The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-03-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maybe not huge but it would be an improvement. An undersaddle will never sound like an acoustic. At least with the HiFi, you are getting some of the acoustic characteristics of the guitar it's installed in.

The way Lowdens work with the Matrix, it’s a pretty good sound. I don’t know if they burry the transducer like they do with the Highlander or what? But that’s a very well designed bridge.

My friend has a Lowden F with the split factory Matrix Infinity and I don’t think the HiFi would improve on it. HiFi is still piezo. Plus it’s a lot of work for an experiment.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

I played the J50 with the HiFi at another open mic in a crowded bar last night. Very mediocre sound setup in the room. (Nice crowd of friends). The HiFi was OK. Not stellar, but OK in the monitors. But so was every guitar that night. And another player asked me what pickup I had. He said it sounded very good out in the room. I told him, "The HiFi." And he said, "I thought it might be that."

So there's that.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I played the J50 with the HiFi at another open mic in a crowded bar last night. Very mediocre sound setup in the room. (Nice crowd of friends). The HiFi was OK. Not stellar, but OK in the monitors. But so was every guitar that night. And another player asked me what pickup I had. He said it sounded very good out in the room. I told him, "The HiFi." And he said, "I thought it might be that."

So there's that.
Thanks for the report Marshall. I can't wait to get mine installed.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-04-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:

So there's that.
Hi Marshall,

I’ll second Joe’s comment. Keep those HiFi reports coming! If the REB doesn’t work out, I may have to get one - so I can wire a mag to it.

PS Speak of the devil, the REB just arrived.

Last edited by guitaniac; 11-04-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:19 AM

Anyone else using a HiFi in a gig situation?
Old 03-08-2024, 11:47 AM

Not yet but it's going in my next electronics install or upgrade. I played with it at NAMM last year and it was excellent.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone else using a HiFi in a gig situation?
Still loving mine. Got to hear mine played by someone else last week, loved that, too. If you let other people play your guitar, remember to tell them that the volume pot is backwards. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 03-09-2024, 03:04 PM

I have been gigging the HiFi since i got my new guitar in August. I absolutely love it and it has been head and shoulders above a lot of the other guitars I have heard out there. If there has been a fellow musician in the crowd for my gigs they have all commented on the sound of the guitar, which is pretty cool.

Unfortunately most of my gigs are recorded with a cell phone so I'm not sure that they represent the sound the best, but you can feel free to check them out on my youtube channel, I have a few clips posted of playing various venues - www.youtube.com/@AnthonyDeyoeMusic

As far as gigging in a loud environment, I have played it with a full band and not had any feedback issues to speak of. I also played a solo acoustic gig at a bar with probably 100+ people in it through my EV30M with a buddy on harmonica, with no feedback issues there as well.

I am very happy with it and actually looking to possibly install one in my Alvarez and cutting out the Alvarez barndoor set up I have now.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

So there's that.
That was a while ago. I have since removed the HiFi. It worked quite well, but one chord pattern I play in a regular song would distort. . . , Nothing else I played on that guitar/pickup would do that. Maybe it was something about my installation, but I couldn't live with it. That guitar now has a Go-Acoustic pickup in it. That's working well.

I'm not against the HiFi. It worked pretty well, except for my one problem. I just wasn't interested in ferreting that out at the time to try to fix it. I am considering trying a HiFi-Duet when they become available.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Unfortunately most of my gigs are recorded with a cell phone so I'm not sure that they represent the sound the best, but you can feel free to check them out on my youtube channel, I have a few clips posted of playing various venues - www.youtube.com/@AnthonyDeyoeMusic
Of topic, but how do you like that new Audigo wireless mic? Do you think it sounds better than the iphone's internal mic? Thanks
Old 03-15-2024, 08:54 AM

If I may ask a somewhat narrower question: how many are using the HiFi live through a console/PA; in other words not an amp of any kind, but into a PA, pref through a mixer. I'm interested in how much/little EQ the HiFi needs to "sound good" FOH. Thanks!

Edward
Old 03-15-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
If I may ask a somewhat narrower question: how many are using the HiFi live through a console/PA; in other words not an amp of any kind, but into a PA, pref through a mixer. I'm interested in how much/little EQ the HiFi needs to "sound good" FOH. Thanks!

Edward
Me. And it usually works fine run flat. But once in a while the clear, high treble won't sound so great through an older/cheaper PA's crummy tweeters, so it helps to roll a bit of the high treble off at the mixer (not at the guitar). I've seen this happen with Tonedexters, too. Such a thing as "too good." The problem may be a bit exacerbated with me because I'm mainly a flatpicker.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification