The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Yes, I picked up a travel container kit and it had several sizes. The smallest container fit between the E-string and the side of the sound hole.

You could even stretch it between two strings.
Great! Thanks Fazool!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
A tiny portion of one ($2) bag of flower water beads from Walmart $0.50
A scew-cap travel jar from the grocery store $1.50
I was at my local Walmart today and absolutely no one I asked had any idea of what water beads are, even after I described them...unbelievable! I suspect I'll be able to get them at a florist shop even though they might cost a bit more.

Screw-cap travel jar? Ditto. No one at Walmart or my large chain grocery, or a small family owned grocery had any idea of what they are.....another big unbelievable!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

OK, here are some more options for DIY case and soundhole humidifiers.

We've already discussed the gel beads which can be found in the floral aisle at Walmart, Joanns, Michael, Hobby Lobby, etcetera.

For holding them, you might also consider "organzabags". They are mesh fabric bags which are very easy to use and seem pretty secure. They also are very open, allowing the beads to breathe. Use caution however, since direct contact will cause wetting of the surface, so you don't want these laying inside your guitar touching the wood. They won't drip, but if they are in direct contact there will be wetting.

If you are looking for something larger, an ideal material is cross-stitch "fabric". You know this stuff: little old ladies make little yarn pictures or coasters or whatnot with this stuff. Its basically huge white plastic window screen. The nice thing about this stuff is that mesh openings are the perfect size: they are very wide but small enough that the dried up beads do not fall through them. You can cut a piece of this and hot-glued it as a window screen on a soap dish or something.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I was at my local Walmart today and absolutely no one I asked had any idea of what water beads are, even after I described them...unbelievable! I suspect I'll be able to get them at a florist shop even though they might cost a bit more.

Screw-cap travel jar? Ditto. No one at Walmart or my large chain grocery, or a small family owned grocery had any idea of what they are.....another big unbelievable!
I found the water beads today at Walmart in the craft section next to the dried flowers and floral styrofoam - they come in two different sized bags. I'm going to try putting them into a Dampit tube - I use them in the f-holes of my Taylor T5 and T3 and find that I have to re-wet the sponges at least every other day. Should be an interesting experiment.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcameron View Post
I'm going to try putting them into a Dampit tube - I use them in the f-holes of my Taylor T5 and T3 and find that I have to re-wet the sponges at least every other day. Should be an interesting experiment.
So much for that idea - they swell up too much for the inside diameter of the Dampit tube, and ooze out the holes.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 AM

Fazool, Thanks for the great idea. I came across this post after the local luthier said I need to pay more attention to humidifying my guitars. Rather than using glue, I used a nylon nut to secure the screw and I mounted it and the grommet on the back instead of the side.

1 Travel Container Kit (Target $5)
1 pack Ocelo Sponges (Meijer $3)
2 Nylon Machine Screws: 1/4 - 20 x 1/2 (Lowes $0.50)
2 Nylon Hex Nuts: 1/4 - 20 (Lowes $0.50)
2 Rubber Grommets: 9/16 OD x 1/4 ID (Lowes $1)
1 Packet - Crystal Accents DecoBeads (Hobby Lobby $3)

Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Default sound hole

I had placed velcro on the base for attaching to my case.

Today I wanted to put a humidifier in my sound hole (since we were at 2deg again and the furnace was cranking).

I thought of a better attachment, instead of my nylon screw and grommet idea.

I simply kept the velcro and used another strip of velcro to sandwich the strings. I shook the guitar and it didn't slip.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Very cool! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Great ideas folks! Just pick up some water beads yesterday and am going to pilfer a small Tupperware container.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Humidipack

I got some beads, soaked em' and dumped them in the Humidipack mesh sleeves. So far so good, will let you know long term results! I even cut one in half to see if water oozed out, Nope!

Anybody else try this?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Anyone?

Anyone try it?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I tried some mesh bags. But make sure you use Goretex fabric (like Oasis etc.) because otherwise water will wick through normal fabric bags.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Dano View Post
Anyone try it?
I bought the water beads and soaked a few. (weird stuff, that. We were playing with them, trying to squish them, seeing how high they bounce, etc...)

I pickup my guitar tonight from a setup so I'll "install" the humidifier tonight.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 AM

Default The Answer

Finally a cheap, simple answer to a long standing problem. daVinci himself would be impressed! Thanks for some great ideas!!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Thanks, fazool! Great idea. Just wondering how you feel about it nearly one year later?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair