The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM

I hadn’t taken lessons for fifty years. The best thing I did for my playing was to start lessons again. My instructor is pushing me and giving me a better understanding of music and that has made playing easier and much more enjoyable.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Five Fourths,
You have gotten many good approaches for moving forward with your guitar on AGF. Consider them all.

I am concerned for your chronic depression. I think many people do not understand how hard it is to live with that. My wife deals with the same thing so I have at least some understanding of it.

Do what you have to, address that FIRST. I expect you have talked with doctors and therapists until you really don't want to anymore.
See if there are people you can network with in your area. People who understand what you deal with. See if you can find a buddy you can call at the first sign you are headed to an undesirable place. Talk to a professional about this possibility.

As for your guitar, don't be hard on yourself. Many of us have difficulties we wish we didn't have. Concentrate on what you can do. Let me say that again... Concentrate on what you can do. This is a mantra I really believe in.

I teach a young man who has Down Syndrome. He loves Irish song. He wanted to learn guitar to play and sing these songs.Nobody would teach him. His mother asked me if I would be willing to try to teach him. I never taught anybody with Down Sydrome but I said I would try.

Fast forward 5 years. Jonny can play basic open chords and do a bunch of the songs he loves. He has to work twice as hard to get half as far as the rest of us. He does work that hard. I have him concentrate on WHAT HE CAN DO.
The satisfaction he gets from this is almost immeasurable. He is so happy to be able to do this now.
With my help, he has performed his songs at Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Concentrate on what you can do. If you do that, you will find there is more that you can do. Don't worry about perfection.

Finally, find a group with similar interests. Maybe a song circle. If there are none in your area, start one. You might be surprised how many people are in the same boat as you are. Craigslist Community, music category is a good place to start. It might take a while. Make it your mission.

I wish you all the best. Be kind to yourself.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 PM

I have to say I'm impressed with all the heart felt responses to this thread. AGF is a cool place to hang out.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:42 PM

ditto jklotz
Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I agree too guys, and I'm humbled. What a great crowd.

Paddy,
Love that story and the outcome. You helped make that whole family's life better.

I'm a fan of celtic stuff myself. I've been working on Scott Tennant's arrangement of "Wild Mountain Thyme" on my classical. Working through one measure at a time off the GSP-published standard notation. I'm getting it, but it takes time at my level. My teacher sight-read it, of course.

I think we're going to be able to do a lesson tomorrow, and hopefully get it back to weekly. We're having to be flexible with our schedules.

Thanks all!

Louis
Old 08-29-2018, 07:01 AM

Arrow Great thread...

A lot of great suggestions, I have found many of them helpful in my own struggles as a senior citizen just beginning to learn the guitar. Great life advice has also been given. Being a retired pastor that has done a lot of pastoral counseling I would suggest a long ongoing talk with your own. I would probably suggest that to anyone in most any situation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion