The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 PM

Default My Dad's Old Dobro Model 37

Getting ready to put new tuner buttons on my Dad's old Dobro Model 37.

I can't wait to get started playing. He used to play Hawaiin, but I'm going to learn Bluegrass. The High Lonesome Road.

Who is the best Dobro guy on YouTube, if anyone has learned to play that way?

Last edited by ajay; 03-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 AM

I assuming you are going to be playing Squareneck style dobro? Assuming that's the case my recommendation - if you're not already familiar with them - would be to start by listening to the top three dobro players of all time and taking it from there - Josh Graves, Mike Auldridge & Jerry Douglas. Each of these players has a different style with their own signature licks, and are a great resource to get started with
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Yes. My Dad's Dobro is a 1937 Model 37 Squareneck. I still have his well-worn bar slide and metal fingerpicks. Thank You for the advice. There is a really good lesson on YouTube for "Man Of Constant Sorrow", which is easily my favorite "High Lonesome" song.

Thank You for the advice, and I will search those artists for tips. I have a feeling that this is going to be my instrument from now on. I may need to sell a few nice acoustic guitars that I won't be using much anymore.

Here's a shot of my Dad's Model 37.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Here is the peghead. I will be replacing three buttons this week. I made a tool out of aluminum that enabled me to change the strings and tune it up without grinding up the ends that go into the buttons.

I haven't seen many Pegheads that are this clean. This is absolutely original and untouched, and I have yet to see another with a perfect decal.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM

This is the back. There are no scratches or marks anywhere, and our house was always well-humidified, so it is also crack-free. This will be a very suitable instrument with which to learn the art of Bluegrass Dobro.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:52 AM

Cool Dobro!!

A book I found very useful and entertaining when I first started the Dobro was "The Dobro Book" by Stacy Phillips.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM

I'm getting ready to interview author Steve Toth about his book Dobro Roots which is pictorial history of pre-war wood bodied squareneck dobro's. I'll let you know when I've published the interview!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Cool Dobro!!

A book I found very useful and entertaining when I first started the Dobro was "The Dobro Book" by Stacy Phillips.
I was recently leafing through my copy, which I've had for more than 30 years. It was an outstanding piece of work when I got it, and it's even more valuable now because YouTube and other Web resources make available the works of the artists mentioned in the book. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Nice Dobro! one of the California made ones, soundwell/screenholes.
The classic bluegrass Dobro.
Its a beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments