The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-23-2024, 05:07 PM

Arrow What The Heck Happened? Changing Strings

I have a Squire Affinity I changed the pickups and I replaced the strings ... the problem is for some reason it won't stay in tune and my bridge is lifting up when I get in tune ... then it goes flat and out of tune. I've never had this problem before changing strings, what is happening.... how do I correct this?

95 Fender AG 15 N
Squire Strat
RW Jameson Electric/Acoustic Nice $100!
Starshine 12 String Electric
03 Ibanez AK 95
Epiphone Songmaker DR-212

Old 01-23-2024, 08:24 PM

Stratocaster? Did you go up a string size? Pop.off the back cover and tighten the tremolo screws until the bridge is flush. Look for YouTube videos on adjusting the trem. This is an easy adjustment once you see what you're dealing with.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:43 PM

Arrow

Yes it's a stat and I did go up on the string gauge. Do I have to loosen the strings to tighten the screws on the trem? The screws are pretty far in I think I may have to screw them in completely. Should I get more springs ... there are three now. I see if I can find an adjustment video.

Thanks.

95 Fender AG 15 N
Squire Strat
RW Jameson Electric/Acoustic Nice $100!
Starshine 12 String Electric
03 Ibanez AK 95
Epiphone Songmaker DR-212

Old 01-23-2024, 09:17 PM

The strings need to be at pitch when you tighten it. It doesn't take too many turns to get it flush so you might be pleasantly surprised. Adding springs would help if it's truly maxed out.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
The strings need to be at pitch when you tighten it. It doesn't take too many turns to get it flush so you might be pleasantly surprised. Adding springs would help if it's truly maxed out.
I was very tired when I posted this last night. Detune, adjust, see where you're at tuning up, rinse wash repeat. It doesn't have to completely flush. Some like the trem to "float", others prefer "decked". When I've had strats mine were closer to decked which I think adds to tuning stability which was my priority. You'll find discussion and demonstration in videos. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2024, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Yes it's a stat and I did go up on the string gauge. Do I have to loosen the strings to tighten the screws on the trem? The screws are pretty far in I think I may have to screw them in completely. Should I get more springs ... there are three now. I see if I can find an adjustment video.

Thanks.
yes, you need to readjust the trem screws to compensate for the increased "pull" tension from the new string gauge

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-24-2024, 08:52 AM

I have also had the bridge get crooked on the bridge post or not seated properly.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:40 AM

The other day I did the first string change on the new Strat I bought a couple months ago. The dealer had the trem set up to be really stable and work smoothly and I did NOT want to mess it up. So instead of my usual take ‘em all of at once I carefully did one string at a time and tuned the new string to pitch before removing the next.

Good news is, after the restring I gave the whanger a couple good shakes, touched up the tuning and it was fine, tuning and intonation stable, trem works the same as before.

Bad news is, I am now going to be superstitious and ultra-careful every time I change strings! I want to put off learning to adjust or troubleshoot Strat trems as long as possible, if not longer. Learned helplessness.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-31-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
I have a Squire Affinity I changed the pickups and I replaced the strings ... the problem is for some reason it won't stay in tune and my bridge is lifting up when I get in tune ... then it goes flat and out of tune. I've never had this problem before changing strings, what is happening.... how do I correct this?
You can either tighten the screws of the claw (drive them in deeper) or you can add shorter springs between the claw & sustain block (don't necessarily have to change them all, though). Strats are very much a balancing act in terms of being adjusted for the gauge strings you're using, and depending if you want full-floating, dive-only or some combination thereof.

I set mine to be mostly dive with just enough up-trem to prevent the bridge from smacking the top of the axe when released; usually end up with the bridge plate mostly parallel to the top This also makes it play in tune better when I'm bending notes with fingers only, as with bent unisons, intervals, etc.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-01-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
The other day I did the first string change on the new Strat I bought a couple months ago. The dealer had the trem set up to be really stable and work smoothly and I did NOT want to mess it up. So instead of my usual take ‘em all of at once I carefully did one string at a time and tuned the new string to pitch before removing the next.

Good news is, after the restring I gave the whanger a couple good shakes, touched up the tuning and it was fine, tuning and intonation stable, trem works the same as before.

Bad news is, I am now going to be superstitious and ultra-careful every time I change strings! I want to put off learning to adjust or troubleshoot Strat trems as long as possible, if not longer. Learned helplessness.
Don't be intimidated by it. If you can use a screwdriver you can adjust a Strat trem.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I like the floating setup on a Strat where you have about a half step up on the pull up and a step and a half down when you really lean into it. It gives the guitar a much more lively feel than blocking the trem. You do have to learn to not lean your palm onto the saddles hard when you are playing.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 02-02-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
I was very tired when I posted this last night. Detune, adjust, see where you're at tuning up, rinse wash repeat. It doesn't have to completely flush. Some like the trem to "float", others prefer "decked". When I've had strats mine were closer to decked which I think adds to tuning stability which was my priority. You'll find discussion and demonstration in videos. Good luck!
Yeah, I use three springs and let the bridge float. Stays in tune when I whammy, so I figure I'm doing it right.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Yeah, I use three springs and let the bridge float. Stays in tune when I whammy, so I figure I'm doing it right.
I use 3 springs as well and a floating bridge. I have had my 2 Strats set up that way for decades.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars