The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I see the Taylor logo, but I can't find this guitar on the Taylor website. What is it? (Admittedly, I am an electric-guitar novice and, apparently, dummy.) Whatever it is, I'm glad you like it!
-Bob
Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Fazool! As I was reading your list of wants, I thought: he is describing a SB Taylor electric. Lo and behold (and, honestly, how often do you get to say that?), I got to the photo.

Since Taylor isn't making these any more, you not only have a fine guitar, you have a collector's item.

Enjoy!

Jim
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor SB1 mini-review

Well, I've had this guitar for several days now and been playing it quite a bit.

I simply cannot gush enough about how much I am loving this guitar. And one of the things that was important to me is the ability to play my Taylor-feel guitar (just for my own enjoyment) while sitting outside on the patio or sitting on the couch. Yesterday I was playing semi-silently on the couch while my family watched TV next to me.

Later, I used my headphone amp to really "rock out" while my daughter was reading a book nearby.

The more time I get with this guitar, the greater the bond I have with it. And because it feels "identical" to my Taylor GC7, I don't ever feel like I have to choose between them when I pick either up.

The pickups on this thing are fantastic. The sound is so powerful and so clear and with simple adjustments I can get so many tonal varieties out of this simple little setup.

If you saw my lengthy posts about my vintage Gibson (and lifelong electric) you will know how much that guitar means to me. Well, this guitar is head-and-shoulders above that (my beloved Gibson) in every way - comfort and playability, tonal pallet, quality, etc. The only thing my old Gibson does better is sustain (which it was designed specifically for) and it has slightly smaller frets but my SB1's feel like my GC7 so I am more comfortable with them.

I think I got lucky again, because it appears like this guitar was (literally) never played. I mean, there is zero wear on the frets or fingerboard. There is one ballpoint pen sized micro-dent in the finish and two tiny spots where I see some very minor "rippling" in the gloss lacquer from the underlaying surface preparation. If I had to describe the condition of the guitar, I would qualify those two things I described and say "other than those, this thing is perfect and looks like a $5K guitar in fit and finish).

Generally speaking, companies don't abandon products that are making them money. Whatever the cause (poor sales, high manufacturing costs or warranty expenses) companies stop selling products when they are not making (enough) money on them.

So, clearly that was the case here. I think it is a shame, because the design and build quality is so impressive I cannot fathom that these weren't resounding successes.

If I were "king for a day" I would resurrect this product line.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately you can't resurrect the line. I will say in my near 45 years of playing I have never regretted getting a backup for something I felt was superb, underappreciated, "underpriced", and discontinued. Like Chandler guitars when I needed "pointy guitars" and they were out of fashion.

Think about the available pickup configurations, and if you truly need (relative term) another guitar. Not trying to incite, or support gas. Just sayin'.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Unfortunately you can't resurrect the line. I will say in my near 45 years of playing I have never regretted getting a backup for something I felt was superb, underappreciated, "underpriced", and discontinued. Like Chandler guitars when I needed "pointy guitars" and they were out of fashion.

Think about the available pickup configurations, and if you truly need (relative term) another guitar. Not trying to incite, or support gas. Just sayin'.
Actually........I've been shopping for a backup loaded pickguard already and even looking for a possible backup guitar. I actually made an offer on an extra pickguard last night. I'm really only worried about the bridge and electronics. I see enough of these still on eBay so if disaster struck I would be able to get a replacement> Once those start dwindling I will get a spare because I intend to keep this guitar.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

When I was playing a lot of electric guitar, I used EB Super Slinky 9's. I liked the light feel and bendability.

Taylor's stock config is 010's on this. I run one gauge lower than recommended (on my acoustics) so it was strange for me to go heavier. I went up to Elixir nano 11's (those were the most similar to what I run on my GC7.

I tweaked the truss rod for the heavier string tension.

Oh me, oh my!

This is even better than when it was already a wonderful discovery.

I am loving this even more. I am having so much fun with this thing - it just FEELS perfect.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am having so much fun with this thing - it just FEELS perfect.
It just doesn't get any better than that!
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars