The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
There is only one review on youtube, and I guess it is sponsored too.
The outcoming sound is muddy and requires further EQ.
So either the review by Aaron is pointless due to incorrect procedure, or the difference is in the pickups and in the Eq applied by the sound engineers in the studio.
I'd really like to see an independent review!
My video isn’t sponsored and I didn’t process it in any way. Obviously you would process it with the built in EQ and the sound engineers for SNL could have done extensive processing to the sound, it would be nice to know exactly what they did. That is one of the best live performances I have ever heard, especially the pitch and control in Kacey’s voice. Amazing.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 PM

I saw it live! I remarked to my wife about the TD2, how good the sound was for that specific show, and how much I liked the performance. You should be proud.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

I guess the problem is the TD2 does such an incredible job people have to believe there’s more that needs to be done. I’d bet all that had to happen in the studio was adjusting levels for the house.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
My video isn’t sponsored and I didn’t process it in any way. Obviously you would process it with the built in EQ and the sound engineers for SNL could have done extensive processing to the sound, it would be nice to know exactly what they did. That is one of the best live performances I have ever heard, especially the pitch and control in Kacey’s voice. Amazing.
Aaron, although Kacey has a great voice and performed well in the SNL video, I can hear signal processing for her voice (especially on her louder, higher-frequency passages) that is similar to what my TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 offers with its one-button setting that engages an "automatic intelligent sound engineer" or some jargon to that effect. The setting adds an almost imperceptible amount of doubling, frequency correction, and compression for a quick and easy good-sounding vocal tone. I hear this type of processing in Kacey's voice in the video although it's likely done with much more expensive gear than the TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 or newer VoiceLive 3 Extreme.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-06-2024, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Aaron, although Kacey has a great voice and performed well in the SNL video, I can hear signal processing for her voice (especially on her louder, higher-frequency passages) that is similar to what my TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 offers with its one-button setting that engages an "automatic intelligent sound engineer" or some jargon to that effect. The setting adds an almost imperceptible amount of doubling, frequency correction, and compression for a quick and easy good-sounding vocal tone. I hear this type of processing in Kacey's voice in the video although it's likely done with much more expensive gear than the TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 or newer VoiceLive 3 Extreme.
I hear it too but I wish I knew exactly what processing was used. I have been watching her other performances and she sounds consistently great. I think she is an amazing singer and also has a great team as well. Pretty rare these days.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I hear it too but I wish I knew exactly what processing was used. I have been watching her other performances and she sounds consistently great. I think she is an amazing singer and also has a great team as well. Pretty rare these days.

We agree! She’s terrific and well presented.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:07 AM

Again, I can't see the video, but was it of Kacey Musgraves live on SNL? I only ask because obviously a few of you are talking about that, but Lr Baggs posted a video where a member of Musgrave's band thanked Baggs for the amazing live sound. Were the members using Baggs along with the TD?
Old 03-06-2024, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to know what the source pickups were as well. Sounds great. She is a great songwriter. I know most things in Nashville (and elsewhere) are written by committee, but her whole catalog, going back to "Same Trailer Different Park" is great.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Again, I can't see the video, but was it of Kacey Musgraves live on SNL? I only ask because obviously a few of you are talking about that, but Lr Baggs posted a video where a member of Musgrave's band thanked Baggs for the amazing live sound. Were the members using Baggs along with the TD?

Yes. Success has many fathers. But the credit here goes to James May and his ToneDexter. That was not an LR Baggs pickup sound we heard. It was corrected.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:22 AM

I thought the sound was terrific. Congrats to James for that.

OTOH, I don't want to be ugly, but I wasn't a fan of the mini-skirt length quilted bathrobe look. Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes. Success has many fathers. But the credit here goes to James May and his ToneDexter. That was not an LR Baggs pickup sound we heard. It was corrected.
Just to be clear as well, I am not trying to downplay the TD at all, I was just a bit confused by the Instagram shoutout to Baggs about the quality of the sound. I actually saw the shootout before this thread, so I was assuming that at least one of the instruments was just the Baggs.

On a side note, it would be interesting to know if the band uses the TD live. SNL is a very intimate setting where things can be eq'd. I wonder on a loud stage if it's as easy to use.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

There are (were?) quite a few artists working large venues with the TD 1 - who’s upgraded, or who’s still using their 1, or who’s just started with the II, I doubt anyone really knows, but James probably has a pretty reasonable idea about some of it. Whether he can or will disclose it is a separate question - but I imagine in the months ahead we’ll hear about more people - it’s still a very new product!
Old 03-07-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Just to be clear as well, I am not trying to downplay the TD at all, I was just a bit confused by the Instagram shoutout to Baggs about the quality of the sound. I actually saw the shootout before this thread, so I was assuming that at least one of the instruments was just the Baggs.

On a side note, it would be interesting to know if the band uses the TD live. SNL is a very intimate setting where things can be eq'd. I wonder on a loud stage if it's as easy to use.

At least one of the guitars had an anthem. If there’s an endorsement deal, it’s not hard to imagine why they got a shout out.

TDII’s sounded great!
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 03-07-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the wonderful sound in the video. The sound in your demo is on the opposite site Aaron, it is muddy!! But could it be because the mic was pointing to the hole instead of the front body? It is not clear how you positioned the mic. What the mic picks up, is what you would like to get back, so if the sound from the mic is not good, it cannot get any better.

Agree on the performance. Voice is using probably a TC helicon for doubling and choruses. I am using one of those toys tonight!
Old 03-07-2024, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
I was talking about the wonderful sound in the video. The sound in your demo is on the opposite site Aaron, it is muddy!! But could it be because the mic was pointing to the hole instead of the front body? It is not clear how you positioned the mic. What the mic picks up, is what you would like to get back, so if the sound from the mic is not good, it cannot get any better.

Agree on the performance. Voice is using probably a TC helicon for doubling and choruses. I am using one of those toys tonight!
I just placed the mic where the neck meets the body. I didn’t do any processing with the built in EQ because I wanted to show how accurately the TDII copied the mic. Obviously if you want it to sound good you are going to use the built in EQ options and also outboard gear as well. A lot of microphones do sound muddy when they are raw.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification