The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-21-2016, 02:59 PM

Congratulations. Glad you had a great purchasing experience.

ASAT's are great guitars -and Bluesboys are especially prized. Hope you enjoy yours for a long time.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Very Nice....much like an Albert Collins signature.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:24 PM

It's been two weeks now, and the love affair has not abated.

The funny thing is that the difference between the neck of this guitar and my Japanese EVH Wolfgang Special is so small that they might as well be the same neck. The frets are another story though as these are huge jumbos and the EVH is "vintage" stainless steel. It truly is a perfect guitar for me. flat 12 inch radius, and the tones I want.

The thing everybody always says when trying to describe the tone of an ASAT Classic with the Telecaster style bridge, and Telecaster looking bridge pickup is that it doesn't sound like a tele. It sounds like a strat. That isn't really true. It sounds more like a strat than a tele, but it really is its own thing. More like a super clean "hi-fi" P-90.

The middle position is a dream come true. The Neck with the Seth Lover is just such a perfect fat, warm tone. Those who don't like this kind of tone would call it dark. To me it's so creamy no matter how treble-y the amp or pedal you're using. Really gorgeous low-ish output vintage PAF sounding. i can't speak for the solid body, but with the semi hollow, it could take the place of a 335 neck sound.

This guy "Greg's guitars" has probably the best demo of this thing (and extra points for the teddy bear mic stand). It's worth sitting through even if you lived through the 80's and 90's "Sexy Jazz" and would normally run away screaming. He really purposefully and regularly switches between the pickups to show them off. And if anybody knows about him I have a question. Does Greg own all the guitars he plays?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:15 PM

Default G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy

I agree with Blue's comments regarding the MFD pickups on the ASAT Classic. My Classic semi hollow has 2 MFDs and I agree that there is a lovely P90 character to them. That's not to say you can't get tele-like tones from them but I enjoy my ASAT for what it is - an extremely well built Tele-style guitar with awesome pickups and a fantastic neck. Last summer I was able to use a Blues Boy variant at a show we did and that was excellent too.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-06-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
That's not to say you can't get tele-like tones from them but I enjoy my ASAT for what it is - an extremely well built Tele-style guitar with awesome pickups and a fantastic neck.
I can make mine sound country as all get out. Two words: Dyna Comp

Seriously. A compressor on the MFD takes you to Nashville.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Oh I agree - I use a Wampler Ego comp.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 AM

I have the asat Classic and legacy. I live the G & L. They also have great support if you call them. I called them last week and they told me how to pickups up correctly on my Asat and it sounds great with the mfd. I always lived the bridge but messed with the neck and it was too bassy but now at 3/32 and 2/32 it is great.

How is the bass strings compared to the high strings balance on the humbucker. Mine players like a dream. I think the neck is 9.5 on them according to the specs on the g & l site. My asat is 9.5 and legacy is 12 both are great.

Toms Soundclick Page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars