The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Default sage advice request!

hi. first post for me. i was thinking of trying out a gibson dread of the J45 variety, don't have tons of $, and had seen a 1995 J45 Western for sale. Natural top, vintage style tuners, pretty cool looking. has anyone ever played one? any recommendations on a J45/50 type? thank you!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if you have your heart set on an actual Gibson or not, but as far as a "J45 Type" dread that I would recommend with a much lower price tag than a Gibby, it would be an Eastman E10SS. It is a great J45 style guitar with a very full, sweet tone all it's own. I recently picked one up, and absolutely love it. You can get a brand new one for just a bit over 1k. I don't think you'd be disappointed!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lovelady,

I see this is your first post here on the AGF! Welcome to the forum!

I have played a few Gibson J-45 and J-50 guitars over the years. Some people love them and when you find a really good sounding one, they can be pretty magical. However, I can't help identifying with kcnbys's thread just above mine where he recommends the Eastman E10SS. Eastman is a made-in-China guitar but is very good quality and they have rapidly acquired a solid reputation. I bought an Eastman archtop that I am very happy with.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Some of the AGF sponsors sell Eastman guitars, such as LA Guitar Sales. Considering that cost does matter, the Eastman gives you a quality route to take with very low risk of getting a clunker.

Best of luck,
Glenn
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM

Default thanks

thanks. I think i'm sort of set on American made at this point, although everything I've heard about Eastman has been great. Ii was looking for a different sound from my Guild F50(which is my forever guitar) and thought a Gibson might be the answer. maybe I just need a Guild rosewood dread! I really appreciate your help!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM

thanks Glenn. Eastman's look great, but i'm on this American made kick right now that I just can't shake!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Default J35 perhaps?

Hi and welcome aboard,

Although I am an unabashed Martin Guy, I have a Gibson J45 that I really like.
So much so that I chose it over a D18, which I thought was sacrilege at the time, but there is something about a Gibson...

Having only played one J35, I may not be the best to recommend it, but I was impressed and would encourage you to take a look and listen.

Again, welcome to the forum.
woodbox
Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Eastmans get a good rap in this forum, but you might be better off getting the real deal in used if you can find one you like. - Resale value would probably be better if you decide you don't like it, especially if you can haggle the selling price down.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM

I own both a Gibson J-50 (a non-sunburst version of a J-45) and an Eastman E10-SS. I assume you aren't that familiar with the Gibson tone versus other slope shoulder dreadnought style guitars. It's something I won't try to describe, many try but words are inadequate to the task. Maybe you want a Gibson because there is something about the brand you identify with. If you want a Gibson at a good price look for a used WM-45 by them or you can begin to find good used J-35's now. They are excellent deals for the money. The Eastman E10-SS is a great guitar. You probably get the most bang for the buck. You get a great sunburst finish guitar, you get an Adirondack spruce top (usually an upcharge from most companys), you get a bone nut and saddle, you get excellent workmanship BUT you don't get a Gibson's tone. You get a more modern tone, a boutique guitar tone; very powerful. I like both for their differences because I like slope shoulder guitars. I'd look at Recording Kings too as they have a quality of sound about them and a playability that is very Gibson-like (more so than an Eastman..I own an RNJ-25) and they are VERY reasonably priced. We live in great times for choices. You almost can't make a bad choice. Good luck. I hope I didn't confuse.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Forgot to add: Whatever you get SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY TO GET IT PROFESSIONALLY SET UP! It makes a huge difference.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Welcome to the forum!

You'll do well to play as many Gibsons as you can. There is such copy-to-copy variability that it is astounding. I haven't yet played a J-45 that I'd take home but I know it's just a matter of time.

It took 6 J-35s before I found "the one" and boy is it ever so!

While I think playing tons of instruments is a sound thing to do in general, it may be more important when targeting Gibson specifically. It won't be subtle when a particular guitar informs you it's a keeper!

Good luck! The hunt is a lot of fun!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

A good J-45 is truly a wonderfully sounding instrument, but be sure to try several in person to find the one that says "take me home".
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, Lovelady. I have a 96 J 50, and it's one of my favorite guitars.

There are several varieties of J 45s in the early 90s--the Western was one. The mid 90s were when Bozeman-made slopes were bringing back Gibson's reputation for fine guitars.

The nomenclature of Gibson J 45s can get confusing, but if you start a thread by asking about a J 45 Western, someone will know more about that specific model.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Jim. so you think the mid 90s Bozeman's in general are pretty good? that answers one question I had. i definitely am considering J50s. thanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM

thanks. the 45s seem to get all the hype, but it's good to know about the 35s
Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM

great advice all around! thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion