The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 AM

Default Levin Kneck bolts

G'day all,
I'm new here and this is my first post..
I've just got myself a 1958 Levin 335 archtop.The bloke that I bought it off said it was set up ready to go, but when I tuned it up to pitch,there was a gap of 30 thou between the heel of the neck and the Guitar body.
I contacted him and he said that the two socket head nuts attaching the neck to the body were loose.I made a tool with a 5mm square end ,poked it up through the tail (after apologising to the Guitar for this violation ! ) and got nearly a full turn on the lower socket type nut.
I put it all back together,the gap closed to about 4 though,it held it's tune and was fairly playable.
Things just didn't feel right when I was tightening the lower nut,so I decided to take the socket screws right out and remove the neck to have a better look.. I'm glad I did because there was rust inside the screws making them tight ,hence the bad feel I was getting.Running a 5mm tap through the nuts fixed this..
So to my questions (2)..There is a 20mm flat washer and a Spring washer on each of the screws.. The Spring washers look a bit modern and seem out of place... should they BE there ? or should there jut be the socket nut and the flat washer.
...and ..
What would be a good string gauge to use on a Guitar of this Vintage ? .. I'm leaning towards a flat wound or semi-flat wound set..
Thanks in advance... nice to be here..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops