The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 AM

For what it's worth. Fender SuperChamp X2 has tubes and modeling. The Bugera V22 has a beautiful, creamy, warm sound, but mine died after 6 months. I hope to get it working again. To that end, I'm learning everything I can about tube amps by building a Boothill 5F1 Champ clone.

Ditch
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

May I add the Roland Cube 40, or if you can find a Cube 30 or 30X on craigslist. Light, sound great, suitable for home use. Direct line out if you need to gig sometime. One 10" speaker.

Good luck... lots of options.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM

I'll give a +1 to the Fender Mustang III. I don't pull out the electric that often, so I don't like messing around with all the various effects pedals (chorus, distortion, delay, reverb, phaser, and all that other stuff). Buy a tube amp, and you, while not obligated, will sooner or later be inclined to consider purchase of effects pedals.

The modeling amps will have these built in. Effects quality is not as good (but good 'nuff, IMHO), but if you're just noodling... not really a problem. For a simple, inexpensive, maintenance free way to get into playing the electric, the modeling amps are pretty compelling. If it's your thing, you can always delve into tubes later.

I've also come up with settings on the Mustang III that do a more than passable job for amplifying my acoustics (in a pinch).
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM

Go with a small tube amp. You will be happy down the line that you did. You can always purchase a multi effects pedal from Digitech or Line 6 to give you all those sounds.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Wow such divided opinion, I guess that's healthy! Some say tube amp, some modelling amp. As was pointed out, the fender super champ is a tube and modelling amp, so this seems to be the best of both worlds?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM

A tube amp starts off with a preamp. There could be any number of tubes in here - usually 12AX7's (actually two tubes in one bottle). The preamp probably contributes most sonic character but all parts of the circuit are important to the final sound.

Unless it's a very small amp, next up is a tube which splits the signal in two: the phase inverter. Half goes to one side of the power amp, half goes to the other. The power amp uses tubes like 6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34 and drives the output transformer - and hence the speaker.

Incidentally, never try running a tube amp if it's not plugged into a speaker. Without a proper load to push against, something will probably burn out.

Super Champs... although they do have a tube power amp (and phase inverter thingy) the preamp is all digital. The Fender marketing department like to confuse customers by highlighting the fact that they do contain tubes but they're not really tube amps.

I tried one once, and thought it sounded pretty good clean but the modelling stuff isn't for me. It can't beat a great tube amp tone.

If music is a matter of life and death aim high. There are much better amps. Some kind of Fender Deluxe would give you lots of classic tones, either the older Tweed design (5E3) or a Deluxe Reverb.

If you're worried about maintenance, get a famously well-made Matchless, such as the Spitfire.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Tube amp guy here. Forget all that modeling stuff, that is for good looking people, not guitarists. Digital modeling seems to take away all the character of the guitar going through it. Why buy a nice guitar just to reduce it to the most common of cheap sounding instruments?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Amplifier choice should be based on what you plan to do with the amp, what kind of sound you want, as well as your budget. Modeling amps and small tube amps (with master volume) are a good choice if you plan to play at home at quieter levels. Many small tube amps can be quite loud and may need additional effect pedals to get the tone you want. Many modeling amps have a lot of effects built in.

I am primarily an electric guitarist. I love my tube amps, but for home I am usually happy with my Trademark 30 solid state amp. When I use my tube amps (Dr Z Maz 18, Ghia and a THD Flexi) I use an attenuator (that's a power soak used so the tube amp can run a bit hotter) to tame the volume.

If you have the money, go for a nice tube amp and buy an attenuator ... Since you are just starting out on electric, I would suggest going small ... You can always upgrade later.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Modeling amps are cool for home use but I'd recommend you get a nice little tube amp like a Classic 30 or a Fender Champ and then put a modeling preamp like a line 6 in front of it. That way you can always get that straight up tube amp tone and still have modeling, best of both worlds. And you never know in the future if you might form a band so a amp like the 30 will do just fine for that.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Modeling amps are cool for home use but I'd recommend you get a nice little tube amp like a Classic 30 or a Fender Champ and then put a modeling preamp like a line 6 in front of it. That way you can always get that straight up tube amp tone and still have modeling, best of both worlds. And you never know in the future if you might form a band so a amp like the 30 will do just fine for that.
+1. Good advice.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM

A Modeling amp..you mean with all those "virtual" ..fake sounds ?

Fender Deluxe 22 Watt
Mesa Boogie MK Combo w/ Celestion

A Not small amp a good handwired Vox AC30.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

A vintage silver face Champ is a GREAT choice for home use. They sound awesome and play well with pedals.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM

If you want a decent amp to start with and see what's better, Get a Fender
" Frontman 25r" for $99 and you'll see how something SS ,cheap ,and loud can compete with a tube amp.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Here's a comparison of a tube amp and one of those 'fake sounding' modeling amps.

Oh and just in case it wasn't so completely obvious as some around here might suggest, here's what you were listening to:

Might be a good idea to try a few amps for yourself before you decide based on someone elses opinion.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Here's a comparison of a tube amp and one of those 'fake sounding' modeling amps.

Oh and just in case it wasn't so completely obvious as some around here might suggest, here's what you were listening to:

Might be a good idea to try a few amps for yourself before you decide based on someone elses opinion.
Apparently, neither amp can produce any clean tones..........................

Production note: they REALLY need to put microphones in front of the talent's mouths so some of us can actually understand what they are SAYING through all the reverberant field of the room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars