like and it's sounds great.

Looks great and I am pleased. I like the body shape also.

I got to thinking about which acoustic guitars over the years that I liked the most and it was always a mahogany body that I preferred.

So I am pleased....Pete

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion