The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 AM

Default About Les Pauls...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/101...-want-it/58260

I always thought it would have been neat for my dad to have bought me a guitar when I was born 60 years ago...
Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 AM

I remember when I was about 4 or 5 and Les Paul had a regular show on TV. It was only 15 minutes long. Les and Mary would do a song together, followed by a "life at home" skit which would lead into a Listerine commercial and then Les would break out and really play guitar at the end of the show. In my little pre-school head I thought: "Boy! I want to do THAT!" 60 years later and I'm still trying. But Les was always a great inspiration and the sound of a Les Paul guitar just cannot be matched.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 AM

Sweet! The estimate is that that Les Paul will go for $625,000. There were 1800 Les Pauls made in those final 3 years, '58-'60, before it was discontinued (until '68) and only a handful still around.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! The estimate is that that Les Paul will go for $625,000. There were 1800 Les Pauls made in those final 3 years, '58-'60, before it was discontinued (until '68) and only a handful still around.
I can only imagine what Pages Les Pauls will sell for.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

I saw that Lester at Carter's a couple weeks ago. Really nice shape. Really nice price tag too, so it was still there when I left.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
I can only imagine what Pages Les Pauls will sell for.
I think that Page's #1 1959 Les Paul would set a record for most expensive sold. Over $2M for sure. I guess all you need is an auction and two people who want it and are willing to pay. $3M, 4M? Just my thoughts though.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I remember when I was about 4 or 5 and Les Paul had a regular show on TV. It was only 15 minutes long. Les and Mary would do a song together, followed by a "life at home" skit which would lead into a Listerine commercial and then Les would break out and really play guitar at the end of the show. In my little pre-school head I thought: "Boy! I want to do THAT!" 60 years later and I'm still trying.,,
Gee - you too...?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
I think that Page's #1 1959 Les Paul would set a record for most expensive sold. Over $2M for sure. I guess all you need is an auction and two people who want it and are willing to pay. $3M, 4M? Just my thoughts though.
And a dual linage: Page bought it from Joe Walsh.

By the way, the claim of "first sunburst" is disputed. Apparently the shipping book just calls it a "special finish" and there are two others that are first listed, later, as "sunburst."

As the folks on the Les Paul Forum were ogling this guitar I mentioned the fact that it was a three piece top and said that perhaps this is where Gibson got the idea for the much-despised three-piece tops in the '70s. It went over like a lead balloon.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

By the way, the claim of "first sunburst" is disputed. Apparently the shipping book just calls it a "special finish" and there are two others that are first listed, later, as "sunburst."

As the folks on the Les Paul Forum were ogling this guitar I mentioned the fact that it was a three piece top and said that perhaps this is where Gibson got the idea for the much-despised three-piece tops in the '70s. It went over like a lead balloon.

Bob
Maybe this guitar was going to a gold top originally where three pieces wouldn't matter as no one would see it.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
LOL, you gotta be careful what you say over there. I guess it's the same thing over here with acoustics.
Nice pun with "lead" given that we were also talking about Jimmy Page here.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
LOL, you gotta be careful what you say over there. I guess it's the same thing over here with acoustics.
Nice pun with "lead" given that we were also talking about Jimmy Page here.
And a Led Zeppelin is after all a "lead balloon"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars