The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 09:01 PM

Thumbs down Considering Taylor 150e

Still in the hunt for a NEW 12 string ($1k.) Looked at a Taylor 150e (I don't want a cut-away.) at a local music store today. There are currently only 7 ratings of the 150e on Amazon, so it's hard to get a user perspective.

A lot of what I've been reading indicates a solid wood body all the way around produces better sound. The 150e, however, is laminated except for the top. Should I be concerned about that? It sounded fairly good to me, but then again...w/o my hearing aids, I'm profoundly deaf. I guess a high quality sound, therefore, would be of little benefit to me.

Should I consider a comparable 12 string that is solid wood throughout (e.g., Guild D-12-12) ? Someone told me either Guild or Martin (I can't recall which) was bought out, and is no longer trustworthy when it comes to quality. Is that true...regarding new guitars being sold today?

Also, I note that, in the guitar industry, the store prices are EXACTLY the same as the list prices from the manufacturer. So, I suppose, it's not like a car, the price of which is negotiable.

Last edited by 12FanMan; 11-09-2023 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarify a brand reference
Old 11-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I own a 150e. I don’t play a 12 string all that often, but wanted a decent one to scratch the itch every once in a while. I’m not saying there aren’t better bangs for the buck in 12ers, but all Taylors tend to play easily, so that was a factor in my decision, especially when it comes to a 12. Plus easy neck resets. I also own an 814c and 214ceDLX. The 214 is a really nice guitar from many perspectives and like the 150, it has layered b&s with an arched back (no braces) that I really think helps its volume and tone. The 214 is no slouch compared to the 814. The 150 is a good guitar. Hope this helps.

By the way, prices are always negotiable. My last purchase was from Sweetwater in March 2022 (Gibson Les Paul Studio) and before that in Dec. 2021 (Martin D18) where I got 25% off as I have for the other two guitars I’ve bought from them.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-09-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Good Value

I hadn't had a 12 string for years and was wondering if one would be a good addition to my repertoire of songs. The price of the 150 combined with Taylor's expertise in 12 strings was just the right approach for my situation.

I liked having a 12 string so much I ended up purchasing a much more expensive higher end 12 and had no problem selling the 150 for just under my cost.

The 150 easy easy to play and has the advantage of a good sound and reasonable cost if a neck reset is ever needed. After it is a 12 string and Taylor has done a good job with the strength and bracing.

Put me on the plus side of the equation.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 11-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

I played a Taylor 150E 12-string at an AGF gathering. I was used to playing my Guild F-212 at the time. (Today I have a Guild F-512 and gave the F-212 to my son.) I know that a lot of folks on the AGF think fairly highly of the Taylor 150, but I thought it was pretty dead sounding in comparison to what I was used to in the Guild F-212.

I think for very close to the same amount of money you can buy a Guild F-1512. I have also played this guitar and thought it was an excellent 12-string for the cost.

I also realize that none of us are going to judge guitars in the same way. So YMMV. Take my remarks with a grain for salt. I also realize that the Taylor neck system makes for a much more cost effective neck reset when the time comes. But for me, I would have to spend much more on a Taylor 12-string to be satisfied with the sound and sustain.

- Glenn
Old 11-10-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
Still in the hunt for a NEW 12 string ($1k.) Looked at a Taylor 150e (I don't want a cut-away.) at a local music store today. There are currently only 7 ratings of the 150e on Amazon, so it's hard to get a user perspective.

Should I consider a comparable 12 string that is solid wood throughout (e.g., Guild D-12-12) ? Someone told me either Guild or Martin (I can't recall which) was bought out, and is no longer trustworthy when it comes to quality. Is that true...regarding new guitars being sold today?

Also, I note that, in the guitar industry, the store prices are EXACTLY the same as the list prices from the manufacturer. So, I suppose, it's not like a car, the price of which is negotiable.

Welcome to the AGF! First I would caution against using Amazon reviews for guidance on buying any guitar. And the random "someone" cautioning against Guild or Martin may be suspect....For the record to my knowledge Martin has never been bought out by any other company. Guild (like many other brands) was once owned by Fender. To my knowledge their quality never seriously diminished. They're making fine guitars today.

You'll get a lot of varied and sometimes conflicting advice here, but it's usually offered by people with decades of experience buying and playing guitars.

Your best best is bring a friend who knows guitars with you when you go to try out guitars. Even if you have to drive a good ways it's worth it to try a few in person, especially if you have little experience yourself.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:19 AM

Why the thumbs down? Have you played one or just read online reviews? The Taylor 150 is not the best 12-string on the market, but it is a good value and generally quite playable, like all Taylors. I can also speak highly of the Seagull. I have no direct experience with the Guilds, but they always get good comments here.

Don't get too hung up on "all solid wood". A solid top is the main thing to have for tone. Laminated back and sides are fine, possibly even better in terms of durability (they won't crack and may be stronger long term). There is enough variability in spruce tops that the tonal contribution of solid versus laminated body woods is fairly minor.

My twelve string journey began in the mid-80's with a used 70's-era Takamine. Not bad, but not great. I then upgraded to a Seagull S12 to match my Seagull S6 in 1994 and I was pretty happy for a long time. A few years later my wife handed my a Taylor 354-LTD in a music store while I was chatting with another player. It took about five minutes of distracted fingerstyle noodling to realize that it was a twelve-string, it played so easily. Sold! Although twelve-string playing is only about 10% of my guitar time, in 2018 I upgraded again to a carbon fiber Emerald X20-12 with a shorter custom scale length. Now I'm really done -- it doesn't get any better. Hope this helps....
Old 11-10-2023, 10:40 AM

To the OP:

1. May I suggest you cease from reading any further "reviews" and go with your initial thoughts about sounding good to you.

2. Reliability and quality vary all over the map with different marques. Taylor's QC is impeccable, has a long-standing history of incredible support from folks who don't even like the brand on top of those who dig them. No one is perfect, but Taylor's out-of-the-box QC is arguably the best, and their support of the customer is absolutely the best of any of the big-named boys. Sorry to any who may dispute this, but that's just the real deal as evidenced by the years of feedback in addition to my own experience over decades.

3. A 12-string is quite the different animal compared to a 6 when it comes to playability and longevity. The Taylor "NT system" is how their neck is designed and is arguably the best system that exists when it comes to the user's ability to compensate for age and conditions over years. The NT has proven itself over and over again, and this since 2000 when it first came out. You "may" be able to find a 12 string that plays as well as a Taylor 12 new, but you're not going to find a 12string that plays as well as a Taylor 12 yeeeaars down the line. At least not so far that I have seen as the other guys still do necks the old way which, by definition, is subject to the old way of adjusting geometry. The NT is a big win for 12string guitar players.

All IMO, of course, but heck, you asked

Edward
Old 11-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

12fanman, sounds like you are learning a lot. Am glad to read that you actually held in your hands and hopefully strummed a new 12 string that is on budget. I think that scenario is much better than just reading about a guitar and listening to sound bites on youtube to determine if it will work for you. The Guild options mentioned may or may not be great for you (although in the same price range). Have you or will you be able to play one of those in your local shop for comparison?

Regarding budgets and prices, especially at that price there is nothing wrong with laminates, and in my experience Taylor makes a really nice sounding/playing product throughout their lineup. Dealers will often give a discount in person that is not listed online---they have rent to pay, etc...
Wishing you the best. Keep it fun.

Last edited by catndahats; 11-10-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:38 PM

Default Guild f-512 vs the 150e

Is the Guild F-512 still being manufactured?
Old 11-10-2023, 02:08 PM

Default 150e

[QUOTE=Earl49;7351095]Why the thumbs down? Have you played one or just read online reviews? The Taylor 150 is not the best 12-string on the market, but it is a good value and generally quite playable, like all Taylors. I can also speak highly of the Seagull. I have no direct experience with the Guilds, but they always get good comments here.
====================================
Thanks for the reply. I have much to learn, but generally...no place to learn it from someone who doesn't stand to gain from their input.

So, you're saying, aside from personal preferences, the 150e would produce no better sound than say, a Guild 1512, which has all wood construction? I must say, Taylors have a near unanimous reputation for sturdiness.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

When I was looking for a 12 string I played three 150e(s), two were just fine, the third was,.. uninspiring. They all played great. For an "entry" full sized 12 string I don't think there's a better choice.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
So, you're saying, aside from personal preferences, the 150e would produce no better sound than say, a Guild 1512, which has all wood construction? I must say, Taylors have a near unanimous reputation for sturdiness.
"Better sound" is really hard to define. It depends on your playing style, your mental image of ideal tone, and your ears -- exactly how you hear guitar sound. If you were able to play ten identical Guild's in the same room or ten Taylor's in one sitting, there will be a range of variability. Probably more variation than could possibly be attributed to laminated versus solid body woods. Some would be stellar, most would be fine, and there might be one dud in the group. One brand or the other may sing to you while the other leaves you cold. Ditto for one specific example out of the ten, even among the same model number.

Spruce tops can vary by roughly 25% in their mechanical properties and still be acceptable to build with. A hand builder can tap tune, thin the top, and shave braces to account for individual wood tops, but a factory cannot. They have a specification (usually only thickness and cosmetic grade) and you get what you get in THAT guitar. You can study specs forever, but the real test is to get to stores and play everything you can touch. Eventually one will feel right to your fretting hand and sound right to your ears. Buy that one -- not the identical model still fresh in the box in back.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:15 AM

Over the last couple of years I ended up selling a Taylor 150e, Guild f-1512 and a Takamine GD30CE-12, all new by the way, as none of them quite 'hit the spot' ( for me anyway)

Then I happened to drop on a well used, but very good, Seagull s12 (2007 model) and, oh boy this thing is outstanding, at least for my style of playing and my ears. I payed just £250 for it too, happy days.

Keep looking and keep an open mind, you may be surprised what you end up liking 👍
Old 11-11-2023, 10:02 AM

Amazon reviews for guitars don't make much sense.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is the Guild F-512 still being manufactured?
Yes, the Guild F-512 is still being manufactured. HERE is a link to Sweetwater's sale page regarding the F-512. It's an excellent 12-string priced at a little above $4K, not in the same world as a Taylor 150E.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, 150e, taylor