The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM

Cool

I would suggest you find a musical FRIEND, whose judgment you trust and take them along to look. When they PLAY the guitar you can hear how it sounds.
Try LOTS of models until you find THE ONE. That must have guitar will tell you to take me home....and you will agree and that will make for a happy end (to this chapter, because you will have GAS and MUST have next guitar sooner than later...that's the way it goes!
Enjoy the search!!
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Cool How will I recognize a good guitar when I see one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
where do you find one of them
If you don't know anyone that has the knowledge and experience, the task of find a good guitar can be daunting, but it can be done.

As others have said, go out and play as many guitars as you can, pay attention to the sound, and the feel, and take notes. Google "how to pick a guitar" and you will get some idea of what you need to know, as far as "fit & finish" but you will have to develop an ear for recognizing the sound you prefer. Keep in mind that the sound will change with a different set of strings, and hearing the difference of different nylon strings requires some experience.

When I find a guitar that "speaks to me" the hairs on the back of my neck will tingle, sending shivers down my spine.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM

No one ever will never recognize a good guitar when they see one. You may however recognize a good guitar when you play one

I've seen many guitars hanging in the shops I did repairs for that look all nice and shiny and beautiful. Polished turds is what a friend who worked in the shop called them. Ever since the Internet took off and the mom and pop shops started closing down because people would come in to try a guitar and then go buy it online for $25 dollars cheaper the whole idea of how a guitar looks took on an even more superficial meaning.

So get out there and play some and find the one that speaks to you.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM

"where do you find one of them"

They are out there.. they just don't seem to post here.

Go over to Del Camp and find someone close to your locale.. they are a helpful group with some serious experience.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeleric View Post
how will I recognize a good guitar when I see one?
As odd as this may sound, you'll just know. It's like seeing your child for the first time (ok, maybe not that intense). You won't have to ask yourself whether it's a good guitar or try to convince yourself of it, you'll just know it's a good guitar and it'll move you.

All my acoustic guitars, I've only needed to play them for five minutes before knowing.

Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical