The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Grovers for National Tricone - Which ones?

Greetings again!

Come to find out, National stopped using the 3+3 Nickel Grover machine heads on their Tricones a few years back.
Being a 'stickler' for original equipment parts, I want to purchase a new set just to stash for the future.
The part numbers indicate that the set can be one of two possibilities ... a horizontal OR vertical set. This is indicated by the part number - H138N or V138N.
Which set is it as they both look the same to me on web site pictures? What am I not seeing? Me thinks it is the Verticals???
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
Greetings again!

Come to find out, National stopped using the 3+3 Nickel Grover machine heads on their Tricones a few years back.
Being a 'stickler' for original equipment parts, I want to purchase a new set just to stash for the future.
The part numbers indicate that the set can be one of two possibilities ... a horizontal OR vertical set. This is indicated by the part number - H138N or V138N.
Which set is it as they both look the same to me on web site pictures? What am I not seeing? Me thinks it is the Verticals???
Email National. They'll get back to you. I've found them very helpful on small things that make them no money.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 AM

I've had a relationship with the company for years. It's awesome that they are a big company in the reso market but still small enough so that you get an answer without jumping through endless hoops.

I use these on all my national guitars. For slotted headstocks and flat headstocks.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...xst=3&xsr=3522
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 AM

For anyone who cares ... 'horizontal' tuners are a straight peg meant only for slotted heads like on the National Style One TriCone.

'Vertical', refers to posts going through the back of the head and having the taper for the strings as on most stringed instruments.

I'm so happy ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments