The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Just an observation but the switch to the 12 may change the response of the guitar. I have a Martin 000-18 that had 12s on it. I loved the sound but my guitar tech/luthier mentioned that every once in awhile it got kinda tinny sounding when played aggressively. I had him set it up with 13s (but just true mediums). The guitar responded awesome, it gained volume and warmth. I have always played with light strings and mostly fingerstyle. Like you, I'm now on a similar journey delving into bluegrass and changing to the slightly heavier strings has made a ton of difference in how the guitar sounds. Anyway, I know it's an adjustment but 13s are actually not bad if you give them a little bit. I would recommend true mediums which some consider a mixed light/medium set.
13, 17, 24, 32, 42, 56 are considered true medium. I actually order custom sets from StringJoy that are the same as above but have a 54 rather than 56. StringJoy PBs naturals are not bad cost wise. Heavier strings are definitely an adjustment but honestly the only way to go for bluegrass. Or buy a D-18/D-28 and put 13s on! Congrats on the new guitar, and yeah Sweetwater is awesome.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:53 AM

Well that was quick! I went to take the guitar out of the case and the top closed as I was taking it out (it's a very tight fit) and put about a 1/8" long, 1/32" gouge on the side near the rear strap button. So much for returning it....

On a side note I plugged it into my Fractal FM3 on a clean setting that I use for electric just to get a feel for the sound. It brightened up quite dramatically, and after listening to it unplugged I think I can live with it
Old 10-02-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Taylor’s main reason for great success is the easy playability of their guitars.

However…

When it comes to tone and sustain, any decent Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, or USA-built Guild will win the blindfold test every time.

Since you like bluegrass, I strongly suggest you try out Martin guitars, find one you like, and then have it set up by a pro so it plays comfortably.

I disagree. I have an 814c that I'll put up against any other brand for sustain and tone. Not overly bright at all...
Old 10-02-2023, 01:35 PM

Pick choice can change the tone...Try different picks...thickness and material
Old 10-02-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
I disagree. I have an 814c that I'll put up against any other brand for sustain and tone. Not overly bright at all...
Honestly my thought is that a lot of this reputation of Taylor = bright actually comes from people who try:

GS Mini
Academy series
100 series
200 series
300 series

In general my feeling has always been as you go up the line with Taylors they get less bright/brash and have a more rounded/refined top end to their sound.

That said I think the Taylors 400 series and up all have different approaches to the bass end of things too. Sometimes the 800 and 900 series have seemed too refined to me.. maybe people think they are bright more cause the bass is too refined and reined in.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Honestly my thought is that a lot of this reputation of Taylor = bright actually comes from people who try:

GS Mini

Academy series

100 series

200 series

300 series

In general my feeling has always been as you go up the line with Taylors they get less bright/brash and have a more rounded/refined top end to their sound.

That said I think the Taylors 400 series and up all have different approaches to the bass end of things too. Sometimes the 800 and 900 series have seemed too refined to me.. maybe people think they are bright more cause the bass is too refined and reined in.

I’d agree with that…plenty of bass, but different from Martin bass…a tighter low end….
Old 10-02-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Having spent several years with a 2007 514, I respectfully disagree. I liked the guitar for its size and playability, had no problem with the bass, but spent time trying to "unbrighten" the trebles.

It depends more on what you want from a guitar. I just happen to prefer fatter, richer trebles.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Definitely the guitar - I've seen plenty of Taylor players who weren't particularly bright...
Old 10-02-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Having spent several years with a 2007 514, I respectfully disagree. I liked the guitar for its size and playability, had no problem with the bass, but spent time trying to "unbrighten" the trebles.

It depends more on what you want from a guitar. I just happen to prefer fatter, richer trebles.

Also depends on how you perceive different tones and sounds…we talk about this as if its completely objective, but a huge part of it is anything but—instead, it’s very much subjective. That booming Martin bass that someone loves, sounds looose and flabby to someone else, for example…
Old 10-02-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:

GS Mini
Academy series
100 series
200 series
300 series

I agree, but I’ll admit I’m biased. I love my Taylors. I haven’t found a Martin that feels as nice as far as playability. That’s not to argue they don’t exist. I just haven’t played one.

As far as tone, I do think that my heavy Dunlop Gator picks have a big impact. They have a softer feel and are 2.0mm so that fattens things up.

My Tasmanian Blackwood 426ce has a wonderful tone that I get complements on often. Both my 816ce and my 814ce have a beautiful full tone. Of my 4 Taylors, the one with my least favorite unplugged tone is my 616ce. It’s a gorgeous tuxedo black finish and I use it a lot for my live performances as I can get a nice plugged in tone out of it.

Lighter strings can make it a bit thinner sounding. I tried 11s and did not like the tone at all.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I do perceive Taylor as a bit bright and maybe slightly harsh in certain environments. My preferred tone is old Gibsons and Martins though, so I'm pretty far to the other end of the spectrum tonally. They do have a nice articulate and modern 'sparkle' to them that works well for many types of music.

I have owned a 816, 324, 710, 918, and 614 at one point or another so I have given a variety of Taylors an extended demo. Probably may favorite was the 614. I kind of wish I had kept that one. It was one of the Andy Powers re-voiced but pre V-Class models. Surprisingly warm for a maple guitar (especially a Taylor) with the transparent clarity you get from Maple.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 10-03-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I do perceive Taylor as a bit bright and maybe slightly harsh in certain environments. My preferred tone is old Gibsons and Martins though, so I'm pretty far to the other end of the spectrum tonally. .

And there's nothing at all wrong with that--we all have preferred tones that we like and seek out.

My beef is with people who say, in essence, "Taylors are crap because they aren't Martins...". That's like saying Kansas barbecue sucks because it isn't Georgia barbecue....
Old 10-03-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Probably may favorite was the 614. I kind of wish I had kept that one. It was one of the Andy Powers re-voiced but pre V-Class models. Surprisingly warm for a maple guitar (especially a Taylor) with the transparent clarity you get from Maple.
You're talking about the 614 with the dark-stained maple? I agree that they had a surprisingly warm tone. IIRC, Taylor stained them dark to offset the bias some had against light-colored maple, and to "suggest" a darker tone.

Powers had some good ideas in his early days.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
And there's nothing at all wrong with that--we all have preferred tones that we like and seek out.

My beef is with people who say, in essence, "Taylors are crap because they aren't Martins...". That's like saying Kansas barbecue sucks because it isn't Georgia barbecue....
I know, you’d think people would like a bit of variety. I have what most consider Martin and Taylor’s flagship guitars and I thoroughly enjoy them both.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:04 PM

Maybe it shouldn’t be a rule but it is .. just add the cost of a setup to whatever you buy and playability should never need figure in your decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bluegrass, brightness, new strings, taylor